Fears for Civ3.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fears for Civ3.....

When I recently read that Firaxis is cutting a scripting language too, my worst fears for this game are starting to haunt me. Will we actually get a game that has a solid scenario editing capability, or will we get rules.txt repacaged and missing a couple dozen components? Will we have a game with great replayability, a lack of bugs, and everything we thuoght shuold be in? Or will we get SMAX with new graphics, sans SE? Discuss.
    *grumbles about work*

Just trust firaxis.

They've added so many great new features, so why worry about the few things they didn't include?

Comment

My greatest fear about Civ3, the nightmare that wakes me screaming from my sleep at night, is that it won't finally stop people opening another complaints thread.

No, I can't take anymore... That is it... From now on I'm boycotting all these whine threads unless they are blessed by Saint Dan himself.

David
      "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

they didn't "cut" a scripting language, there never WAS one. There will be comprehensive editors, as evidenced by many posts by Dan here and on 'Ask the Civ Team.' If there one thing that you really shouldn't worry about, its the editors.
        And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
          they didn't "cut" a scripting language, there never WAS one. There will be comprehensive editors, as evidenced by many posts by Dan here and on 'Ask the Civ Team.' If there one thing that you really shouldn't worry about, its the editors.
          Hear, hear. Shadow, you should read the many posts and news items regarding the editor. It should be one of the many strenghts of Civ3.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstrike
            When I recently read that Firaxis is cutting a scripting language too, my worst fears for this game are starting to haunt me.
            Scripting language is not for everyone. Its better that they make scenario-building more accessible for the masses with help of faster and more userfriendly editor-screens. If I have understand it correctly, they also gonna replace that old Rules.txt file with a multi-tabbed interface editor-screen, but Im not sure. One should however also be able to setup all kinds of trigger-events, of course.

Comment

Re: Fears for Civ3.....

Originally posted by Shadowstrike
              When I recently read that Firaxis is cutting a scripting language too, my worst fears for this game are starting to haunt me. Will we actually get a game that has a solid scenario editing capability, or will we get rules.txt repacaged and missing a couple dozen components? Will we have a game with great replayability, a lack of bugs, and everything we thuoght shuold be in? Or will we get SMAX with new graphics, sans SE? Discuss.
              I'm really getting tired with whining posts like this. "They cut the scripting language!", what the hell? There wasn't coming any scripting language in the first place. Could you just wait till the game is released and try it and THEN whine if there's something to whine about. This is getting really ridicilous.

*Tries to calm down...*

Comment

Please stop !

I fully agree with Wexu and other poeple who are tired of all the negativity about civ3!

Please give Firaxis a chance before anyone of us even played the game!

Sure it will not be perfect, but what is?
                I'm sure patches will follow to better the game after it's released, and I hope they will not make the same mistake as Activision did with CTP2 if they want a faithfull public for their games in the future. ( but I'm quite sure they won't make this mistake!)
                Live long and prosper !

Comment

So correct me if I'm wrong, but they have (supposedly) improved the editor so that it will be many tiem better then Civ2, yet slash an event language, the centerstone of scenario building? That's lke trying to build a house without a foundation!

And I believe all of you who say mearly "trust in Firaxis" are mearly parroting someone else's words. Considering the focus they put in scenario editing,I sincerely hope that an event language is included. I don't care if they package the ToT one, just that without it, scenario creation will probably never take off at all.

I have always been one of the folks in here who have taken a positive outlook on Civ3. We're mearly giving output on what our perception of the product will be. Without this sort of creative critism, how the heck will Firaxis know what the masses want?

BTW, there was an event language in FW, MPG and ToT. You cannot say that there was no scripting language in the first place and it wasn't cut. If it isn't it, it has been cut since the last version of Civ2!

Finally, for those of you who say that a event language isn't for everyone, why should you cripple those who truely want to make scenarios because other people can't understand it? By that same reasoning, we shouldn't be on computers, or have anything to dowith electricity, or even civiliation for that matter.
                  *grumbles about work*

Comment

OK, I understood what you meant with "scripting language" little wrong. I thought you meant this AI "language" (which there has been some talk here), with it people could do better AI to the game that can beat players' new best tactics.

But you were talking about some sort of scenario event language. Right? I didn't know there was that kind of thing in ToT, FW and MPG, because I haven't owned any of those. So, I must admit it is a bit stupid to leave it out of Civ3 then.

BUT then again, I haven't played any Civ's any scenario (I've tried couple, though), because I don't like them. My opinion is that Civs aren't meant for scenario playing. They are much more fun when played "normally". I know there are people who disagree with me.

And whining at this part of Civ3's development (game is going gold soon, at least I hope so) is rather pointless, they won't add any new (bigger) things to the game, they are now just polishing it up. So everyone, let's just wait and play it when it comes and then bomb Firaxis with whine-letters if there's need for that. OK?

Comment

well hopefully firaxis has something like the event trigger from StarCraft, something that is both easy to use and powerful

Comment

I'm frightened

My fear is that the grumblers will find much to complain about with Civ 3 and Firaxis (or some other company) will not only listen to this group but incorporate every single design idea they put forth for Civ 4, which they will rush to develop and get to the store shelves to calm the savage beasts.

Due to incorporating the ideas of the zealots, Civ 4 will cost $150, require an as yet not made computer processor and 10GB of hard drive space, along with 200 megs or RAM just to install. When the zealots are able to play the game, they will then end up complaining that it is too difficult to play, unrealistic, sterile and boring. They will rage that the AI is too sophisticated and does not account for human error, thus they cannot beat it. They will sound like Kasparov upon losing to Deep Blue. They then begin filling the Apolyton Civ 4 boards up with complaints and demand that one of the team, who posts there now and then out of kindness, listen to their complaints and incorporate their ideas into Civ 5. Notice the circle forming to completion?
                        Your ad here!

Comment

The only time that will happen is when we start sneding regular pizza shipments to Hunt Valley. And I think we're broke.

But knowing Firaxis, they won't put too much in, rather prefering to err on too little then too much. Caution has been the keyword for them in each sequel, with only a few major new improvements. The fear here is not too much, but rather too little.
                          *grumbles about work*

Comment

Originally posted by Akron
                            Just trust firaxis.
                            For some reason whenever someone says that I do the opposite. It is like children saying trust mama she will give you whats best. Well I have been screwed by gaming companies and other groups long enough to know not to just trust a company. I think Sid and Firaxis are one of the best groups of designers around and Civ III probably will be good but just to have this blind trust is absolutely ridiculous.
                            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

>just to have this blind trust is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree. I had blind trust for Lionhead for Black and White, which ended up being a very mediocre game after all the promises.

However I have confidence that civ 3 will be a lot better than B&W simply because theyre basically just improving on civ 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X