Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shade
    Mister Pleasant:
    hmm some homemade Latin,let's see what I can make of it.
    (it has been a while,so the first two,i don't know there seems to be missing something,could be a translation glitch but probably my memory)the last part:Your mother is the best.Believe me(using an inversion :Waaw)- I know(and you really want to point it's YOU who knows it).
    Not bad at all! No, nothing homemade (a little rusty on proper style for these things, but I think an ancient Roman (later periods)would have understood me). I had a professor who knew latin, including some of the more "colorful" words.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
      I had a professor who knew latin, including some of the more "colorful" words.
      Excuse me for being a little OT.

From The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson, p. 215:
      "...[C]ertain things have not changed in 1,500 years, most notably a preoccupation with the size of the male member, for which the Romans provided many names, among them tool, dagger, sickle, tiller, stake, sword, and (a little oddly perhaps) worm. Even more oddly, the two most common Roman slang words for the penis were both feminine, while the most common word for the female genitalia was masculine."

"Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
      "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut

We Germans put all sorts of weird nuances in our language just to confuse you foreigners!
        What I can't get over is that, after 3 years of discussions, you decided that it makes sense to have words with 3 consecutive n's in them, and yet couldn't decide how yacht and yak (or jacht and jak) ahould be spelt.
        The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
        "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
          But people! This is probably the most famous Latin quote! Every Civer should know it!
          I believe that veni, vidi, vici is more famous.
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Not bad at all! No, nothing homemade (a little rusty on proper style for these things, but I think an ancient Roman (later periods)would have understood me). I had a professor who knew latin, including some of the more "colorful" words.
            hmm,I had 6 years Latin so the translating part still goes quite well(and most colorfull words are skipped , but you always learn some)I have a fainth idea of the futue and ludificor but not certain enough to do a decent translation(most probably the verbtenses are wrong,not like ther is much choice:12 active and 12 passive tenses,and some other junk)

btw homemade=you translate from your own language to latin???(noo??)

Jellydonut:what about these :Fear is masculin in latin and vengeance feminin(and in most voc-lists they are put right next to oneanother=>could this be the work of some dangerous feminists who are trying to tell something???)

Umbra sub Sole sum.
            Shade
            Last edited by shade; October 6, 2001, 19:37.
            ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
            shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Chowlett
              What I can't get over is that, after 3 years of discussions, you decided that it makes sense to have words with 3 consecutive n's in them, and yet couldn't decide how yacht and yak (or jacht and jak) ahould be spelt.
              I don't see what's wrong with three 'n's. For arguments sake, say you had a nougat made out of Finns, and you wanted to call it Finn Nougat, but as one word. You would call it Finnnougat, and not Finnougat, because people would think Finnougat is made out of fins, not Finns. Okay, bad example, but it was the best I could come up with.

And I like Jacht and Jak. 'Y' is most certainly a vowel and not a consonant
              "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Comment

hmm,I had 6 years Latin so the translating part still goes quite well(and most colorfull words are skipped , but you always learn some)I have a fainth idea of the futue and ludificor but not certain enough to do a decent translation(most probably the verbtenses are wrong,not like ther is much choice:12 active and 12 passive tenses,and some other junk)

btw homemade=you translate from your own language to latin???(noo??)
                Hmm, by that definition most medieval and renassance Latin is homemade. (Had to learn a lot of medieval Latin because of an interest in medieval philosophy as an undergrad - too bad I no longer care.) You could tell who was French, Irish, English, German, etc. by looking at grammatical structure.

ludificor, ludificari = (one of those odd passive only verbs in 1st person present passive singular, 1st conjugation) ludi=game or joke, fic (from facere) = to make. To make a joke or light of.

futueo, futuere =very, exceedingly vulgar way of saying "to have sex (with a woman usually)". Close to the English f-word (but more potent). I think a corruption of the Latin verb survives in French. As for futueor, think "mater futueor".

Fello, fellare = if you can't get this one, think fellatio . . .

Ovis = sheep

I could be wrong about these being classical though. These verbs might be medieval forms. In whihc case, my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
                  futueo, futuere =very, exceedingly vulgar way of saying "to have sex (with a woman usually)". Close to the English f-word (but more potent). I think a corruption of the Latin verb survives in French. As for futueor, think "mater futueor".
                  From what I've read, this word is one of the possible etymologies for the English word "f*ck", alongside French "foutre" (which is the corruption you mentioned) and German "ficken". To me, at least, the last seems the most plausible.

Comment

I personally don't care. There are lots of great quotes in English which I'd rather worry about such as:
                    1) he shoots he scooooores --> Foster Hewitt CBC hockey play announcer.
                    2) How's it goin eh? --> Bob and Doug Mackenzie (Canadian Icons)
                    3) If you don't give us the secrets of "The Cannon" we will destroy you!! --> insert Russians, Mongols, Zulus from Civ2
                    "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
                    "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase

I've never even heard of the first one (though likely I will kick myself when hearing the translation...), and the second one was made up by Shakespeare. Naw, the most famous latin quotes would have to be Descartes' "Cogito ergo sum" and Caesar's "Veni, Vidi, Vici". And, as any reader of the Asterix series of comics will tell you, Alea iacta est, which can be used in a million humorous situations mocking the romans.

E pluribus unum - out of many, one. The motto of the United States, found on American currency
                      . Thats why youve never heard of it.

Not to be confused with Novo ordo seclorum, a new order in the world, on the Great Seal of the United States.

Dei Benedicte America!!!!!!!!!(pardon my grammar)

LOTM

LOTM
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

shade:

you are right. I always confound Scipio and Cato (maybe because their names, in Portuguese, sound similarly - Cipião and Catão). In fact, Cato was the opposite of the Scipio family:

He was noted for his conservative and anti-Hellenic policies, in opposition to the phil-Hellenic ideals of the Scipio family.
                        -Encyclopaedia Britannica

On the other hand,

His embassy to Carthage (probably 153) convinced him that the revived prosperity of Rome's old enemy constituted a new threat. Cato constantly repeated his admonition “Carthage must be destroyed” (“Delenda est Carthago”), and he lived to see war declared on Carthage in 149.
                        -Encyclopaedia Britannica

Of course I'd rather stand with you, after all 6 years Latin constitute an act of courage nowadays.

I hope no-one's ego got crushed along the way(if so,I'm truly sorry)
                        Nah, you forced me to revive my knowledge about the subject, so I have to thank you, in fact.
                        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

after all 6 years Latin constitute an act of courage nowadays
                          I don't know,seems not that strange to me,but hey most ppl think I'm nuts studying Physics at university so...
                          (we started with 40 in the first year and ended with 16 in the 6th year(and there were 50 students in the 6th year))

Ok we're really getting OT now.better stop this thread here.
                          thx for all responses(I got back in touch with humanity )

Shade
                          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Comment

"I am a Jelly Doughnut"

Learn something new everyday..

But I thought the most popular Latin quote was "quid pro quo Clarice..."

Comment

"Quid pro quo ..."is a legal thing.The exact translation is horrible,but a free one is :'nothing for free'don't know why you ask Clarice.(this is an example of medieval latin)

I think it's of the same fame as 'Veni,vidi,vici'.

Maybe some recognize this cfr. or e.g. or i.e. or q.e.d. all are latin and used very much in many languages.
                              (the last one you'll mostly find in math-constructs.)

Shade

Comment

In swedish they're all translated. However, there are many latin words or phrases if not exactly quotes that survive in most languages, e.g. Deus ex Machina.
                                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Working...
                                X