No announcement yet.

Will Civ3 Have A Scripting Language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, they keep mentioning an editor and editing tools all over the place. It will be more than just modifying the rules.txt file, there will be many other elements that can edited. Don't know the mechanics yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo
      Thanks for the update Dan

thats what i USED to think...untill i played CTP
      Yeah, thanks for letting me know Dan

*puts Civ3 money back into wallet for immediate spending*

huh? Think how much CtP sucked without SLIC.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

What I'm thinking is that the editor will essentially be the equivalant of cheat mode, map editor, and game files access (rules, graphics, etc.), rolled into one package.

It looks like to me that, just as civ1 came single player, civ multiplayer came out, then civ2 didn't have multiplayer, in civ3, first the single player will come out, and later things like scripting scenario language, multiplayer, etc. will be added.

Sounds good to me.
        To those who understand,
        I extend my hand.
        To the doubtful I demand,
        Take me as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
          huh? Think how much CtP sucked without SLIC.
          exactly!

you said:
          No game needs a scripting language,
          I said:
          that's what i USED to think...until i played CTP

translated:
          CTP is the only game that needed a script editor becuase it sucked so bad out of the box.

regarding civ 3:
          i dont think this will be the case by any means.

Comment

Dan, thanks a ton for posting that. For a long time I was in doubt if/when to buy Civ3 but now I know for certain that I won't buy it.

I mean, I'm sure it will be a nice game to play the first few times but after that I'll have seen so many things I'd like to change (I have this with all games these days, no matter how good they are - and with the knowledge I currently have, Civ3 doesn't even look all that good) which simply aren't changable it will frustrate the hell out of me and I'll have to give up playing anyway. I'm a hardcore modder: If I can't change a game, it ain't any good!

Yeah sure, you can probably mod this game just as easily and extensively as Civ2 or even better but it won't be leaps better without a decent scripting language or anything resembling it. I'm sure adding new units or civs will be easier than ever but without a scripting language, would it FE be possible to add a CtP-like PW system to Civ3? With CtP's SLIC it's possible to bring back the old Settler/Worker/Engineer system (noone ever did it but as experienced SLICer I think it's quite possible) but I now have serious doubts about doing the reverse in Civ3... Civ2's customizability was a total joke compared to CtP's (considering the time it was made it was in it was very good, but we live in a different time now), I can't imagine Civ3 will be that much better.
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Could someone ask the civ team (or whomever) whether the editor includes the ability to control events, like in Civ2?

Again, I don't think we have to worry (at least those of us that loves playing scenarios more than the main game) because they will includes scenarios in the release and have said that we can create scenarios. How do you think we are able to do that?

Comment

Maybe this was a misunderstanding, but it definitely sounded like 'No Event Editor'. Because how would You want to do that without any kind of scripting/macros?
                Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

If Civ 3 is released as a "perfect" game then the lack of a detailed scripting language will be irrelevant because all anyone will need are scenario triggers. Unfortunately it means that the product will never be able to exceed the original expectations of the programming team. 3rd parties will be unable to release unofficial mods to close any AI loopholes, adjust game rules that prove disappointing or design some truly individual scenarios which play significantly differently.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

Steve,
                    For those people who do plan to buy the game I hope it's not true but perhaps the only way to make scenarios is in the ala the Civ2 Rome and WW2 scenarios: new maps, units, wonders, civs, etc but no events or anything of the like? They'll probably have some kind of event system though, ala Rules.txt, but it can't be much more sophisticated than that...

Grumbold,
                    No game is ever perfect, not even if it's extremely well balanced and totally bug-free. There's always improvements to make, new features to add (introducing CtP's PW system could be one example, natural disasters and other random events another (IIRC those aren't in yet) and there are hundreds of other things that one could think of). Granted, such things aren't not necessary for a fun game, but neither are scenarios and yet Civ2 had hundreds of those...

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                      If Civ 3 is released as a "perfect" game then the lack of a detailed scripting language will be irrelevant because all anyone will need are scenario triggers
                      But how do You know there are scenario triggers? I would be half-way satisfied to know there is at least a similar system like in FW/TOT in place . But this hasn´t been positively affirmed as yet.
                      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                        Dan, thanks a ton for posting that. For a long time I was in doubt if/when to buy Civ3 but now I know for certain that I won't buy it.

I think this is a disrespectful remark. If you've decided to not buy the game- and I have a hunch that most non-believers will- then peace be with you. Start your own comany up and make a game that you like to play. I'll probably buy it too.

I gotsta give a huge thumbs up to Firaxis for taking a few archer arrows like the above while they mobilize their tanks for the assault.

Kudos anyway for voicing an oppinion so strongly. I know Firaxis listens and perhaps has a script language alternative in the works.

I myself am happy without one 'cause random maps are fine for me.
                        "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Originally posted by cassembler
                          I think this is a disrespectful remark.
                          I don't see how that is disrespectful, I'm just telling the truth. I'm only expression my (honest) gratefulness to Dan for finally solving my dilemma. I'm not being sarcastic or anything (I apologize if it appeared that way), it has been troubling my mind for months...

And yes, if I'd have the time I would certainly develop my own civ game. Once I'm done with CtP2, I might actually do just that (or just join one of the already existing Alt Civ projects)...

Comment

Hey sometimes the truth hurts, but it's still the truth. Sorry if it was taken as a sarcastic remark.
                            That being said, are you really not gonna buy Civ3 just because it has no scripting language, or are there other reasons?

BTW I already have a few days off right after Oct 31...
                            "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Oh wait, you're new around here (or at least not a regular visitor)? I posted a whole bunch of reasons for disliking Civ3 numerous times in the past. One Firaxian once describes Civ3 as a 'conservative sequel' and that's exactly what it is and what I'm NOT waiting for. I want to see some real changes...

Comment

The only thing that sucks about not having a scripting language...

Is that I can't make mods to post on the internet!!!
                                "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
                                "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

Working...
                                X