Getting the drivers ready for Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the drivers ready for Civ3

We all saw that Civ3 will require DirectX 8.0. So you say to yourself, fine, I'll install it from the game (if you don't already have it). Well, graphics-related drivers are notorious for causing problems and installing DX8 won't be that simple. For example, I'm finally taking the plunge into DirectX 8.0a in preparation for Civ3. From experience, it is not that simple since there are other components that should be upgraded before you do that. Specifically, since I have an AMD chip, I'll be upgrading the MiniPort driver, installing the 4-in-1 drivers based on my VIA chipset, upgrading the nVidia driver to 12.41 and then DX8.0a. This will substantially improve performance throughout the whole system, thus minimizing any system-level bottlenecks.

The most important thing to remember (and I predict will be the cause of many problems that will be reported here as folks try to get Civ3 to run) is to make sure that your graphics-card driver is DX8.0 compatible. I'm doing this all ahead of time to make sure everything will work right at the system level and with other applications/games.

Well I don't see that there should be a problem. Providing your video drivers are up to date and compatible with DX8, you will be fine. You don't need to do anything with the motherboard stuff, and the soundcard drivers are straightforward; DX8 will have some included if it is a standard piece of equipment. This already has DX8 so I can't envisage a problem...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

My computer came with Directx8 installed, so I haven't done too much with it, but I did install it on my old P200. It installed very quickly and without a single problem. I don't see why so many people are complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th
        My computer came with Directx8 installed, so I haven't done too much with it, but I did install it on my old P200. It installed very quickly and without a single problem. I don't see why so many people are complaining.
        Oh, I installed it on a P2-266 and it went seriously tits up. It took me a lot of effort to fix (reinstalling Windows, basically)
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Oh, I installed it on a P2-266 and it went seriously tits up. It took me a lot of effort to fix (reinstalling Windows, basically)
          Interesting. I wonder what the difference was? What OS were you using on the 266?

I was using a slightly tweaked version of win98.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Boy that sucks!!!

I just had to reinstall my system after my cdrom drivers broke!!!
            "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
            "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

i dont know what my drivers are or anything like that, and i dont know what hardware i have (i was not knowledgable about computer hardware when i bought it) does anyone know any good programs that find and download drivers automatically?
              And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

It depends on what brand. I know that Gateway has a utility that checks the drivers on your system and then recommends what needs to be updated. I would think Dell, HP, IBM, [cough]Compaq[/cough], AlienWare, etc. would have something similar. Otherwise, it would require going through each of the components in the Device Manager one at a time.

Comment

if you don't know what hardware you have in your 'puter, open it up, have a look, and start scribbling things down

Comment

I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't have Dx8 already. How long has it been out now?

Well, ok, I could imagine some CIVers not having it- since, afterall, these diehards are still probably only playing Civ2.

Comment

AAAHHHH!!!!

What are you guys trying to do!?!?? Scare me off from buying a PC?

I was going to go to Best Buy and purchase an HP7935 with a 17" monitor (new, comes with Windows XP). Just as a game machine for playing Civ3, though I might buy Call to Power 2 just to see what it was like (I've got Civ:CtP on my Mac).

Comment

Re: AAAHHHH!!!!

Originally posted by Jaybe

I was going to go to Best Buy and purchase an HP7935 with a 17" monitor (new, comes with Windows XP). Just as a game machine for playing Civ3, though I might buy Call to Power 2 just to see what it was like (I've got Civ:CtP on my Mac).
                        Join the PC Clan!!!
                        "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
                        "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

Though I definately recommend PC versus MAC, I HIGHLY suggest Dell over Hewlit Quackard.

[Though actually, I TRUELY recommend building your own PC]

Comment

Re: AAAHHHH!!!!

Originally posted by Jaybe

Ahhh, run away, run away!!!

Do NOT buy a HP!!! If you care about ever being able to upgrade your PC at all or EVER fix problems with it yourself.

HP (IMHO) is in the same boat as Compaq when it comes to the lowest quality crap you can buy for your hard earned money.

Your best bet would be to do one of the following things:

1) Research and build your own PC.
                            Pros: You know exactly what is going on with your system so can likely fix anything that goes wrong, generally cheaper than buying a complete system from someone.
                            Cons: Have to figure out how to actually build the PC, have to fit sometimes barely compatible pieces together and make them work, sometimes getting up to date drivers is a nightmare (files hard to find, or are to large to fit on a floppy, etc).

2) Research and buy a PC from a reputable dealer, example, Dell, Alien, a local PC store that has a good history.
                            Pros: Can get a complete, custom system like you want without having to piece it all together and make sure it works like it should, if anything breaks you have a very good warrantee so someone else will come to your house (in case of Dell and some local shops, not sure about Alien) and fix it for free. Can buy "package systems" that include monitors and speakers.
                            Cons: Systems typically more (sometimes a LOT more) expensive.

3) Have a friend who knows about PC's build you one.
                            Pros: Do not have to know about how to build PC's, can get a custom system. Cheaper than buying from a PC store (generally).
                            Cons: May have problems if the PC breaks, your friend may not be available or become irritable and charge you more if you break the system a lot.

There you have it, the three main ways I know to get a new PC (legally ). I can do 1 but chose to do 2 (modified by me when the system came from Dell ) because I didn't feel like building another PC since I deal with them all day at work. If you don't know much about PC's then I would suggest option 2 because if you choose the right company you can get a good deal on a PC and not have to worry about fixing the system (1,2 or 3 year next day on site warranty available from Dell).

Whatever you do, for the love of whatever deity you worship, do NOT buy a HP or Compaq system. These companies are the Yugo manufacturer's of the PC world!!

Comment

Don't buy a Dell ever!!! Nor a Compaq, from my experience I have found HP to be the most reliable (and easily upgradable) of the "super power" brands. Gateway, Compaq and Dell should all feature a sticker which reads "Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here".
                              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X