Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official: no Engineers in Civ3!!

Originally posted by Father Beast

By all the evidence, that means no transforming terrain, one of my favorite things to do in civ2 was to make all my land into airbased hills.
    Umm, why wouldn't they be able to terraform, they (supposedly) do all terraforming/land improvements as it is, while settlers simply make cities.

I don't think there should be a problem with having additional abilities added as technology is developed, this is how it was in SMAC and also CtP. This is a good idea.

Workers are engineers are workers, they are the same, only look differently.

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
      i suspect there will be advance allowing workers to terraform...
      Absolutely. If you remember in SMAC, the advanced terraforming functions (raise/lower terrain, thermal borehole, etc) came about as a result of an advance (Ecological Engineering) rather than the ability of some new unit. So these things are probably still in there, but become available with an advance, not just an ability of a new unit.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

But in SMAC, as you progressed, your could make more efficient, faster formers for a smaller cost. The 2 movement points and doubled speed of the engineer is also very important. And I really hope that advanced irrigation will be included, as it was in civ 2. I know some people consider this extra work, but I always enjoyed the transformation and increased population.

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
          i suspect there will be advance allowing workers to terraform...
          and build underwater tunnels, that would be cool.
          CSPA

Comment

It is a pain having to replace your settlers with engineers once you discover engineering. As others have stated it is easy enough to make advancements that decrease the time of building mines/roads etc and enable/disable transformation. We'll see once the game is out I suppose.

Comment

The only thing I'm really going to miss is the two movement points on the engineer, this could be really handy at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Absolutely. If you remember in SMAC, the advanced terraforming functions (raise/lower terrain, thermal borehole, etc) came about as a result of an advance ...
                This is true in Civ2 as well. Fortifications, railroads, farmlands, airbases - all sorts of upgrades were based on the tech level attained, not the unit (settler/engineer). I'm sure the worker units abilities will improve as the game progresses. Perhaps the speed at which workers perform their tasks will improve as well.
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJH
                  The only thing I'm really going to miss is the two movement points on the engineer, this could be really handy at times.
                  I know I am going to miss their little lab coats, clipboards, and hats.

Comment

if there ain't no engineer equivalent worker units in Civ3, guess what I'm going to be doing once I find out how to add custom units....

wherever my tanks want to roll, my engineers build the way....

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority, but I hope terraforming is out, or at least implemented in a very different way in Civ 3. I mean, how are a bunch of engineers going to turn the Himalayas into grasslands?! It's just ridiculous. And you can't turn desert into grassland either -- you can make it productive with irrigation, but it's still desert. So I hope there will be increases in agricultural productivity as knowledge advances, but not so much terraforming, at least until you discover "weather control" or some other future tech.

Comment

Terraforming is in; but how and to what extent I don't know.

And who ever cared about engineers anyhow? They were just glorified Settlers in CivII. Workers are way better.

Comment

Working...
                        X