Resources vs tile transformation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources vs tile transformation

In Civ 2 resources change after a player transform the tiles they are in.

Wil this happen in Civ 3, esp with regards to strategic resources that I don't know of yet?

It would be really bad if I accidentally transforms something vital. Like turning saltpeter into bananas.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

AFAIK, you keep the same resource you had before - yes, I know, can be whales on plains if you terraform sea - but this is just a conjecture discussed in another thread
    The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

Prehaps it destroys the resource, I wouldn't be suprised....

Comment

Now that the type of resource actually matters more than determining how many food, shield and arrow icons it produces there must have been something done to prevent widespread transformation. The most likely way is to lose the resource if the tile is changed.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Theoretically the game should be able to keep them, but nothing is confirmed. The only thing that has been said is that you can set any resource to be able to appear on any terrain. Therefor it isn't as in Civ2 where there only were 3 options (resource1, resource2 or no resource), but an option to tell what resource that exists. Exactly how the game handles transformations is unknown. What if you transform a tile to a terrain that can't handle that resource? Will the game check that and destroy/change resource, or will the game just check such things when the resources are placed for the first time?
          The most logical would be to allow the resources to stay, unless another flag (not known if exist), can't be on, is set for the new terrain type. In that case the resource should be destroyed.

This is just speculations, take nothing for granted
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

The underlying hypotesis is that we will have a terrain map separate from a resource map: you can modify the first without damaging the second.
            The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

You may be right. I was under the impression you would only find new resources on the right terrain but that does not force existing ones to disappear if the terrain changes.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

It will have to depend on the kind of resources in the least. If it's something a player needs to dig up, transforming probably has no effect. On the other hand, things like Silk, Spices, and the like will be destroyed if you change the tiles on which they reside.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                X