No announcement yet.

The Forbidden Palace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this perhaps be the thus far unknown wonder that comes with Monarchy?
    Some time ago I suggested Salomon's Court as a wonder with Monarchy to reduce distance effects.
    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

It sounds great.
      At the start you could build your cities in a straight line from your capital then build FP in the 6th and buils out in a ring from both you FC and C
      Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

DP
        Last edited by Darkknight; September 28, 2001, 19:07.
        Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Hmm, you can move your palace (or at least you could in Civ 2)... can you move your Forbidden Palace? I wonder to what extent a small wonder acts as a city improvement and to what extent it acts like a wonder. You can only build one, but can you re-build it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
            I was afraid that in the end it would all come down to Democracy or Communism:

You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists!
            Are you suggesting that communists are terrorists? Russia and China have historically been attacked by terrorists, they haven't supported terrorists AFAIK (large powerful nations with nukes don't really need terrorists...in, fact supporting terrorists would severely hurt them diplomatically/politically without giving them much more in the way of military options)

Comment

sooo cool, that is a great idea. This will provide a great advanage to us you like Empires
              Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Actually, it's a small wonder. Once you have six cities, you can build a forbidden palace, which essentially acts like a second palace in terms of reducing corruption in your empire. It allows you to better deal with far-flung empires across a large territory without requiring you to constantly move your capitol.

Dan
                Great Idea people

Now maybe I'll try using something other than democracy sometimes - democracy can be so restrictive

Comment

bah, i find that stupid. ruling from two locations?

but thats just me.

have fun with it the rest of you.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

but thats just me.

Hmm, never heard of past monarchies having a "winter palace" and "summer palace"? Royalty often had two or more residences they could travel to based on the time of year or their mood.

This is not that unrealistic and even has a basis in real world history.

Comment

but thats just me.

Yeah, notice how well it worked in South Africa... Or Rome / Constantinople.
                      Having two governing centers isn't all that uncommon in history. Thats not to say it's always a good idea, however.

TFP mainly means adding a second administrative post in another part of the country. In the US, that would be Denver, Colorado, the second largest concentration of federal offices after DC (and real close to Cheyenne Mountain).
                      Given that rebuilding your palace means no more culture bonus, I like this idea.

Comment

and you dont think Rome / Constantinople had different views on running their land? do you honestly think they both reported to one leader with little or no corruption?
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

and you dont think Rome / Constantinople had different views on running their land? do you honestly think they both reported to one leader with little or no corruption?

You're acting as if the FP will be the home of an equal ruler in your empire which is a faulty assumption.

The FP will simply act as a second center of government, identical to the main Capital in all ways EXCEPT for having a duplicate ruler.

In this way a ruler would have essentially an extended reach without a conflict of power. Makes sense if you don't try to assume this second city will also contain a ruler to split youe empire and is merely a second base of command for the ruler to use when you're in the area.

After all, who's to say a ruler wouldn't spend half the year in one residence and the other half in the other simply to live in style while touring all of his/her empire?

Comment

And don't you think that you should die after the first turn because it is fairly over the natural lifespan of the time?

Ooo. I gotta start a thread about that.
                            "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                            "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                            "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Originally posted by RobC

Are you suggesting that communists are terrorists?
                              Hell no! Especially considering I'm sitting about 10 feet away from a Soviet flag. I was just playing around with GW's words. Sorry if I offended everyone.

Meanwhile, back on topic, Ozymandous has stated exactly what I was thinking in response to Uberkrux. But hey Uber! If you don't want to use a feature, don't.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

In Civ 2 when you lost your capital you were given the option of moving the palace to a different city. Could it be that if this happens, your capital then becomes the city with the forbidden palace and you can rebuild it???

Comment

Working...
                                X