No caravans - how to rush wonders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No caravans - how to rush wonders?

This has almost certainly been talked about before but I did a search and couldn't find an answer so...

Given that trading is now done through the magic trade screen, and there are no more caravan/freight units (right?), is it going to be possible to store production for later use on a Wonder in some other way?

I always find myself overproducing at times, and I know that by stockpiling caravans that that production is not wasted... also having a few caravans to hand means I can rush-finish a Wonder if I get the 'X is about to finish United Nations', or whatever. Is there going to be a mechanism for this?

I think that can be done by great leaders. I'm not sure about it since details about what great leaders can do has been very scarce. I was wondering more about them myself.
    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Cold hard cash?

Comment

As far as I know: There will be a feature called great leaders (there are threads about these, but some info can be found at www.civ3.com ). These leaders can be sacrificed (in another words : killed ) to rush-build things in cities. These leaders are thus lost.

Related question: Am I right? The main purpose of leaders is to create armies?
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
          As far as I know: There will be a feature called great leaders (there are threads about these, but some info can be found at www.civ3.com ). These leaders can be sacrificed (in another words : killed ) to rush-build things in cities. These leaders are thus lost.

Related question: Am I right? The main purpose of leaders is to create armies?
          I must say the idea of having a great leader rush a wonder comes accross as quite silly. So now suddenly the great general knows how to magically construct a magnificient building, and demands that when it is done he can enjoy an early retirement... or how should one imagine this process?

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Legacy
            I must say the idea of having a great leader rush a wonder comes accross as quite silly....
            Yes, it's weird. I think that this feature is in only, because they (fire-axis) want to make the rush-building things more costly than it was in previous games.

Like in SMAC - you could rush-build Secret Projects (read: wonders) in two ways: by using the supply convoys (like caravans in original civ) and with alien artifacts (could be found in the planet; much like leaders). There was also another use for alien artifacts, but i won't tell about it here, 'cos it's not relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo

Yes, it's weird. I think that this feature is in only, because they (fire-axis) want to make the rush-building things more costly than it was in previous games.

Like in SMAC - you could rush-build Secret Projects (read: wonders) in two ways: by using the supply convoys (like caravans in original civ) and with alien artifacts (could be found in the planet; much like leaders). There was also another use for alien artifacts, but i won't tell about it here, 'cos it's not relevant.
              Yeah a gameplay thingie. The other thing was completing a technological advance. :P

Comment

Great leaders are not only great because their military abilities, most of the leaders that were good at war was because they were good organizers, and they managed their resources in the best possible way. So I think Julius Caesar could have devoted his geniality in organizing the construction of a wonder.

Comment

I thought that you needed great leaders in order to be able to construct certain wonders? Well we will have to wait and see...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Exactly!

For the most part the "ancient leaders" were the people who had the most education or knew how to organize and deploy large groups of people effectively. How do you think Alexander managed his armies across so much terrain, including resupplying and out-fitting them, etc?

Ceasar, Napolean, etc? Most of the truly great leaders of their time WERE the highest educated and thus had the skills to organize all aspects of a large army, empire, etc to get what they wanted done.

If you look at history (and know a little about it) you'll see this isn't tht far off the mark at all.

Comment

Great leaders can be used to build an army, rush a project, and there was something else I can't remember.

So great leaders will be neccessary to rush projects for an OCC game. I wonder if you can stockpile them to build shakespeare, Ribannah, and Paul's on successive turns...
                      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Well that just seems to suggest that they allow you the capacity to rush them, ie, if you have great leaders, you can rush buy the project. But who knows, looks like we will have to wait until the game is available...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The difficulty is that great leaders will (apparently) only arise from elite units who are repeatedly successful in battle. So you won't get any great non-military leaders appearing. This reinforces my suspicion that leader farming is going to become one of the key strategies in Civ 3, either by using an elite unit to defeat anything that emerges from a conveniently located barbarian hut, by keeping once city of a defeated opponent alive to use as a whipping boy or another method.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast
                            ...I wonder if you can stockpile them to build shakespeare, Ribannah, and Paul's on successive turns...
                            Ribannah....? What is that (in addition to that she's a member of Apolyton)?

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast
                              Great leaders can be used to build an army, rush a project, and there was something else I can't remember.

So great leaders will be neccessary to rush projects for an OCC game. I wonder if you can stockpile them to build shakespeare, Ribannah, and Paul's on successive turns...
                              Father, I think Great Leaders can be added to armies to improve their effectiveness in combat.

Comment

Working...
                              X