No announcement yet.

Resources: Did you read this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not entirely sure I like this. Yeah- we all like getting new resources. But this is another 'random' element added to the game, and I had hoped that 'random' things would be kept to a minimum.

Also, as it is in SMAC[x]- if the resources can be found, will they also 'disappear' as if being depleted?

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
      Also, as it is in SMAC[x]- if the resources can be found, will they also 'disappear' as if being depleted?
      Yeah. I imagine that this random appearance and disappearance will be very similar to the way it was in SMAC.

Comment

Re: Resource popping and ICS

Since you see everything within your culture border, putting more emphasis on your culture would seem to be better than ICS.

It's going to be interesting to see how we spread our cities. I envision an initial tight group of cities for mutual protection while culture is small, then branching out to claim more land as culture grows. This would enable filling in the gaps later as resources are found outside of city radiuses.

--
        I personally doubt that trying to build historical scenarios in Civ3 will work well: too many distortions in the game.
        E.g., having to manipulate culture values in cities to get the borders right.

Of course, it could be fun trying!

Comment

Oooo! This is fun.

It's good that new resources can be discovered, because some do get depleted.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Resources: Did you read this?

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin

Does that mean that a player can get lucky and discover previously unscene resources within a city radius? That's like goodie hunting within your own empire!
            I think this is an interesting idea which works reasonably well for permanent features like mineral resources. Unfortunately it is a bit chicken-and-egg because normally towns would be founded to take advantage of local mineral sources. Not many get founded, grow into cities and only then discover something really useful in their backyard. To pick an extreme example, there is a lot of prospecting going on in deserts, mountain ranges, jungle and Antarctica at present. No-one is founding cities in these spots in advance of any discoveries.

For mobile special resources that can be nurtured it is really stupid. Take horses. If I wanted to produce Cavalry on another continent I would export a herd of good breeding stock, not found a city near some plains and pray for a miracle. On that basis I would rather that it was a worker activity to search for something specific on the correct terrain, with a chance each turn of finding that (and only that) item. The chance cound vary depending on the abundance of that material already in the vicinity/empire/world. Horses would be relatively easy to locate whearas uranium would be much harder.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Sorry Grumbold, but i disagree with you. Sure, your idea is more realistic, but is it fun? As i see it, it would only add micromanagement to satisfy realism, but not add any fun to the game. sorry
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I completely agree, Grumbold. Another thing that's backwards: you have to have the tech before you can see the resource. You have to know iron working before you can see iron. But really it would be the existence of iron that would be the impetus for developing iron working, not the discovery of iron-working that would cause a civ to see/become aware of/find iron. How can you learn iron working if you can't find any iron?!

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon

"England discovers oil under greater London"
                  Hey ... thats me.. do you think if I start digging, I may increase the value of my real estate?
                  tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
                    Not entirely sure I like this. Yeah- we all like getting new resources. But this is another 'random' element added to the game, and I had hoped that 'random' things would be kept to a minimum.

I dont think there is whole lot of random about it. Seems like when you discover the iron working tech any nearby iron will be immediately visible. Come to think of it, I dont like the sound of that either. Anyway, thats how I understand it.

Comment

And... it's not exactly a random event because you have to actively search for the new resource. If you choose not to devote a worker to that tile, then, that is a choice you make.

It's not like you have no control.
                      Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
                      "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Working...
                      X