Sid and Mao - what's up with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid and Mao - what's up with that?

What's the deal with Mao's smilimg mug on every other image at the Civ3 site? Including a knowing nod and grin from Mao in the E3 video when 'enlightened' civilizations are mentioned.

Mao was a tyranical mass murderer, plain and simple.
    "...Democracy is the worst system there is, except all the other ones"

Winston Churchill

I think there's more to the story than that, but I won't argue about Mao. I think Firaxis puts him on there because he's well known. I wouldn't read into it too much.

Comment

He's a well known face from the previous civs, and it is this that means he is placed prominently. Same with Abraham Lincoln...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

**** Mao, he is the most hateful dirtbag in the entire universe.
        Put Dr. Sun Yat Sen as leader of China instead.
        ==========================
        www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Dida
          **** Mao, he is the most hateful dirtbag in the entire universe.
          Put Dr. Sun Yat Sen as leader of China instead.
          Enlightening post. I don't see why Mao can't be a leader. Just because he wasn't the nicest person ever doesn't mean he didn't influence the world.

Comment

There have already been posts like this before.

But here we go. They don't choose leaders based on who was "good". They pick the leaders that are the most famous and most well known.

When you think of Rome, you think of Caesar.

When you think of the Babylonians, you think of Hammurabi.

When you think of Greece, you think of greasy men jumping over... I mean Alexander.

And for China, Mao.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
              There have already been posts like this before.

But here we go. They don't choose leaders based on who was "good". They pick the leaders that are the most famous and most well known.

When you think of Rome, you think of Caesar.

When you think of the Babylonians, you think of Hammurabi.

When you think of Greece, you think of greasy men jumping over... I mean Alexander.

And for China, Mao.
              Right. Some can be argued, but Mao is one of the most well known in my mind. I remember at least 1 other thread a while ago trying to 'overthrow' Mao. We don't need another.

Comment

greasy men jumping over?

i guess im not up opn my greek ethnic slurs.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Well said Lorizael!

Personally, I'm sick and tired of the politically-correct culture that the we've developed in the Western world. It's like we try to ignore that history hasn't always been a rosy.

I couldn't name one other Chinese leader. They should keep Mao, because I can guarantee that many of the other leaders that they've included have killed innocent people too.

To be a leader is to forget that you had a moral code.
                  Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
                  "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

And Chiang Kai-Shek (spelling error?) just isn't as majestic a name. You can't put it into poetry easily...

Just live with it. For better or for worse, the guy's famous.
                    Lime roots and treachery!
                    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Agreed Lorizael

I agree, this is a stupid discussion to get into anyway, but if you want to get into it about Mao, just remember, Mao Zedong may have been a mass murderer, from a certain point of view, and yes, the red guard under his orders destroyed thousands of Chinese cultural relics, but lets face it, the Chinese today are a lot better off than they have been in a long time. They have political stability, and more freedom than Americans give them credit for (I've been to China). Mao, for better or worse, gave China what it needed--modernization, and stability, so that European powers or Japan can no longer take advantage of China, as they all were up to 1945.

Comment

You all agree with me?????

Something is terribly... terribly wrong...
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

More of Mao...

And Mao was certainly an idealist! Someone who believed in the THEORY of "communism". It is my belief that that is what the "Cultural Revolution" was all about -- he was trying to promote that next stage of communism: the 'revolution of the proletariat.'
                          In this manner, of course, he definitely was not a humanist, though he might well have been intentionally sacrificing life (AND CULTURE) in the short term hoping for enhancing it in the long term.

Life was 'cheap' in China at that time;
                          Mao was somewhat ("snicker") isolated from his people during the latter part of his reign (further 'cheapening' his perspective of the individual).

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                            When I think of Greece, I think more of Pericles than Alexander. But thats because I don't really feel that miltaristic dominance over a short period of time is sign of greatness. But Alexander is probably more well-known by the public.

Chosen leaders really do not affect gameplay that much, so it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Akron

When I think of Greece, I think more of Pericles than Alexander. But thats because I don't really feel that miltaristic dominance over a short period of time is sign of greatness. But Alexander is probably more well-known by the public.

Chosen leaders really do not affect gameplay that much, so it really doesn't matter.
                              Another good point

Comment

Working...
                              X