X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fella me, ovium fututors!

Anyone care to translate that?

Comment

Ok, so we agree there is a number of Latin quotes that are known. Can we now please move on
      The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
      - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase

I've never even heard of the first one (though likely I will kick myself when hearing the translation...)
        E pluribus unum - From many - one.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Martinus -

Matrem futue.
          Te non ludificor. Mater tua optimus est. Credo mihi - ego scio.

Just kidding

Comment

Another famous one: "Delenda Carthago est", or "Delenda est Carthago" (it makes no difference). Scipio, the African, always used that expression on his speeches against Carthago. By the way, it means "May Carthago be destroyed" or "Carthago must be destroyed" (depending on the subtlety of interpretation )
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

To answer the original question: here's another potential trivia question. Can you see what's wrong with it?

Who uttered this famous quote: "Comment voulez-vous gouverner un pays où il existe 258 variétés de fromage?"

- Churchill
              - Stalin
              - De Gaulle
              - Mussolini
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I've never even heard of the first one (though likely I will kick myself when hearing the translation...),
                its on US dollar bills

Naw, the most famous latin quotes would have to be Descartes' "Cogito ergo sum"
                ahhh! yes. very famous indead!

(thank God my Descartes book is in english, and i didn't have to translate that book from latin like i did many other books ... *sigh* 3years and 3semester of latin sucked.)

Comment

To answer the original question: here's another potential trivia question. Can you see what's wrong with it?

Who uttered this famous quote: "Comment voulez-vous gouverner un pays où il existe 258 variétés de fromage?"

- Churchill
                  - Stalin
                  - De Gaulle
                  - Mussolini
                  Sure you have a point, if language really spoil the trivia.

But, ehi, it's a trivia you can cheat as you want. I play it seldom, and never check before for the right answer, where the world and his dog admit to search encyclopedia or Internet to get any answer correct

OTOH, Who declared in 1963: "Ich bin ein Berliner"?

- John F. Kennedy
                  - Charles De Gaulle
                  - Albert Einstein
                  - Sid Meier

I mean, sometime the original quote doesn't do any bad to the question, does it?
                  "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                    Another famous one: "Delenda Carthago est", or "Delenda est Carthago" (it makes no difference). Scipio, the African, always used that expression on his speeches against Carthago. By the way, it means "May Carthago be destroyed" or "Carthago must be destroyed" (depending on the subtlety of interpretation )
                    My scholastic memories are more on the line of Catone (probably translated as "Cato the censor" in english) asking for "Cartago delenda est" in Roman Senate.

BTW, I'm italian, but I never studied latin, if not some quotes in history lessons.
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

- John F. Kennedy
                      - Charles De Gaulle
                      - Albert Einstein
                      - Sid Meier
                      Translation: "I am a jelly doughnut". Seriously.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

"I'm a Berliner" is the translation of wanted spoke AFAIK and many site mentioned it.

The explanation of KrazyHorse joke can be read here.
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Hello ppl I read some real BS here,geez,let's start venting out the pseudo:
                          "Et tu, Brute?"
                          this one should be 'Tu quoque fili mi' (You also my son.(Caesar had Brutus adopted so he could be his successor))said by Caesar when he got stabbed by Brutus,BUT CAESAR WILL RATHER HAVE SAID THAT IN GREEK THAN IN LATIN ,but it is known in Latin.

next:
                          Originally posted by Alexnm
                          Another famous one: "Delenda Carthago est", or "Delenda est Carthago" (it makes no difference).By the way, it means "May Carthago be destroyed"
                          euh NOOooo what you say means:Carthage IS destroyed
                          this comes from CATO CENSOR(censor is some political job for those who don't know).He always ended his speech at the senate withCETERI CENSEO,CARTHAGINEM ESSE DELENDAM :"and furthermore it is my opinion that Carthage should be destroyed."(what the Romans did at the end of the second Punic war.)

Originally posted by MarkG
                          1)Who cares about Latin
                          2) hmmm cause then the answer would be too obvious?
                          1)I do.
                          2)sorry don't know anymore what the other answers were,so what they can easily give multiple Roman leaders everyone should know:
                          1)Caesar
                          2)Augustus
                          3)Nero
                          4)Octavianus (=3 )
                          5)Claudius

ADG:hmm here in Belgium history lessons cover quite a bit,it was only in my 6th year(age 17-18) we got WWI and WWII and modern day history.(but we only had it 2 hours a week )

Dainbramaged:
                          im in first year Latin and i dont know what it means...
                          this probably means still 5 to go,but you'll have a better chance seeing it in history.(to easy to translate)

Vini vidi vici(written by Caesar to show how little difficulty he had had to conquer some part of Gaul):seeing this one I just think of something.If you really want to kill someone who studied Latin use this quote but pronounce it with the v's(instead of w).

Mister Pleasant:
                          Matrem futue.Te non ludificor. Mater tua optimus est. Credo mihi - ego scio.
                          hmm some homemade Latin,let's see what I can make of it.
                          (it has been a while,so the first two,i don't know there seems to be missing something,could be a translation glitch but probably my memory)the last part:Your mother is the best.Believe me(using an inversion :Waaw)- I know(and you really want to point it's YOU who knows it).

Next one on stage is Decartes(French philosopher):Cogito ergo sum
                          =I think therefor I am.(maybe this looks familiar)

-John F. Kennedy: this came back in the media last weeks when the German prime minister(just a guess) said something like 'I am a NY'er' to show his sympathy for WTC.
                          (btw could have been A.Einstein:he was German)

I hope no-one's ego got crushed along the way(if so,I'm truly sorry)
                          Vene,me in Tartare sequi.
                          Shade
                          ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                          shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Are you saying there's something comical about JellyDonuts? BTW, that urban legend ( http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar.../aa021700a.htm ) is where I got my name...
                            "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                            "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Awww...I really wanted that to be true.

Plus the 3 months of German that I took led me to believe that the statement minus the "ein" was the only proper way. We didn't get much time to discuss metaphorical phrases.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Awww...I really wanted that to be true.

Plus the 3 months of German that I took led me to believe that the statement minus the "ein" was the only proper way. We didn't get much time to discuss metaphorical phrases.
                                We Germans put all sorts of weird nuances in our language just to confuse you foreigners!
                                "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                                "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Working...
                                X