No announcement yet.

How Do You Play Civ MP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never played CivII MP, but I play a lot of pbem in Alpha Centauri, see here: http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisp...s=&forumid=101

I have tried playing other TBS games hotseat, but unfortunately, I don't have enough immediate friends/family that are interested in such games (panzies! ). And I have played the online MP of Alpha Centauri a little, but it is hard to get enough people to sit still for that long. Oh, and I also played a couple of games of CTP2 online, but that was a BIG mess.

But the SMAC pbem is quite kewl, even though it moves on at a slow pace sometimes. The reason it is good is because there is so much out-of-game diplomacy that can go on that the experience becomes rich.

Civ MP is great!

Comment

Civ MP is a lot of fun. Can't really envision playing Civ alone anymore. Like AH, I'm sure I'll feel lonely in Civ3.

Haven't played in about 1/4 year, but normally play 2x production, 2x movement, 4 or 5 players. Deity. Raging Hordes.

I found that trade and diplomacy were crucial parts of an MP game, whereas they weren't so important in an MP game. Also, some MP players are experts at coordinated attack. I can imagine an AI being OK at coordinated attack, but never approaching expert level.

If you've never had Xin Yu build the Hanging Gardens on you in 2550 BC, then you don't know a challenge.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        I found that trade and diplomacy were crucial parts of an MP game, whereas they weren't so important in an MP game. .
        Eh?

Comment

my more recent games i generally play with 3 other people (4 civs) with no ai. double production, single move. hordes of barbarians (that like picking on me). small map and deity (*** rules )

most of the games i've played are 2-4 humans, no ai, small map, 2x2x, king (typical zone-type rules)

This sounds like you don't play with AI players then? If that's the case, it doesn't sound like the difficulty would really matter with the exception of its effect on happiness, etc.

the difference of the effect on happiness between king and deity is rather pronounced IMHO and drastically affects strategy. it also affects how tough the barbs are.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

does civ2 test of time have a Play my email option??
            I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

Working...
            X