Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's officially official: NO MULTIPLAYER

From the updated FAQ on civ3.com:

Will there be multiplayer support for Civ III?
    Civ III will not be shipping with multiplayer included. The single-player experience has always been our main focus throughout the development of Civilization III. However, we're working on some cool multiplayer concepts that will take a fresh approach to the challenge of making multiplayer for a turn-based game fun. Once we have more details to report, they'll be posted on this FAQ.

So there you go.

Re: It's officially official: No MP

Originally posted by ixnay37
    From the updated FAQ on civ3.com:

Will there be multiplayer support for Civ III?
    Civ III will not be shipping with multiplayer included. The single-player experience has always been our main focus throughout the development of Civilization III. However, we're working on some cool multiplayer concepts that will take a fresh approach to the challenge of making multiplayer for a turn-based game fun. Once we have more details to report, they'll be posted on this FAQ.

So there you go.
    Nah, Cybershy will still find a way around it. Even after the game is released, he will still desperately try to find the MP *button* for weeks until it is not found.

Even though it may say *no MP* on the box, although my guess is that they just won't mention anything at all, he will claim it's a typo and if you look hard enough, that MP is really in the game.
    Last edited by Pembleton; October 12, 2001, 13:38.

Comment

I expect a free third-party PBEM ``enabler'' will appear soon after the game hits shelves.

Comment

what a way to say it

Comment

i wish they could've answered sooner, but i'm glad they did answer.

thanks for posting it ixnay, as i wouldn't have seen it otherwise (i don't go to civ3.com much anymore)
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

They will probably have MP strings at least (as in Colonization and Original Civilization II)
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Well, what do you expect? Civ1 had no multiplayer, but Civ Multiplayer shipped later. Despite this, Civ2 came out with no multiplayer. Multiplayer didn't arrive until the second to last update. SMAC may have had multiplayer, but SMAC wasn't intended to be a huge enduring legacy, but an "all at once" kind of game (or at least, that's my impression). Now, surprise surprise, Civ3 has no multiplayer. I imagine Civ3 Multiplayer Gold Edition will hit the shelves in a few years.

If you ask me, it's good they focused on simply making Civ great, rather than bowing to the wishes of the multiplayer community.
              To those who understand,
              I extend my hand.
              To the doubtful I demand,
              Take me as I am.

Comment

I have to admit I am more than a little bummed about this news. Although, it is good to know the real story at last.

At least they made sure that the SP was in good shape. God help them if the AI or SP isn't very good. We may forgive the no MP thing, but if they screw up the parts that were being focused on instead of MP, they will be in the deepest of dung.

Comment

Hey, if you wan't someone to organize a protest to have MP included in Civ3, I'm your man .
                  I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
                  LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
                  civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwood

If you ask me, it's good they focused on simply making Civ great, rather than bowing to the wishes of the multiplayer community.
                    Not trying to start another uber thread about SP vs. MP, but I don't understand the logic that says "if a game has MP then SP will suck".

Since when does a game have to for-go MP to have a good SP experience or have an abysmal SP story, etc, if it has MP?

There are games that have both. Granted they are relatively few and far between, but these two items/issues are NOT mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by LoD
                      Hey, if you wan't someone to organize a protest to have MP included in Civ3, I'm your man .
                      You could have all those Poles go to the bug report page over at www.firaxis.com and report no MP in Civ3, but that would just slow the MP progress down as they have to read all reports.

I say let them work alone, and let noone in nor out until MP is ready . Also have Mark to ban all of them from Apolyton

Actually I don't care. I can afford buying more then one game, and I’d play SP from the beginning anyway. (But it would be empty without all that money.)
                      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by jones
                        I expect a free third-party PBEM ``enabler'' will appear soon after the game hits shelves.
                        If you think for something like civhack for Civ2, I hope you are right.
                        Still, since CHEAT-MODE is gone I don't know the way to change techs between human players in that kind of game (in HOTSEAT of course).

Comment

Booooo!!!!!!

Perfidious Firaxis.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Oh well. it will come eventaully.

i'm surprised barely anyone has posted on this thread
                            Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Well, its already been discussed so much, that everyone i( including me) is tired of it. except of course for uberkrux, and his annoying-ass multiplayer posts
                              And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Working...
                              X