No announcement yet.

"Compensations" to warmongers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think planning ahead strategically is bad. Everyone starts out with 1 (or 2) settlers, and builds from the ground up. If the game started out in say, the modern age, then you couldn't have a pre-determined strategy.

Earlier Civ games were vastly unrealistic in the snowball effect of conquering the world. Although this idea is not terribly unrealistic, it needs work. The culture and nationality ideas should make it more difficult to conquer the world. Which, I believe, is too easy. No single nation has conquered the world for that reason.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassin
      I don't think planning ahead strategically is bad. Everyone starts out with 1 (or 2) settlers, and builds from the ground up. If the game started out in say, the modern age, then you couldn't have a pre-determined strategy.
      I don't get your point.

The best strategies are based on the circumstances. Circumstances aren't known before you start the game.
      Also a scripted strategy is less enjoyable. It's like folks who plan out their build order before they start....whrere's the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by HalfLotus

I don't get your point.

The best strategies are based on the circumstances. Circumstances aren't known before you start the game.
        Also a scripted strategy is less enjoyable. It's like folks who plan out their build order before they start....whrere's the fun in that?
        That is the point. Some people don't play for fun, they only play to win.

THis being the case they'll use the same old tired strategies, formulated to abuse inconsistencies in the game, to "win" every time.

These are also the people who complain the game is boring and dull at it's highest difficulty when they use these "broken" aspects of the game to win constantly.

Comment

i'm not saying warmongering should be easy, i just think that if you pride your civ in conqueroring others you should recieve cultural points for doing so.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I like the stance Firaxis is taking on this:

"While we've certainly expanded the importance of diplomacy, culture, and trade, warmongering is still a viable approach to playing and winning the game -- it's just not as easy to win by the might of your sword alone. You will probably need to use diplomacy and trade to complement your military strategies unless you get very lucky with your starting location. So no matter which victory condition you set your sights on, you should still need to utilize a variety of skills, including using diplomacy, trade, and your military.
            " (http://www.civ3.com/asktheteam_092801.cfm)

If that's not your cup of tea, maybe you should be playing a wargame (try Sid Meier's Civil War games - they're a lot of fun...)
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Personally, I like the sound of the new culture concept A LOT, and I am also happy that war will be more difficult than in Civ2 (eventhough I like Civ-wars a "tad" more than real-life wars ). I just hope I'll like it as much when I have actually tried the game myself , but I have confidence in that Firaxis can do a good job.

Peace!
              -- Roland

Comment

And slightly off topic: Congratulations to KrazyHorse for reaching King status! I've found myself agreeing to most things you write, so keep on posting!

Peace!
                -- Roland

Comment

Originally posted by HalfLotus
                  Every 20-30 mins. of playing Civ2 I'll sit back and assess my cities, terrain, enemies, etc., and adjust my strategies accordingly.
                  Free your strategic mind!

But please review Civ III and understand that very possibly, this is a thing that we will once again not see the AI do.

Instead the strategy will be chosen in advance, depending on the unique traits of the civilization and will be played out the same across the game.

At least each Civ has 2 traits out of many unlike Civ 2 (militaristic - yes/ no, expantionist - yes /no) or the 7 traits hardcoded into SMAC.

Comment

I concur oxy.
                    People are worried about the plight of warmongers. Have we forgotten about mobilizing for war? This HALVES the cost of military stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to arrange a formidable army in just a few turns.

Comment

Working...
                    X