What the Hell (excuse the language)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Hell (excuse the language)

Ok, the poll about whether to have Civ3 as a "Windowed" game like Civ2 was overwhelmingly in the favor of having Civ3 as a "Windowed" game. I'm sure that must have been one of the requests on the list. People around here in threads have expressed their feelings on the subject. Presumably many ask the civ team questions have been directed towards this subject. All of these factors have indicated to Firaxis that the public wants a "windowed" game, yet Firaxis claims that the game will not be in "windowed" mode (stated in threads previously). They also claim that the alt+tab works wonderfully. Ah who cares if that works great? I don't want to have to open up all my applications before entering a game, so I can use alt+tab! I also don't want to hear any excuses of why it's not in "windowed" mode because there are none that are viable. For Firaxis not making Civ3 a "windowed" game all I have to say is what the hell!
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

I too would have much preferred windowed mode, or AT LEAST an option. I know some other games have this sort of option. I just hope that it really is as alt-tab friendly as they say it is.

Comment

Personally, im glad they didnt make Civ 3 a windowed game. I would rather be immeresed in the game than to put the game inside a window and have micro$hit intrude on my Civ 3 experience!! As long as i can still use the services of windowz (thru alt-tab) thats all i really care about in this regard.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

As long as the game CAN be run full screen, I don't care if it can be windowed or not. I never use windowed mode, as tasking out of a program is sufficient for me.

Comment

Personally, I don't care that the game is full screen. If I want to use another program, I can switch out of the game and do whatever I feel like doing. The most likely reason for Firaxis's decision, believe it or not, is not because they hate you. It takes much more in the way of resources to display graphics in a window, as people want. You may not like their decision, but you should try to live with it without complaining. There is nothing you can do.

Comment

It's not that all the non-windowed opinions are irrelevant in this thread, it's that they don't help Techwins feel any better. A substantial portion of the community would appreciate the option to have it windowed, and it looks like they won't get it. They didn't ask for a certainty, just an option.

That does suck, Techwins.
            Last edited by Bisonbison; October 4, 2001, 00:09.
            I'm typing this from my bathtub. It helps support my girth.

Comment

I always find it pretty funny when people here at Apolyton get upset when a feature they like is not included in Civ3. I'm sure that the people here at Apolyton are a minority of the total number of people who enjoy Civilization. Firaxis probably gets lots of mail from other people who have their own preferences about this feature and that feature. What's more, Firaxis can't please everyone so they have to decide themselves what should or should not be in the game. Some of their decisions are probably based on fan input, some on the preferences of the Firaxis staff, and some are probably influenced by practicality (cost or average computer specs, for example) Of course, we should put in our two cents worth and try to influence the decision makers but it strikes me as childish when people start cursing or raising a fuss when they are not pleased by a Firaxis decision. It reminds me of Christmas when children make a big list of wants and then throw a tantrum Christmas morning because they didn't get everything they asked for.

Let the flaming begin.
              Formerly known as Masuro.
              The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Glad my opinions are irrelevant.

And Anatolia- I see, and agree with what you are saying. Mostly about "I'm sure that the people here at Apolyton are a minority of the total number of people who enjoy Civilization". This is the truth.

Comment

windowed games = no directX
                  no directX = crappy graphics
                  if the game was windows w/ crappy graphics, then everyone would complain about crappy graphics.
                  talk about a no win situation!

Comment

It takes much more in the way of resources to display graphics in a window
                    Obviously you didn't read this part "I also don't want to hear any excuses of why it's not in "windowed" mode because there are none that are viable". Firaxis should be able to provide the option of going into "windowed" mode to make most of their Civ community happy. I believe the poll to have "windowed" mode or full screen was in favor of windowed (ah screw the quotations) mode; the final results were something like 95% - 5%. So really there is not a true excuse for Firaxis to not make Civ3 a windowed game or at least have the option to make it a windowed game. Having windowed mode is especially useful in MP, whenever that may be. Alt+Tab is just not enough; you would understand this if you would have read this "I don't want to have to open up all my applications before entering a game, so I can use alt+tab". Who knows what applications you are going to want to open while playing the game. Most of the time in SP it won't be many but you never know. Now this is just me but whenever I listen to MP3s when playing a full screen game they always seem to be glitchy. Once in a while the song might stop or start to sound fuzzy. Why take a chance of these annoyances occurring with full screen when you could be stress free with windowed mode? At least give the people who want to free movement a windowed mode option and those who like to have restrictions a full screen option.

You may not like their decision, but you should try to live with it without complaining
                    Don't take my complaining or arrogance the wrong way. I'm most diffinitely going to buy Civ3 regardless of anything. Even more so now that I've paid $10 towards the game through the pre-order (few weeks back).
                    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I always find it pretty funny when people here at Apolyton get upset when a feature they like is not included in Civ3
                      I'm not really that upset over it as I make it out to be. It's just surprising that Firaxsi didn't at least include it as an option.

I should note that I'm not one who gets upset very often when I hear Firaxis didn't include this and that.

Comment

Civ2 was windowed, right? And what the heck does alt+tab do?
                        Ex Fide Vive
                        Try my new mod and tell me what you think. I will be revising it per suggestions. Nine Governments Mod

Comment

Yes, Civ2 was windowed, which is one of the reasons why Civ2 was so great.

Alt+Tab switches you through your applications you have open. Lets say you have Civ3 web page and Apolyton web page open. You are viewing Civ3 and you then press Alt+Tab you will be taken to the Apolyton page. Alt+Tab is very useful in full screen, in fact it is a must. Although, having windowed mode is much more efficient IMO.

Comment

NO Windoze!

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                            Personally, im glad they didnt make Civ 3 a windowed game. I would rather be immeresed in the game than to put the game inside a window and have micro$hit intrude on my Civ 3 experience!! As long as i can still use the services of windowz (thru alt-tab) thats all i really care about in this regard.
                            Since I am probably going to soon have my first Wintel computer, with Windows XP at that, and since I have heard so much as to how XP tries to immerse you in connecting to Microsoft services* (which I will have NO interest in), I too will be glad to have Civ3 taking up the whole screen.
                            Having the whole screen dedicated to the game will allow more of the map to be visible, though I will miss the availability of the menus at the top of the screen that I am accustomed to with a Mac (as with Civ2).

*The Mossberg Report

Comment

So Firaxis should listen to popular will about some feature and impliment it even if it'll make the game worse (in this case, graphically)?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X