CivIII in 32 bit color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivIII in 32 bit color?

Keeping the pace going with yet another question about CivIII, I put forth this:

32bit color? Is this the color depth the game will run in?
    Last edited by Sarxis; October 8, 2001, 06:01.

i think it will run in 16bit, i don't think everyone at home can support 32bit

/edit
    16bit it is
    from civ3.com :

Video: DirectX® 8.0a-compatible video card* (must be able to display
    1024x768x16 bit)
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

says at least. "be able to"
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Running at 32 bit compared to 16 bit is very unnoticible in games(generated graphics), as far as "looks" you will however get slower performance running at 32 bit.

If you have 'photo's' whether they are digital to begin with or scanned in later, 32 bit does make a small difference in quality. At least that is my experience in this matter.

Comment

Yeah, imo 32bit doesn't look better either, just a little different and it's only noticeable in screenshots (maybe I'm blind) however in alot of recent games there's no performance decrease, and some games even recommend to use 32bit for better performance...
          In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
          In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

How can 32 bit provide increased "performance"? It can only increase picture quality, if it is even posible for certain images, which it isn't for all. Most images are still 16 bit or less, running at 32 bit only puts an unneeded strain on your video card and/or cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfree1
              How can 32 bit provide increased "performance"? It can only increase picture quality, if it is even posible for certain images, which it isn't for all. Most images are still 16 bit or less, running at 32 bit only puts an unneeded strain on your video card and/or cpu.
              It's because of the memory architecture that many graphics cards use. In order to keep memory prices down, they tend to go for industry-standard memory chips. These are usually designed for 32-bit access (although some also do 64 or 128 bit access).

Anyhow, the end result is that the memory can actually be accessed more quickly when accessing it in 32-bit blocks.

Comment

Well to be honest- I think soon the '16 bit' age is going to be over. All of the new cards support 32 bit color, and these newer cards don't take much performance hit from running it.

But for CIV, 16 bit is satisfactory.

Comment

bigfree 1 is right. Even when comparing the 16/32 bit color with memory devourers like Sacrifice, Startopia, Black&White, UT , I found almost no difference - and that's 3D realm. So 16 bit will do just fine for CivIII.
                  The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Working...
                  X