• Show
Clear All

Certainly sounds interesting.
    Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Roman
      Certainly sounds interesting.
      It is very interesting!!!

I plan on making mods for Civ3, so when are you going to open the Civ3 mods section!!!!!!!!!!!
      "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
      "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

I hope that I dont find a need for sriptinglanguage in CIV III. I didnt need one in Civ, I or II, bt I did need one for CTP (crappy @$$ game).

As long as i can edit the not using enemy road/rails to just not using enemy rails via .txt files i'll be happy.

but for all you mod makers...i hope there is a language for you. you guys come up with some pretty cool stuff (i just wish i had the time to do so too...but i am too busy playing civ )

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo
          I hope that I dont find a need for sriptinglanguage in CIV III. I didnt need one in Civ, I or II, bt I did need one for CTP (crappy @$$ game).
          No game needs a scripting language, but every game would benefit from one.
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I'm not sure where this rumor came from, but Civ III will not be shipping with any form of scripting language or macro support.

Dan
            Firaxis Games, Inc.
            Dan Magaha
            Firaxis Games, Inc.
            --------------------------

Comment

INFO INFO

How well can you trig events in the editors?
              I hope that they are good enough to not need a scripting language. If the editors are good enough and the game is robust enough no scripting is needed, and scripting would just make it hard for the game to handle all possible things that may result in bugs.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

It seems that what was provided in Civ2 with the events.txt file was good enough for some of the more clever scenario designers to create wonderfully, complex scenarios (like Red Front, Second Front, Sacrificial Blood, etc.).

Comment

Thanks for the update Dan

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

No game needs a scripting language, but every game would benefit from one.
                  thats what i USED to think...untill i played CTP

Comment

I don't think the recent comments on this thread understand Dan's comment. The way I understand it, there will be no way to do events in Civ3, period. At least when the game ships. This is a big blow to scenario makers like myself.

Dan, is there any way to make events in Civ3? If not, when can we expect the game to have this feature added, if ever?

Comment

Thanks for the answer, Dan, even though it's not the one I wanted to hear. In almost two years of posting to the CTP forums, I NEVER got an answer from anyone connected with Activision. Here's the first time I ask a question about Civ3, and Firaxis responds straightaway. That's nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                        I'm not sure where this rumor came from, but Civ III will not be shipping with any form of scripting language or macro support.

Dan
                        Firaxis Games, Inc.
                        NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY MODS
                        "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
                        "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan
                          The way I understand it, there will be no way to do events in Civ3, period. At least when the game ships. This is a big blow to scenario makers like myself.
                          That´s also how I read this. I hope we are both wrong.

And, please, Apolyton, give Nemo his custom Avatar back.
                          I can´t stand his misery for much longer.
                          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

It has got to be semantics. Using the Civ2 model for making scenarios (why folks keep bringing up CtP is beyond me, CtP has no relation to Civ, but I digress), you have to have an event-type file to do any kind of scenarios. The events.txt file, even for the simplist scenarios from FW, includes what happens when you take over a city or controlling the placement of all AI units. There will be the ability to do that in some form.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                              And, please, Apolyton, give Nemo his custom Avatar back.
                              I can´t stand his misery for much longer.
                              woo hoo! a supporter! thanks
                              ...now if only Mark G. would respond to the e-mail i sent him the other week

--

Without the event function there were quite a few great scenerios still put out for Civ II though. Its a shame that they don't have it, but it sounds like the editor is going to be grand (maybe make up for the lack of event functions/seperate scripting)

Comment

>> Mister Pleasant mutates into a complete jack@$$<<

Don't worry, an events handler system will eventually be available for Civ3 (just as Civ2 had civ scenarios). This add on will be sold just before the multiplayer addition for civ3 goes on sale, and will no doubt include a few scenarios. So cheer up mod makers.

>>Mister Pleasant mutates to levels of jack@$$ery beyond what present theory can account for<<

What, Firaxis can't even match the technological innovation of a crappy Activision product?! What is the world coming to . . .
                                Last edited by Guest; October 3, 2001, 17:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X