Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um...

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
    i played the game.. first of all, i couldn't figure it out, and second of all, it froze my 256ram COMp!!

a good sign? i think not...
    Dude...with regards to your signature...that has to be one the most repugnant things I've seen in a long time. Revolting, actually.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
      Soren is the Firaxis guy who they feature in the video as getting lost in the game instead of checking for "memory leaks" as he was supposed to. It's nice to know that the "one-more-turn" syndrome is able to infect the programmers as well.

Further good news. Hopefully he's able to stand good on Sid's promise of "best AI in the genre" in Civ3.

Wow, thats excellent!
      Rome rules

Comment

No complaints about an AI who can kick us SPers in the groin at high levels. It's good Firaxis seems to have competent staff on these things... Good luck, SJ.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I'm just hoping that the AI can remember complex moves as well as those one-unit charges that they seem to always do.
          Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
          "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

yeah, those one unit charges made the AI civs like a bunch of barbarians. More of a nuisance than a threat really.
            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Good news indeed

Now, I wonder if the new spy screen will allow us to spy on an enemy expression as his fellow AI player kicks him in the groin
              To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

I really hope that the AI knows how to use armies. That alone could boost its chances of success, and together with a substantial production and trade bonus at deity could result in a very challenging AI.
                "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

It sounds like civ3 will have a good AI, that's great news, just as i thought.
                  Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

If Jacob who was working on the game while Soren wrote the AI was worried about what the Egyptian AI was going to do, that in itself is a good sign. It shows that the AI isnt a predictable 'send one unit out to be slaughtered, when its dead, send another one' type that featured in previous Civ games

EDIT: There, you cant notice any changes
                    Last edited by Skanky Burns; October 3, 2001, 21:15.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Actually, that wasn't Soren... it was Jacob Solomon who they talk to about that.
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
                        No complaints about an AI who can kick us SPers in the groin at high levels. It's good Firaxis seems to have competent staff on these things... Good luck, SJ.
                        Its easy as hell to create a perfect AI that will kick your ass every time. What I want is one that will react in an intelligent but human-like manner.
                        I don't do drugs anymore 'cause i find i can get the same effect by standing up really fast.

I live in my own little world, but its ok; they know me here.

Comment

I don't think "adaptive" is neccesary. A rule based AI is going to have to be there, with some sort of positional evaluators. Due to the branching factor, I doubt there will be THAT much look ahead. They won't see a suprise attack if it's coming by air. The horizon affect in civ means a civilization can only rely on the trust factor -- your reputation -- to see whether or not it needs to be prepared. So, much as in real life, a military assault can just come out of nowhere.

Yes, you don't want a perfect AI, but AI is a misnomer. It's mostly about tree searching and knowledge bases. It's not about "intelligence", just a particular class of computer software problems that often involve game playing and decision making.
                          You can't make perfect decisions unless every position has a perfect move. in chess, there may be a perfect move, but we don't have the search space to find it. Chinook is a program that has SOLVED checkers, meaning it knows perfect solutions to every endgame. The perfect AI would know the best move for any board state with a minimum of computation. But what is perfect? It's not really perfect decision making. It's making the best decisions with limited data (unless the computer cheats) and to do so in a reasonable amount of time.

And yes, I'm an AI buff. If I could incorporate it into the server programming I do at work, I'd so so Unfortunately there are no hiring game programming shops around.... that'd be my dream job. Forget the graphics...AI is where it's at.

Lisp rules!

Comment

Mark Everson was planning to use Genetic Algorithms in Clash of Civilisations.
                            Unfortunately the AI of the game so far is only rudimentary (but the game somehow is still hard to beat!)
                            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                            George Orwell

Comment

Soran is the guy with the glasses and beard, that was talking about culture. He had the turtle in the tank (far right)

Comment

I wonder how the AI will..adjust when the player will tweak the number of civs via the editor for a particular level ( any other number than the default ).
                                The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Working...
                                X