Collaborative Scenario-Making Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdd2007
    as i have no skills in scenario making i would like to test scenarios. i could a pretty good advisor...
    Play testing would be essential. And it's actually very desirable that the testers not be the makers. Because it's kinda hard to be objective when it's your thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Hoek
      Oh wow! Hexagonian, that's really quite good! Can I put you down for documentation too?
      Yeah, since there's a distinct possibility that I won't be getting the game until Christmas. I want to play the game for awhile before testing the Mod waters (and I usually play slowly too)

And having never done any Mod work for civ2 puts me at a disadvantage, since I'm not familiar with the coding either (but everyone is more or less in that boat), so my work would have to be along the lines of support.

The nice thing is that I have this and a unit spec chart already set up in a template format, so anyone who has taken the time to data-entry the info can send me a file and I can enter it in.

Pay no attention to Immortal Wombat - he's just jealous of my skills (but I am of his too)
      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Play testing would be essential. And it's actually very desirable that the testers not be the makers. Because it's kinda hard to be objective when it's your thing....
        does this mean i CAN be a playtester?

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian

Pay no attention to Immortal Wombat - he's just jealous of my skills (but I am of his too)
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

i prefer AIM

AIM!? EVIL!

Please get ICQ.... It's much better, and I'm never going to get AIM, ever.
            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007

does this mean i CAN be a playtester?
              I don't see why not. Hoek?

Comment

This looks pretty cool. I am planning to do an ambitious ancient era modpack (worked on it quite a bit with civ2). Basically, the idea is to narrow the scope from the entirety of human history to the period ranging from the beginning of what we know about humans (which will pass in a theoretical flash much as the ancient era does in regular civ) up until the early decline of Rome (say, 300 AD or so).

Already I've done considerable research into the state of the "sciences" among ancient peoples. For example, I've broken "mathamatics" into a number of mathamatical notation types: the ... talley system? Gee, it's been a long time. I'll have to scrounge up my notes. But it was quite good, really!

I also studied the role of the horse in ancient warfare. Interesting stuff, but once again, all locked up in my notes from several years ago.

Hmm... doesn't look like I have much, does it. At any rate, it's something I plan to do, and I can't do graphics worth diddly squat. So if I come up with a tech tree complete with civilopedia entries (I do hope the civilopedia can be messed with in modpacks) and military units, I hope I can find some people to do the visual end of it.

I can be reached at tarvok.1@email.com.
                To those who understand,
                I extend my hand.
                To the doubtful I demand,
                Take me as I am.

Comment

put me up for historical research too.
                  Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I see no reason why you can't be a playtester. Know, though, that it is a real responsibility, and playtesters will be expected to actually provide the rest of the team with real, indepth critiques. We are trying to attract as many people as possible to join us, but people who sign up should know that they will be counted on. If someone signs up for playtesting, but never bothers to give a critique, that will kind of mess the process up. I have had experiences where I gave out scenarios for playtesting without ever receiving responses. I don't know exactly how to deal with that at this moment, but I'm working out how I'm going to set up some of the rules.

Right now, I am going to see if I can set up a website through AOL or my college so that we just have some of the basics down. I am hoping to get Apolyton hosting, though, at some point because that would give a number of advantages such as forum access, visibility, and unlimited, free space for files.
                    "The only dangerous amount of alcohol is none"-Homer Simpson

Comment

thanks. i understand my responsibilities...
                      u should make a long list of people for different jobs, and once the game comes out u should narrow it down...
                      btw, i would love to do some historical research too...

Comment

bump
                        "The only dangerous amount of alcohol is none"-Homer Simpson

Comment

I have very little experience with creating senarios, although many years ago I created a few good D&D games.

I would to get involved with play testing and then expand into the other areas as I became familiar with the various aspects of developement

Comment

I run sound systems and do sound editing as a hobby, so I would be willing to work on any new sounds for scenarios and modpacks.
                            Dr. Jones

Finagle's Law - The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.

Comment

Great! Then could you take me off sounds, Hoek, and just make me pure music? My recording facilities are rather, er, primitive at the moment.
                              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

*bump*
                                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X