This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A late complain

I know that this has probably been discussed for long, but...
    isn't Civ3 a little to US-centric?

Wall street
    The Pentagon
    Manhattan Project

These are some examples of MINOR wonders (not the major ones, which obviously are peculiar to one civilization in history and so shall be in Civ3) that are, let's say, too "north-american".
    On Wall Street in particular: "the City" in London is the oldest, most historic national stock exchange on the planet.
    What about:

National S. Exchange
    Ministry of Defence
    Nuclear Project

There are also other issues of the like, but I am just conderned about these, just because of the fact that they are MINOR (and consequently GENERAL) wonders.
    Do anybody share my point of view?
    The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

ask yourself "where is the game gona sell most?" and you've just found the answer to your question...
    "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Originally posted by splangy
      ask yourself "where is the game gona sell most?" and you've just found the answer to your question...
      Yes, I know, I just think that even a US civ player can have enough taste for historical accuracy to shiver at building the Pentagon in Moscow.
      The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

Everything in the game is editable (is that a word, sounds too much like a can eat it...). If you want to call it the Nuclear Project, go right ahead and call it the Nuclear Project. Another one of the great things about Civ III.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
          Everything in the game is editable (is that a word, sounds too much like a can eat it...). If you want to call it the Nuclear Project, go right ahead and call it the Nuclear Project. Another one of the great things about Civ III.
          Again, I agree and appreciate this. But that' not the point. I do not want to change the game, I just want to know what do you think about it. And by the way, I can't customize (easily) any civilopedia that celebrates me the economic glory of Wall Street

Comment

i agree

You should named this wonder as you wish.

Comment

The entire concept of creating shares and trading them originated in Europe, so I can see their point.

By the same token, this is an American company.
              Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
              "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

I take the point about renaming but it does seem to be more of the subtle unintentional racism I was mentioning earlier that while they are calling a nations defense centre 'The Pentagon' they have renamed J.S Bach's Catherdral to simple 'Great Cathedral'.

The point about sales is true but it points out the truth in my "subtle unintentional racism" comment yet again......
                A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Once again an American turns a blind eye to accusations of their rapidly growing nationalism.........

Comment

Put it this way...

I once told an American lady that I was from Canada, and she replied: "Is that in the Caribbean?"

Comment

That.......

Your........

That isn't a Canadian flag is it??????

I was expecting maple leaves.......

Comment

That's the flag for the Ontario province in Canada. I just like the way it looks.

The Canadian flag before 1967 was either the British flag, or a flag that looks very similar to my Avatar. It was called the red standard.

Comment

Yes, it IS "US-centric."
                            Considering where it is being created from, are there any other 'better' ways to do it? Should 'flavor' be dropped and everything be named generically?
                            Or how about a splattering of obscure, authentic names from different societies that would have little or no name recognition? Then add an historical encyclopedia to really enrich our lives.

This is a lose-lose argument, because however you do it, it will seem wrong to a lot of people.

Actually, all of the civs should have been given generic names. No historical names at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                              Considering where it is being created from, are there any other 'better' ways to do it?
                              Nobody said better, I just wondered if it could be more "politically correct" or historically accurate without being obscure, as you say.
                              Should 'flavor' be dropped and everything be named generically?
                              Ah, now it is called "flavor"
                              Or how about a splattering of obscure, authentic names from different societies that would have little or no name recognition? Then add an historical encyclopedia to really enrich our lives.
                              Well, it seems you are right, since Sid took out the obscure "Bach" designation and went for "Grand Cathedral"
                              Apart from the jokes, do you really think that "American" is equal to "well known"? This fuel prejudices on US people not knowing much of the "outer space". And I do not mean Europe, but also India, China, etc. (even Canada! I mean, it's big and it's on your heads!)
                              [...]however you do it, it will seem wrong to a lot of people.
                              I agree. And the facts too
                              Actually, all of the civs should have been given generic names. No historical names at all.
                              Here I do not agree. You can try and look for a better compromise,
                              don't you? But it seems that nobody tried, instead they cut on what is NOT tipical of US (the aforementioned Bach, for instance, which anyway I think was misused for a cathedral).
                              Believe me, I am not trying to make the game less American, as you say it is made there and I will probably buy it soon because I like it, I would just like it to be more "global", that's it.
                              What I wanted in this thread were opinions, and I really appreciate you gave yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X