Dutch PC Zone Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch PC Zone Preview

The Dutch PC Zone has a very good preview of civ 3. With interviews with Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs. The interviewer went to the Firaxis studios and watched Jeff Briggs play for a while.

I don't know how much info is in there which isn't known already in this forum. One of the things new to me was that workers can be captured an turned into slaves and also that after the discovery of nationalism you can optimise your economy into either a peacetime-, war-, or global economy, where eg a peacetime economy wouldn't allow you to build "war" units.

Anyway, those of you who can will have to read it yourself. I think the article was well worth the money.
    Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Re: Dutch PC Zone Preview

Originally posted by Mannamagnus
    after the discovery of nationalism you can optimise your economy into either a peacetime-, war-, or global economy,
    This is potentially interesting
    To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Do we know everything about this game already
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Any screenshots ?

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
          Do we know everything about this game already
          Yes. I am afraid that playing the game is going to be like watching a movie after reading the book.

Comment

Then don't read about it...let it come to you like a total surprise...

Comment

I'll be going home from work in about half an hour. See if I can buy a copy on the trainstation (Den Haag CS).
              WOW.

Comment

I think this should be a news item. Could anybody scan it for us or at least give us a rough outline?
                "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Ya!... any other news about the different types of economies?

No military units during peacetime? How would you be able to build units for defence?

There must be more to it than that!
                  Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
                  "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

It was confirmed by a Firaxian in some thread (I forget which one exactly) that Nationalism wasn't a government and that it's purpose was to allow one to mobilize the economy for war, peace, or normal. A war economy halves the cost of military units & buildings and doubles everything else. A peacetime economy does just the opposite. A normal economy keeps everything as it is.
                    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

The more I hear about this piece of software, the more I feel like playing it. It seems Firaxis has done a lot of work on this

Comment

I've read the article in the train backhome lastnight. Quite a few things of which I hadn't heard before. Unfortunately I didn't have time to work things out. But I can say really interesting. Not the least to hear Sid Meier say that he's from dutch ancestry and that still half his family is dutch. And yes Meier is a frequent appearing name in the Netherlands (and also in northern-Germany) it can mean both mower or miller.

Comment

bs! Meier means overseer....

Comment

A meier is a sheriff (schout), bailiff (baljuw) or steward (rentmeester).
                            Now we only have to find the meaning of sid (buddha figure?).
                            A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                            Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

You both must have looked in the "van Dale" (leading Dutch dictionary). Like I just have done. And yes it also (!!) can mean those things. Semantically in that meaning of the word, it derives from major (domus).
                              But from there the word over the centuries got a few other meanings too. You only have to listen to folksongs to find that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X