Rules:

Standard World size
    difficulty: diety
    random enemy civs
    barbarians at maxium
    All other options on default
    Civ choose is completely free.
    All victory conditions are allowed

Would be also intresting to redo this poll after the release.
    1 day
    8.70%
    1 week
    4.35%
    2 weeks
    4.35%
    1 month
    17.39%
    2 months
    10.87%
    4 months
    8.70%
    6 months
    13.04%
    1 year
    8.70%
    2 years
    2.17%
    I will never win it.
    21.74%

This may be hard to believe but I have only played Civ2 at deity level once and quit after a half the game. It just got too stressful and I wasn't really having fun so unless the game is too easy I'll just stick with Prince, King or Emperor. Yes, I am a wimp.
    "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
    "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

Since even Sid can't beat it on Deity yet, I expect only the very arrogant to vote for anything less than a few months.

I would estimate a year for myself. I could never do it in Civ II, but I definitely think that I will play Civ III more and focus on climbing the ladder.
      "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
      "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

I have no problems beating the AI in civ2.
        it's hard to have a complete victory by destroying all AI players (for sure since I'm not a warmonger) but all other ways are always won by me.

I think it'll take me one month to beat the deity level.
        Pherhaps earlier.

I'm playing civ since civ1 in early 1993

CyberShy
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Yes, I am a veteran too. But only recently I played civ2 on deity, because in the beginning people got unhappy just a little bit too fast. That wasn't fun.

But now I play on deity and winning is not that hard, but to annihilate all players (if you play against 7) is difficult.

I expect it will take me one month to play on deity and win. I will start on Prince I think, since you have an equal chance against AI there (no cheating from AI on Prince level).

But it is unsure if my expectations will come true! So the idea of doing poll again later is a wise one.
          Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
          If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
          "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

yeah, the hard thing on civ2 deity is the start.
            You need to keep your people happy, but if you found some ways to do that it's an easy job. Don't spread too fast, keep your cities near your captital, buy the right wonders, have enough military in your cities, build temples in time and all that.

After all the hard thing of deity makes sure that you have a more ballanced empire, and thus after 0 AD enemies will have a hard job to invade you.

I hope the new AI will be improved on the battlefield.
            Attack you with big armies from two sides etc. Not the once in a time unit that comes over.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I like playing on Deity, it makes the game more interesting, though that does mean I loss some times, but better that then always win. Though my girlfriend wont go above Cheften, but I''m trying to get her to go up a level.
              I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

I don't play at that level, for I cease to find enjoyment in getting so angry that you are nearly inclined to hurl your computer out the window. [Although it is only really MoOII that has ever got me that worked up].

Bkeela.
                Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

well, i play civ games really slow and tediously, except if i have a certain strat like occ or am trying to be perfectionist, so my games take relaly long, and the hardest i ever played was emperor. i worked my way up ( i was 10 when i started, i was terible) it took me a while to get past cheiftan and by the time i got bored i had only advanced to emperor, then i got FW
                  And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

I'll never win on deity (I can't even win Civ2 on deity, unless conquering the world in 3000AD counts as winning) but I don't play to win, I play to have fun
                    In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                    In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

How about, "until some apolytoners post a surefire winning strategy, and I learn to make it work"

It'll take a while for someone to post a strategy I can duplicate, then another while for me to actually get it right.

I read and reread pauls OCC guide several times before trying it, then took 4 tries beofre I actually made it!

at least a year, maybe 2. in the meantime, I'll certainly have fun.
                      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

If its anything like civ2's deity

The first attempt should be an overwhelming success.

If the game has enough differences from civ2, in playability and techniques, and perhaps a harder AI, I'd say 3-4 attempts before a succesful deity game.

As much as I play civ, that would probably be in the 1 -2 month range.
                        I see the world through bloodshot eyes
                        Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

double post
                          Last edited by kolpo; October 11, 2001, 12:05.

Comment

Intresting 50 % answered something between 1-6 months, so it looks like most think it will take some months and 11 % thinks it will take them a year or more to beat it. Because I think most of them have already beaten the civ2 diety A.I. do I think that many have faith in the new A.I. or think the game will have changed a lot.

A small group of 14 % think they can do it in 2 weeks or less and there are even 2 players who think they will beat diety the day they get the game, this measn that they will have to play that day many hours civ3 and from the first try play very good and udnerstand the game quite completely, my hat off for them if they succeed.

There are also 25 % players who either don't play diety or think it will be to hard to win.

I myself am in doubt: if momentium conquest is possible then will it take me 2 max 2 weeks a to do that. I think that Indian momentium elepthant conquest will be the best strategy, for that. So that you aren't slowed down by resources in your fast expansion. But maybe is 100*100 simple to big for that and will some new things like money unkeep for units and culture make it very hard or even impossible.

Comment

To the eternity, and beyond!

I'm just not good enough...
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X