No announcement yet.

The Forbidden Palace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. Not that it matters much, but can't the normal Palace be considered and listed as a Minor Wonder with Prerequisits: None? It can only be built once by each civ, so it matches the specification of a minor W. It's actually the first minor wonder you (and everyone else) builds, even though it's automatic.

Comment

Excellent!! Brilliant idea!! Keep 'em coming firaxis!!

Wonder what effect it has on culture? May be best to build it as early as possible..

Though that might mean it doesn't reduce corruption effectively as your empire expands in unexpected directions!!

I can't wait for Civ3!!!

Comment

Will the stupid French AI build its FP in a city right next to it's actual capital? (Paris-Versailles)

Dual capitals are quite common:

Beijing - Nanking
        Moscow - St. Petersburg
        Rome - Constantinople
        Cairo - Alexandria
        Persepolis - Susa (or is it Ekvatana?)
        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
        George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Zi 36

Well, any civ can build a pentagon shaped building, there's no problem about that. My main concern is just that it seems too easy to build the "Forbidden Palace" (which immediately gives rise to the idea of the "Forbidden City" in your head). I would disagree on the Apollo program too if it is very easily achieved.
          And any Civ could potentially build a group of palaces together as well. Matter of note is that many cultures built palaces and castles all over the place, just not many cultures built them all in one central location (I guess people liked to see more than one area).

Any technologically developed culture with the resources and will to build something generally can, just because a certain group of real life cultures built certain things doesn't mean they should be restricted in the game, IMHO.

Comment

good point Ozymandous, it's no harder to build and second palace as it is to build a pentagon or the apollo program.
            Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

I'm afraid that real world to Civ3 comparison doesn't go well.
              For example:
              If I play Russia and want to build the forbiden palace I wouldn't build it in Siberia maximize the effects on the cities. But in the real world the 2nd capital is St. Petersburg. Why would I build the forbiden palace in St. Petersburg?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandous
                And any Civ could potentially build a group of palaces together as well. Matter of note is that many cultures built palaces and castles all over the place, just not many cultures built them all in one central location (I guess people liked to see more than one area).

Any technologically developed culture with the resources and will to build something generally can, just because a certain group of real life cultures built certain things doesn't mean they should be restricted in the game, IMHO.
                Ah... no. any civ could NOT potentially build a group of palaces as large as the Forbidden City.

U have supported my point in your second paragraph: i dont think a 6 city civ can possibly have the resources to build a thing like the Forbidden City (maybe they should just rename it, it is just too much an ambiguous name).

Yes, i support the fact that just bcos a certain culture built something in real life doesn't mean it should be restricted in the game, BUT if they meant the thing to be something as great as F P or Apollo program, they better make it at least pretty much as difficult to build as in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by RedWhiteArcher
                  I'm afraid that real world to Civ3 comparison doesn't go well.
                  For example:
                  If I play Russia and want to build the forbiden palace I wouldn't build it in Siberia maximize the effects on the cities. But in the real world the 2nd capital is St. Petersburg. Why would I build the forbiden palace in St. Petersburg?
                  The reason to build a second (Forbidden) palace (not a Forbidden City) are somewhat different from real world and the game.

We must forget the opportunity of any move of Capital City in real life: in Italy we moved our capital city while we annexed all the territory that finally end as Italy. The minor shift can be accepted in real world. The game rules (probably) will require a different placement strategy.

BTW, I almost never moved my Palace. I love to keep my capital the same for all the game long.
                  "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I think the FP is a great idea.
                    Rome rules

Comment

Working...
                    X