Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building wonders

Does anyone know:

1) Will we get updates on other civs starting to build wonders? nearly completing them?

2) I know that we cannot speed up the building of wonders, except with a great leader. But can we disband other units in the city where a wonder is being built, thereby gaining some shields towards the building?

3) Can we switch from building one wonder to another, without losing any shields?

1) I'm pretty sure that this will be an editable option, though it may also be based on difficulty level. But if only great leaders can rush a wonder, then the message may not be as crucial as before, as there won't be any way to rush it unless you just happened to have a great leader in that city at the time.

2) We'll just have to wait and see. This is, of course a very inefficient method that can only work if you are very close to completion already.

3) Good question... In civ 2 it was possible to plan for building a wonder by starting an older wonder well ahead of time and then switching to the new wonder when you get the necessary technology. Maybe something has been done to change this.

Comment

Originally posted by Akron

2) We'll just have to wait and see. This is, of course a very inefficient method that can only work if you are very close to completion already.
      It may be inefficient but it works. Back in CivII I built all my wonders this way using caravans or scouts in massive numbers. So I hope it isn't in... way too easy.

David.
      "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

in civ2 multiplayer, it never told you when humans started/almost done with a wonder.

but then again civ3 doesnteven have multiplayer.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

In the dutch PC Zone of October it says:

Culturele adviseurs vertellen wanneer een andere beschaving weer een nieuw wereldwonder gaat bouwen
          "Cultural advisors tell when another civilization is going to build again a new world wonder."

Comment

Re: Building wonders

Originally posted by old dog
            3) Can we switch from building one wonder to another, without losing any shields?
            Not sure, but I seem to rembember having heard that you cannot do this anymore.

Comment

These sound like encouraging answers.

I think it's realistic to hear that another civ is starting work on something major. But the rest of these tactics feel abusive and, more importantly, remove a lot of the tension from the game.

Comment

So I'll have to learn to play without bogarting ALL the wonders?!

I guess I'll have to 're-take' them by force then...

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Legacy
                  I guess I'll have to 're-take' them by force then...
                  sounds like it hehe

Comment

IMO, you should get updates on civs with whom you have contact. I hated playing the Zulus on a world map and miraculously find out that the Sioux have nearly completed Colossus. How realistic is that?
                    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

i hated it when they would suddenly "buy" the wonder at the higher levels...that allways got me

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo
                        i hated it when they would suddenly "buy" the wonder at the higher levels...that allways got me
                        That never really got me...I would always buy it before the computer did.
                        "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo
                          The computer didn't buy, they cheated their way through production. They only need a quarter or so of the shields to build a wonder.
                          Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

I really hope the Civ III AI doesn't need to cheat to be difficult to beat. (Hey that rhymed)

Comment

That never got me because I saved/loaded cheated for the important wonders. Since the AI can cheat on the higher difficulty levels then surely that gives me a right to cheat sometimes?

So I assume there is no longer a unit like the caravan that you can build stacks of and then build a wonder in one turn?

Comment

Working...
                              X