Thumbs up to Firaxis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what to say.

I do understand though- I have always understood the difference in saying 'English' as opposed to 'British'. My point is that if I see some Londoner hanging around (not Scottsman, not an Irish Lass, but a Londoner) I will ask that person, "Pardon me, do you prefer to be called an Englander or a Britanian?", at which point I get a scowl.

I guess you are just being sensitive on this whole issue.

But in terms of the game, I don't see it being a big deal either way, in the same way that I don't care that I am called an American, even though I live in the U.S., and even though some of my American friends live in Canada, and that Mexicans are never called Americans.
    Last edited by Sarxis; October 18, 2001, 00:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
      "Pardon me, do you prefer to be called an Englander or a Britanian?", at which point I get a scowl.
      No doubt! I've only heard "Englander" used by Nazi characters in bad WWII flicks. (And "Britanian" isn't a word.)

Comment

The way it works -

In Scotland - A Scot does something good - It's a triumph for the Scottish people.
        An Englishman does something good - It's a triumph for the British people.

In England - An Englishman does something good - It's a triumph for England.
        A Scotsman does something good - It's a triumph for Great Britian.

When something goes wrong we try and blame the Irish.

And we try and give full credit to the Welsh cause everyone loves a Welshman ( maybe it's cause their so less nationally arrogant / prideful ( word? Nope. Don't think so ) than the rest of us are.

Ireland don't care, the southern ones are just in it for a laugh and the northen ones are too busy picking fights with each other over what way they chose to worship the same religion than they ignore everyone else ( except when the 'real' IRA wants to make a point. Then they blow up a car......... No one knows what they mean yet...... they probably don't either. )

Meanwhile my dad is experiencing the wonders of being part of Europe - It's not that Scots can't organise a piss-up in a brewery, but the Germans are widely accepted as the best beer drinkers in Europe, a group from the tourist board are comming over for a drinking binge and invited my dad to come too And very nice of them too............
        A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Faboba: I think that pretty much summed it up...especially the part about the beer. More people should try to understand world conflict from the standpoint of beer-drinking. Seriously.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

nemo: sorry for threadjack, i just cannot resist

yin: you were a moderator? why did markG take it away from you?
            jerkwaterbox: this, again, might be below the belt, but the majority of the people here are much older than you and isaac so your disagreement with the rest of us is understandable. perhaps you two can start a truly free speech forum where you can abuse each other till kingdom come. this is PRIVATE forum and if you do not like the mods, you leave....

Comment

yin: you were a moderator? why did markG take it away from you?
              Ummm. Long story. But even Markos admits I was the best moderator this forum ever had! (true story)
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by isaac brock
                I admit it was out of line. A strict warning would be just as effective though. If he had a problem at any time he could say "I'll ban you if you use that language again." And, as a result, I would have stopped doing that. I was getting carried away. Mark G, however, isn't a benevolent administrator. He's a swift vengeance, old-testament kind of administrator. Is he fair? Not as much as he could be. I'm not asking him to bend over backwards for me. Mark G would spend no more time warning me than banning me. I didn't think of the word pr*ck was as offencive as he did. As a result I was banned for a week. Fair? To those like you, who tremble before the mighty name of Sir Isaac Brock, I suppose it was. But to all those who have well-meaningly offended on the forums, understand my plight.
                Let's make this simple...

Is Apolyton a private forum? Yes.
                Is Mark the moderator? Yes.
                As such does he have the RIGHT to do whatever he pleases to people who visit his PRIVATE forum? YES.

You stepped over a boundary that Mark felt warranted your banning so you were gone. If you want free speech and the ability to say what ytou want then open your own forum. Until then, stop whining about what is "fair" and how 'mean' Mark was. He warned you once that your language was inappropriate, he didn't need to spoon feed you a warning, you should have been intelligent enough to understand what he said. Everyone else did.

Comment

No Markos is the admin....... which is much more important

What about Dan? Whenever we talk of those that weild the big power round here everyone always forgets Dan!

Four cheers for the Admins! ( divide them out as you see fit )
                  A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Hooray!!
                    Hooray!!
                    Hooray!!
                    Hooray!!

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

What about Dan?
                      Dan is the sane one. That's why you don't see much of him.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                        So the people who post here a lot are the insane ones??
                        Hmm, by some strange coincidence, your post-count seems rather high, Yin!!
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

If an insane man agrees that he's insane, does that mean he's cured?

Comment

Originally posted by yin26

That is the greatest thing I have heard today.
                            "The Bible is the greatest sales pitch in history" -Me

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto

Comment

Originally posted by jerkwaterbox

That is the greatest thing I have heard today.
                              You sure sound a lot like Isaac.. your names were registered around the same time too.. Funny how life has these little "coinsidinces".

Comment

Working...
                              X