What does Religion do in CIV3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Religion do in CIV3?

In practical terms, how does religion "matter" in CIV3? Does anyone know how it works?
    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

I think they skipped religion. Culture is the closest feature I know about.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Really? So religion does nothing except add to culture?

Do you think Firaxis completely overlooked it?

Comment

Well, you can still research Polytheism and Monotheism and you can build Temples, Cathedrals, etc. but we don't think there will be anything more on religion than there was in Civ II.
        "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
        "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

As far as I know you can't set any religion of your civ, and your citizens don't develop a religion, the only thing I know that is religion-related is the improvements (that boost culture and make people happy)
          Last edited by Gramphos; October 7, 2001, 13:41.

Comment

Religion is also in the game as a civ-specific ability such as commercial and militaristic.

Comment

I thought that CIVs would have a certain religion and that it could cause tensions if you were of a different religion. Did I read that somewhere, or am I just dreaming in Technicolor?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
                I thought that CIVs would have a certain religion and that it could cause tensions if you were of a different religion. Did I read that somewhere, or am I just dreaming in Technicolor?
                I believe that was a suggestion, but it couldn't be implemented with real religions as many of them deny other religions and would get angry on Firaxis and crashed an airplane in their office.
                And no more Civ

And I guess it would take to long to develop a religion system that grew within your cities and just allow you to set what city's religion to use or if you would allow any religion.

Comment

What's that you smoked?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
                    Actually, this is the function of culture. If there are citizens of a different culture in one of your cities, then those citizens either have decreased or zero productivity. You can perform minor ethnic cleansing by building settlers and workers, though.

It was a good choice by firaxis to put religion under culture rather than as a separate thing.

Comment

It was a good choice by firaxis to put religion under culture rather than as a separate thing.
                      Maybe you're right, but it would be nice if wars would be ignited because of religion. Nothing could be more realistic.

Picture some religious CIV demanding that you switch over to their religion or face the rath of God and their army. I'd love that kind of realism.

Comment

If you want to see a development team that's experimenting with the idea of adding religeon to a 4x game (thus making it a 5x game, they say), go check out Master of Orion 3! The game looks very experemental, but if they manage to balance it (and they did a crappy job of that in MOO2... creativity anyone?), it should be good.
                        To those who understand,
                        I extend my hand.
                        To the doubtful I demand,
                        Take me as I am.

Comment

Religious civilisations don't have periods of anarchy between goverments and Firaxis recommend them for diplomacy minded players. (source: CIV-SPECIFIC ABILITIES By Dan Magaha).

David
                          "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Why would religion be good for diplomacy? Did you hear of any reason why?

Comment

I believe that it is good for Diplomacy as it helps you build a strong culture which will help you get better deals.

Comment

Working...
                              X