New Screenshot of the week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anunikoba
    D*mnit!! WTF has the 'Theory of Evolution' ever done for advancing the human race? What great piece of technology has been developed by this knowledge? What disease has been cured by its application?

The only thing it has EVER produced is debate. It has no practical use WHATSOEVER.

Err.. It's fundamentally altered the Human Race's opinion of itself..

Prior to Darwin people considered themselves to be Unique chosen people of God. Afterwards we realised we're just a product of evolution like all the other animals - nothing special.

In producing evidence that made it's basic truth undeniable, it also enshrined science above religion. Reducing religions power over government has led to all the wonderful technological advances that we have today..

I think that's fairly "wonder"ful..

Comment

I still don't get all these mines. Top right of the screen is Grand River, size 14, yet there is no irrigation, how? Why is all this grassland mined? What are the baseline resources of grasslands and plains and what benefit does mining grasland give?

Well, although the worker unit doesn't change in name from the ancient worker, they do appear upgraded as they're now wearing lumberjack clothing. I'd like to see bulldozers and backhoes for modern workers, but I guess for a single unit, that's asking too much for a small icon.

What's with the web of railroads also? Do railroads give a trade or mineral bonus? Why surround a city with them then?

Well, enough griping. The graphics look crisp and organic. I hope combined with animations and sound it looks even better. The interface looks pretty good too as it is pretty minimal, yet appears functional.

Oh yeah, purple has abut ~40 cities, I've had SMAC empires that large as the Drones and Univ. without problem. I never played with a low efficiency faction though.

Comment

Theory of Evolution is a renamed Darwin's voyage. No one complained about Darwin in Civ2, so why complain now?

Can you guys take the evolution debate to the OT forum?

Comment

Regarding Anunikoba's remarks:

D*mnit!! WTF has the 'Theory of Evolution' ever done for advancing the human race?
          Wow... are you kidding me ref?

It did the following:

1) Althered people's perception of the universe (as gremalkin pointed out);
          2) Made people rethink many religious theories, particularly Genesis;
          3) In practical terms, we wouldn't have bio-genetic science without it;
          4) I think it brought about more ethnic tolerance as people came to realize that we all races derived from the same species, and that genetically, we are very very similar;

I'm sure there are many, many more changes that it made. It terms of importance, it can be better described as "monumental".

Regarding the screenshot:

At first, I wasn't really impressed with it, but as I gave it a better study, I really like how realistic the modern highways look. Very nice attention to detail there.

I also noticed that the roads hide behind mountains. Again... very nice attention to detail.

It's nice to see that you can create huge empires. Who ever captured that screenshot had quite an impressive civilization going.
          Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
          "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

In what way is questioning as to whether the Theory of Evolution should be included as a wonder in civ3 off-topic?

Comment

Oh... and btw,

I'm wondering if the Firaxian that created that empire is about to invade his neighbour, who is coloured blue... He seems to have captured a large portion of that continent, and strategically, he seems to be on a good defensive standing... good enough maybe to be in a position to launch a massive assault?
              Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
              "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                I still don't get all these mines. Top right of the screen is Grand River, size 14, yet there is no irrigation, how? Why is all this grassland mined? What are the baseline resources of grasslands and plains and what benefit does mining grasland give?
                I'm too wondering all those mines on grassland.. Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                  Not to interrupt your debate, but I must say that I am still disappointed that the roads and railroads are just painted on top of forests. How hard would it be to add some imaging to have the roads look like they cut into the forests? They change the mountain roads, now forest roads need to be fixed.
                  I totally agree. That was also my first reaction, it looks so fake to have those things painted right on top of the trees.

Now that I think about it, what did Civ2 do?

I also really hope that they are fulfilling their promise in making 4 (or 5?) different sets for each region of the world for industrial age and modern age. I don't want to see the city graphic homogenization we saw in Civ2.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo

Oh yes, a counter question: WTF has religion ever done for advancing the human race?
                    Does Western Civilization ring a bell

I agree Theory of evolution has done alot in terms of speculation and debate. But honestly, it has had no effect on the way modern society develops. Nor has it benefitted society..atleast not directly anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Barshy

I totally agree. That was also my first reaction, it looks so fake to have those things painted right on top of the trees.

Now that I think about it, what did Civ2 do?

I also really hope that they are fulfilling their promise in making 4 (or 5?) different sets for each region of the world for industrial age and modern age. I don't want to see the city graphic homogenization we saw in Civ2.
                      It doesn't look as bad as in Civ 2, but it doesn't look that good either. Roads should go through the forests, not on top. It seems like a little thing, but it always bugged me in Civ 2.

Completely agree about the different city sets in the modern ages. I hated it when the distinctions got wiped out in Civ 2. It's not even realistic. New York looks different from Shanghai, which looks different from Mexico City, same today as ever. Break free from homogenization!

Comment

Sorry but you cant burden the SW bye making specific graphics for each civ. You dont want this game to take up 2GB of space do you

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV

I think some (or all) of the mines are the outposts or whatever that harvest special resources, ie-iron,gold, etc.. Just a guess though.

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                            Sorry but you cant burden the SW bye making specific graphics for each civ. You dont want this game to take up 2GB of space do you
                            Not for each civ, though that does have some appeal. I meant for each civ style (Far Eastern, Classical, etc.). And I think you really overestimate the amount of space this would take up.

Comment

That swampy irrigation look still bugs me.

Comment

Originally posted by HalfLotus
                                I think some (or all) of the mines are the outposts or whatever that harvest special resources, ie-iron,gold, etc.. Just a guess though.
                                But their mining grassland. What are you going to do mine buffalo and wheat? Most mineral resources would only be found in hilly or mountainous terrains, not grasslands and plains. Besides that it can be shown on the map with special resources being shown on top of the mines, so there can't be special resources unless we can see them

There has to be another reason, maybe irrigation is super-powerful and fewer tiles are needed to supply enough food for a large city. Or mining of grasslands and plains gives a trade and mineral bonus while not hurting food production too badly.

What I think is needed for an answer to this is the resource breakdown of tiles and what bonus improvements give to them (like the Civ2 fold out terrain chart). Such a chart I doubt we'll see before release though

Comment

Working...
                                X