hard time for science oriented players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jingo
    firaxis confirmed long ago that there are at least 3 areas for each resource on every map, and i assume there will be more on larger maps.
    my point is that; unless resources are scarse, it will be very likely that every civ will have access to most of the resources, devastating the new resource & trade & diplomacy thing.

more difficult the access to a particular resource, the more important that will be, be it horse or uranium..

Comment

Cort, I would guess that the "ignore quantity issue" was one of those Sid game play/fun vs realism decisions.

To make it quantity realistic they'd have to put a lot more resources out there so every one had access in their area, and maybe that really cluttered the map, ugly ugly ugly.

Or if they made it quantity realistic in terms of not every resource everywhere, they found that a guaranteed percentage of cultures always got wiped out very early in the game. Something like that, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Howling Chip
        Cort, I would guess that the "ignore quantity issue" was one of those Sid game play/fun vs realism decisions.

To make it quantity realistic they'd have to put a lot more resources out there so every one had access in their area, and maybe that really cluttered the map, ugly ugly ugly.

Or if they made it quantity realistic in terms of not every resource everywhere, they found that a guaranteed percentage of cultures always got wiped out very early in the game. Something like that, maybe.
        i agree with you.. its clear that they give up the quantity issue to make a better gameplay..

after all, we have to trust this sid guy..

Comment

The people that get gunpowder first will be the first ones to see the Saltpeter. So while they might not have the advantage at first, they'll still be the first to have the advantage of GUNS.

I certainly hope that not every civ will have access to Oil or horses or whetever. That will be the difference between Commercial and Militaristic civs. The Commercial one might trade for the Oil, but the Military oriented one would just TAKE IT.

That sid guy... must i remind you that SMIG!!!!
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
            The people that get gunpowder first will be the first ones to see the Saltpeter. So while they might not have the advantage at first, they'll still be the first to have the advantage of GUNS.
            how?
            i have discovered the gunpowder but I have no saltpeter..
            i cannot trade cause no one knows about it. I know there is saltpeter around the world but its in the mainland of one of my foes.. cannot invade there cause im a science oriented civ, not spending much on military..

so, how shall i take advantage of guns? just continue to research.. discover metallurgy (cannons).. still no saltpeter?!

ps. not complaining actually.. the fun is to overcome these kind of situations..

Comment

I remember Dan saying that ressources would come in "chunks" to certain areas, so that the likelyhood of a civilization getting access to all the ressources on its territory alone is very low.

Looks like OCC is going to be a lot trickier in Civ3.

(OCC = One City Challenge)
              Student: You can't give us this test, I don't understand anything!
              Teacher: What would be the point of giving you a test if you understood?

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshi
                Looks like OCC is going to be a lot trickier in Civ3.
                I disagree. Resources are primarily there for military purposes, and OCC is certainly not a military strategy. It may be necessary to bribe the odd unit when you can't build what you want, but not often. And the culture victory sounds just made for OCC.
                "Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
                - Samuel Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Cort
                  for the most part, i think the new resource system is cool and will add to the gameplay a lot. However, i cannot understand why designers ignored the quantity issue.
                  The decision; "you can produce any number of ironclads provided that you have access to a single coal" doesnot seem to be realistic.
                  we have to wait and see but unless the resources are found REALLY scarse, this "one is enough" thing can make things very simple, destroying the whole idea..
                  I agree. If what you say is true, I am very disappointed. Each resource access point should only contribute to the building of a set number of units. (Not necessarily one, but maybe ten or so).

Having one source give you the means of producing as many of that unit as you want negates the whole purpose of resources in the first place. What then, is the point of having them in the game?

I'm crossing my fingers that you are wrong! No offense intended.
                  Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

True this may make the game more difficult, but it will still make it more challenging. If you don't like then go back to Civ 2.
                    The greatest generals in history didn't use war simulations, they just played Civ 2

An old saying goes "For every language a man knows, he is that many times a man"
                    Therefore, George Bush is half a man.

Comment

cort, a very nice assumption indeed. it really looks like the game will be more strategy and less mouse clicking

Comment

The Resourse system is probably one of the most exciting features in Civ3. I like the idea that you can be cruising along, building your perfectly rational, peace-loving, scientific/trading empire and suddenly you're f_cked because some resource is completely unavaible to you and so you must suddenly switch strategies. Kind of like real life when the US has oil problems.

Comment

That's why it's also a good idea to have a high culture. The higher your culture, the bigger your border, and the more chances you have at finding new resources.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

One solution to the science vs military debate here is to play as the Germans...(which I probably would have done anyway)...since they have the Militaristic and Scientific bonuses. This might be enough of a bonus to smooth out the glitches of not having immediate access to resources.

I'm _really_ excited about exploring all the new strategies made possible by resources, culture, Civ bonuses and special units, and all the rest of the new gameplay features. Two more weeks!
                            "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

people will be fighting to build roads to that little curanium mine deep in the mountains..... so they can stick a mining colony on it.. and also garrison it with military units !

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
                                The Resourse system is probably one of the most exciting features in Civ3. I like the idea that you can be cruising along, building your perfectly rational, peace-loving, scientific/trading empire and suddenly you're f_cked because some resource is completely unavaible to you and so you must suddenly switch strategies. Kind of like real life when the US has oil problems.
                                so once upon a time US was a rational, peace loving empire?
                                ý didnot know that

Comment

Working...
                                X