Cities under water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cities under water?

Does anybody knows if you may build cities under the water in Civ 3? Actually I think, that if the game stops in the year of 2000, then I do not hope that this option will be in the game; because do we have under-water-cities today? No!

"Beware of the English Empire; the English people are going to rule the world again in "CIVILIZATION III""
    Last edited by Mads Raven; September 27, 2001, 12:14.
    "Beware of the English Empire; the English people are
    going to rule the world again in "CIVILIZATION III""

no CONFIRMATION, but you could NEVER build underwater cities in a Sidilazation game, and i never saw any in a screenshot.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

and it could definately fubar ocean borders.

imagine surrounding an enemy island with cities
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I think CTP ruined ocean and space cities for a lot of us but I think they still can be implemented well.

Look at AC, ocean based cities seemed to work fine there. I know we can't just transplant those here but I'm just saying that it could work.
        Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Comment

Ocean cities wouldn't be that bad, but I'd rather leave them to CtP. Civ3 (and probably 4) won't be going far enough into the future to make it realistic.

Comment

Look at AC, ocean based cities seemed to work fine there. I know we can't just transplant those here but I'm just saying that it could work.
            Yeah, look at SMAC. The @#$%ing AI ICSed worthless pop2 cities all over the ocean. This was annoying, and I eventually commited countless atrocities burning them all down. I just don't trust firaxis to implement sea cities properly (and I'm none to fond of the job activision did either).

Does anybody knows if you may build cities under the water in Civ 3? Actually I think, that if the game stops in the year of 2000, then I do not hope that this option will be in the game; because do we have under-water-cities today? No!
            But no doubt, in some alternate history, sea cities were developed in, say, the 1980s. Let's say England in a history without WWI and WWII built them. SInce civ is about rewriting history, not replaying it, sea cities would be kosher.

Comment

I hate underwater or space cities. They are just stupid. Imagine refueling the jet fighter you build in 1967 under water. What the heck is that?
              ==========================
              www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Re: Cities under water?

Originally posted by Mads Raven
                The game stops in 2020 AD. No underwater-cities, of course. Although I do hope that it is possible to make advanced, totally revamped futuristic SciFi-scenarios, that perhaps allow you to build such ocean-based cities.

Comment

Re: Cities under water?

Originally posted by Mads Raven
                  Does anybody knows if you may build cities under the water in Civ 3?
                  No way. Maybe in civ4 or 5.

Comment

I agree with Mister Pleasant: it was entirely frustrating having the AI place dozens of ocean cities around your land. Not only was it an eye sore, but it posed a dramatic strategic disadvantage when flight eventually grew to dominate the game. The only option was to go out and destroy them all, and then came the truly frustrating part - getting rid of them. It was a slow, tedious and expensive process starving them and producing a colony unit. The other alternative was to cause an atrocity, which was not my playing style. I suppose you could keep the cities, but it is against my aesthetic sensibility to maintain an AI positioned city.

Please, no ocean cities.

Bkeela.
                    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Okay, I know this doesn't quite fit the "Underwater cities" context of this thread but here it goes . . .

Is there global warming such that the oceans rise and destroy coastal cities? This is one of the few features I did like in CTP since it made pollution control much more important.

. . . oh, nevermind. Maybe I should just start a new thread

Comment

Uh, pretty sure there was global warming in civ 2 as well.

It sounds like some people are mad that the AI did something smart

Although underwater cities don't really fit into the scope of Civ 3, I hope that a future civ game will allow things such as underwater cities and allow the chance to go into the future a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
                          Yeah, look at SMAC. The @#$%ing AI ICSed worthless pop2 cities all over the ocean. This was annoying, and I eventually commited countless atrocities burning them all down. I just don't trust firaxis to implement sea cities properly (and I'm none to fond of the job activision did either).
                          Why bother? Just take them over.

The computer players only do this to hog resource squares. So to counter it you hog them yourself, first.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The idead of build cities at sea is a crap one I played SMAC quite a lot and to be honest I never build cities at sea if a nice feature but I think it does not add anything to the game as a whole. So I hope that they don't have it in the game/
                            I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

i wonder if we can build oil rigs on sea resource squares Give naval vessels something to protect and pillage

Comment

Working...
                              X