Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artillery and Cannon: They need other units to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Executor

Considering the rarity of armies, I would have to assume a stack would work, else artillery would be nigh useless.

Btw, did you change your username a few days ago? I always preferred UberKruX.
    yes i certainly did. and everyone seems to be saying that.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Jingo

oh, i thought you were some other idiot using uber's avatar. your posts seem differant now
      Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Jingo just sounds, for lack of a better word, childish.
        Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Executor

Considering the rarity of armies, I would have to assume a stack would work, else artillery would be nigh useless.
          Don't see how. Were they useless in Civ 2 ( even without the bombard ability? )

You put a couple of them along with a unit with a good defensive rating and lay seige to the nearby enemy city until it can be taken by your army ( which is in effect just a big unit ) without risk.
          A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

a jingo is a vociferous patriot with a billegerent foriegn policy.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

a jingo is a vociferous patriot with a billegerent foriegn policy.
              That may be true, but that's not what comes to mind when I think about it.
              Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Jingo!

So according to you, they need to be accompanied by another unit in order to be used. How do you come to that conclusion in a screen shot?
                Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
                "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Ralf

Infact, its seems easier to me to have them in armies - you move around 1 single army-stack, instead of 3-4 units independently. Also, I dont think one is forced to have them in armies only
                  well if armies were of unlimited size then i would agree with you, but since armies are limited to three units until you build the pentagon having even a single catapult in your army would cut the attack and defense power of your army by a third

they ARE self-operating
                  i agree, and what i was saying is that if catapults aren't self operating then it will be horrible for gameplay...why should you be forced to have to stack units with an artillary piece to make it work?

Crouchback

So I'm hoping that putting a defensive unit on the same tile as my artillery will be enough to protect them.
                  stacking any 0.0 unit with a military unit seems like it should protect that unit from being captured

hey i liked Uberkrux better as well

btw you do realize that jingo is a derogatory term don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                    hey i liked Uberkrux better as well
                    Now you can vote for the better name: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=29412

Comment

How bombardment works: my perception

Bombarding units (e.g., catapults, cannon), have a range of 1 or more squares. If the particular piece has 1 square range, you are going to want to stack it (ala Civ2) with a defensive unit. If it has more than 1 square range, you may still want to, just in case. You do not NEED to stack them with another unit for them to be 'manned'.

I would guess that Catapults have a 1 square range. Cannon, Destroyers, Cruisers and Battleships: 2 or 3. Being on a hill or mountain increases it by 1(?).

Including bombardment units within armies is probably going to be a waste, because I do not believe that bombardment has ANY value during the combat procedure. Bombardment is separate, before combat. Instead, just stack them with an army if you wish.

Obviously, this totally flies in the face of any concept of tiles being 200 miles across, so please forget the analogy, and get over it.
                      Last edited by Jaybe; October 14, 2001, 16:40.

Comment

This is a little OT, but does anyone know if every unit in a stack dies when one unit in the stack is defeated in combat, like in Civ 2? Or are units killed individually regardless of whether or not they are in a stack. I always hated having to spread my forces out along a wide front to avoid annihilation by one enemy unit, so I hope this is out of Civ 3.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          This is a little OT, but does anyone know if every unit in a stack dies when one unit in the stack is defeated in combat, like in Civ 2? Or are units killed individually regardless of whether or not they are in a stack. I always hated having to spread my forces out along a wide front to avoid annihilation by one enemy unit, so I hope this is out of Civ 3.
                          It's really unclear at this point, though I would think that artillery types will be destroyed or captured. There has been no official word as to the mechanics.

Probably either (1) retreat, if they are fast enough; or (2) dead, as in Civ2.

If the AI is good at attacking (or you're playing MP), it is GOOD to have your troops spread out behind the front! You have depth in your defense.

Comment

Another alternative is that the bombard unit adds its firepower to another unit's attack if the unit is adjacent (or in range, or whatever). So your 1-1-1 warrior attacks with a 5 if accompanied by a catapult. Possibly he defends as a 5 if stacked with the bombarding unit. Some war games use artillery in this manner. That would make that "0(4)" attack factor notation make some kind of sense.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Wait a cotton picking minute, I thought stacks of any sort except armies were OUT.

What I meant was that I expected to be moving all the units involved independently and separately, but making sure I kept a good defensive unit with the 0 defence units.

Painful micromanagement anyone?

David
                              "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Ok, let's say you got a cannon on a mountain that can bombard up to say, three spaces away. Regardless of your target, any experienced Civ player's not gonna leave a lone cannon within three spaces of enemy units (except if it's across water or something.) So there's probably gonna have to be another unit there anyways to defend the cannon, so I don't see the manned artillery issue to be a problem really, except when moving them. If you can't stack a cannon with a manning unit, if only to move, I'm gonna be peeved.
                                "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Working...
                                X