Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power plants and strategical resources

In short:

(coal/oil) power plant: do I need coal/oil in the trade network?
    hydro plant: river, sea as in CivII?
    nuclear (fission) plant: uranium in the trade network?

new types of plants?
    The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

I think it unlikely from what we have heard that resources will be needed for buildings. I found CtP's decision to unlink the proximity of water with irrigation and farmland sensible. The maps are just too macro-scale to show all the small rivers. Similarly in Civ III the number of sources of common resources like coal would be overwhelming. Limiting them to restricted locations and only tying them into a few critical items makes the game more playable.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

Actually I think this would be sensible. You could always build sources of renewable energy (hydro plant, solar plant) later on in the game so you can get energy. Of course the nuclear and power plants would bring their own advantages and disadvantages (cheap, plenty of reliable power).

So yeah, I think resources to build buildings is a good idea!
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Speaking of power plants, I wonder if they will have the same effect as in civ2? In civ2 they increased the shield output, although not by very much.

Maybe there will be a national grid system where each power plant benefits all cities? Like the satelites in SMAC?

Comment

I think it would be wize to make these buildings dependant on a civilizations supply of natural resources, after all, that should be part of the economic model.

I hope Firaxis put this in there.
          Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
          "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

As rubber is needed for the Mass Transit System, why wouldn't uranium be needed for a Nuclear Plant?

What happens if you trade uranium from someone and builds powerplants. Then you get in war with that civ and loses your uranium. Will your plant still work?
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

This also razes another question:

If you build a certain building like a factory, and then loose your supply of coal, would you still be able to use your factory?
              Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
              "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

i remember them saying an airport needs oil.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I think resources will be used only for building proposals, not for mantaining. If u need one resource for mantaining a building, wouldnt be enought resources for all the civs and wars will be something of all days, like in CIVII, and thats not something Firaxis wants.
                  Roman: Civilization belongs to the civilized. Attila: It belogs to those who have the power to conquer it. Me: Nope, it belongs to me. Coz ive paid 50 bucks and it has a 30 days satisfaction guarantee.
                  Asesino_Virtual

Comment

I don't know, I guess that everybody wants one of each resource anyway. But most likely you will only need it when it first is built.

Comment

bah, i think you should need upkeep costs, but then again i also proposed stockpiling resources
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                        bah, i think you should need upkeep costs, but then again i also proposed stockpiling resources
                        Viva la Colonization!

I wanted stockpiles too.

Comment

To require resources in the upkeep of buildings is fairly ludicrous consider in a war - you lose your city which you generate all your uranium in - all your power plants are destroyed - it's insane.

It's much more likely ( and if correct, another big for Firaxis ) that they will be required more simply for the initial construction of civic improvments.

I disagree with the notion of removing rivers/ocean tiles nearby as a requirement to build irrigation. It adds another degree of challenge and realism. Afterall you're not going to fight another more powerful civilization for a fertile river delta, if you can just terraform your own in the middle of a dessert.
                          A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

If resources are needed for building upkeep we'll all want stockpiles.

Surely there is a point at which the resource system could become a real barrier to game play, and this may be it for me. Talk about making warfare difficult.

David
                            "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Appears to me that one source of a resource supplies all that is needed as long as it is available. So there's no such thing as stockpiles, and the same resource can both facilitate building a city improvement and sustaining it. CTP 1 and 2 were NOT developed by the Firaxis team and will not be a source of ideas or code.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X