No Demo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Demo?

I've got word that there are no plans for a Demo of Civ 3. After reading the thread about Fait in Firaxis, I got more doubt than ever, that Civ 3 will be a sequel worth buying.

I got that bad taste in my mouth i've got after Westwood's great fraud, you remember? No Demos, not even for Game Journals, presentations only beyond closed doors for small groups, not allowed to test it on their own. Manipulated Pictures declared as screenshots. And so on.

Since then, after some other bad experiences with hyped games, I only buy games I have tested before. Usually in a demo. Most of my friend do it the same way, at least all that where interested in Civ 3, so I don't get a chance to test it that way. Last way is to get a Warez Copy from the net. Some may call it illegal, I call it self protection.

Don't get my wrong, I loved Civ and Civ 2, Civ 2 is still installed on my PC and I still play it But Alpha Centauri lies now in a corner. Somehow it wasn't that fun like Civ 2. I can't name why. I played it thru a few times and enjoyed it, but it hasn't the same "Impact" like Civ 2. And this was the first Game of Firaxis, remember?

But in todays time, a good Game is no guarantee for a good sequel. I just can't understand why they don't offer a Demo. Have they something to hide? Aren't they convinced of their own game? Are they expecting people will buy the Game if they have doubts? Sure, some will. But are those sufficient? I don't know.
    I think to produce a Demo of a Game is today mandatory.

I want that Demo

Just my two cents, but I will be interested in your opinions.
    Greetings
    Lord Grey
    Yes
    45.90%
    No
    42.62%
    I have already the Game, but would have like a Demo
    11.48%

The poll is expired.

Re: No Demo?

I personally think that a demo of a TBS game is unuseable, a such demo just don't give the right feeling of the game...

Originally posted by LordGrey ofLeva
    Last way is to get a Warez Copy from the net. Some may call it illegal, I call it self protection.
    I call the warez copy the demo...I don't trust demos anyway, they only show the good parts of the games, while the real game has most bad parts (I have seen that in too many games by now). Everytime a new game (I could image myself buying) is near to be released I always try to find a warez copy, if the game is good I'll buy the game, if not then...yeah, then I wont buy it. it's that simple. It's not like I say "hey I got the wares copy, now I don't need to buy the game"
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I would definitely like a demo, though only if it came out before the actual release.

Comment

A demo would be good, yes.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I would like a demo, but as ADG says, it doesn't always work well with TBS.

Comment

What is TBS?

And if anyone have a Page for downloading a Demo, please E-Mail it to me

Comment

A demo before the release would have been a fine thing. But after the release I don't need it anymore ..

Comment

TBS= turn based strategy

Comment

Demos are marketing tools. Civ3 will sell without one, thus there
                  is no point in making one.

We should all be glad that Firaxis is using the time on other things instead of wasting it building a demo. And don't try to tell me that a demo is "easy" to make, it's not.
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

The SMAC demo worked just great for a TSB, put me right off buying the game till it was reduced.

David
                    "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

I do not need a demo.
                      We will start getting all sorts of REAL screenshots and reviews after October 22 when people who got a game in advance will have their lips unsealed (contracturally).

I will probably be spending more money on their Civ3 than most, since I will soon be buying a Wintel computer just to play it (after I can find a place to put it)!

Comment

Do I want a demo? YES, who wouldn't want an early sneak peek
                        Will I cry and whine if my exact needs are not met? NO
                        I don't do drugs anymore 'cause i find i can get the same effect by standing up really fast.

I live in my own little world, but its ok; they know me here.

Comment

I don't need a demo, i've barely ever played a demo of a game i'm going to buy. Civ2 or civ1 didn't have a demo and it turned out to be a great game(at least i don't remeber it having one).
                          In CFC someone already has the game and said that it was awesome. if you don't know what i'm talking about go to the thread advanced copy review.
                          Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

It was announced months ago that there will be no demo. Whether or not we want one is moot. This poll is pointless.
                            Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

markg will have a "demo" out soon now wont he?
                              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                              X