No announcement yet.

Nooo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might want to keep your torso, too. There are lots of vital organs in there to keep your brain, eyes, ears and hand working.
    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13

buy a cheep pc monitor (ive seen them for as little as $15 at university stores) secondhand and hook it up... should be no problem
      I think that you need a docking station also, don't you? I use one to hook up a mouse, keyboard, moniter, palm hookup, USB hook up between two computers, and a printer!!!
      "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
      "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

jellydonut: well, you have 3 weeks. hopefully that is enough time
        but you can always goto e-bay and get some cheap ones, and if you hurry have it with time to spare before civ is released
        i just got 2 cd-roms each 32x ... $8 each after s&h

Comment

Roman: i think the external monitor is good idea, esp. since your resoultion is often limited by teh laptop's monitor size rather than its video card capability. all you need is a monitor port...then plug and go!

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut
            Might want to keep your torso, too. There are lots of vital organs in there to keep your brain, eyes, ears and hand working.
            No interested to your sexual attributes, Lorizael?

They are quite useful and can be a good replacement for a Civ game, if you don't have your PC on.

Back to topic, having a notebook is always a source of trouble: if a part is broken it's difficult/expensive to replace it, not to mention the nightmare, often impossible, upgrade option

OTOH, we can play Civ almost anywhere, so thats a great point added to "availability" in its largest meaning
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo
              Roman: i think the external monitor is good idea, esp. since your resoultion is often limited by teh laptop's monitor size rather than its video card capability. all you need is a monitor port...then plug and go!
              True, I think my driver might be able to do more than 800x600, so if I do find a monitor for $15, then . Thanks for the advice.
              Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Roman
                I have a worse problem myself. My notebook monitor can only display a resolution of 800x600.

800 X 600 will work

I have a desktop PC. Games always recommend 1200x600 or somthing that my moniter wont do. But in the end, 800 x 600 always works. Only problem its a bit off center . about a cm of the screen is dark and has to be slid over.

Comment

Murphy's Law in full swing. It usually is.
                  To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

Yes, thank you, my ears too.

"Your ears you keep!"

"To the pain!"

"To the pain?"

"I don't think I'm familiar with that one."

I love that movie!!!!
                    is it Oct 30 yet?

Comment

Re: Nooo!

Originally posted by JellyDonut
                      My CD-ROM drive is broken...I have to send my computer to the manufacturer to get it fixed. And if I don't, I can't play Civ III! Why me?
                      CD-ROM drivers are one of those components that
                      are very different from drive to drive.

For instance I know two Wearnes CD-ROM drivers
                      that are of the same model, but the other one doesn't
                      read discs properly. Not to mention some Creative's drives.

So my advice is that stay to manufactures whose drives
                      you have tested or someone has recommended.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Re: Re: Nooo!

Originally posted by Rasbelin

CD-ROM drivers are one of those components that
                        are very different from drive to drive.

For instance I know two Wearnes CD-ROM drivers
                        that are of the same model, but the other one doesn't
                        read discs properly. Not to mention some Creative's drives.
                        that is only with crappy cd-rom manufacturers (yes, that includes creative...they should stick with audio boards only). stick with sony, panisonic, etc. they do not very from model to model (most dont, actually).

Comment

Fine fine I'll keep my body! But I'd sell... other people for the game! Oh no wait that's slavery.

Let's just say I'd be willing to pay a lot more than the price they're offering to get this game.

Originally posted by rkr

"To the pain?"

"I don't think I'm familiar with that one."

I love that movie!!!!
                          Instead of saying, "To the death!"
                          Wesley says, "To the pain!"

Everyone should love that movie
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Ah Princess Bride. I haven't seen that film for years.

"No your ears you shall keep, so that you may hear every man, woman and child say, dear god what is that thing!".

"Hello may name is Enigo Mantoya(?), you killed my father prepare to die".

Thx for the reminding me of it.
                            "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
                            "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

Comment

That movie has the best swordfight scene prior to "Crouching Tiger"

And of course, the Battle of Wits

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Nooo!

Originally posted by Nemo

that is only with crappy cd-rom manufacturers (yes, that includes creative...they should stick with audio boards only). stick with sony, panisonic, etc. they do not very from model to model (most dont, actually).
                                This is more off topic, but I'll write.

The problem doesn't only occur with low-end
                                manufacturers, but with all of them.
                                Like diskette drives, CD-ROM drives are not designed
                                to be everlasting; nope.

Many CD-ROM drives tend to work a few months or so,
                                before they suddenly start to malfunction when reading
                                discs. Most of those drives are made by low-end
                                manufacturers, but also the "better" ones produce
                                lots of those non-working drives.
                                And the price doesn't always reveal the bad ones.

My recommendations are Liteon, Toshiba and Pioneer.
                                "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                                X