No announcement yet.

What Happens if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan said workers do not violate territory tresspassing, so i think building a fortess in enemy land is a bit of a no no
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Xmudder

I though Canada already *WAS* the 51st state...
      (They just haven't realised it yet)

But if you want to see the resilience of culture, look no further than Quebec.
      Blasphemer!!! I have been to the US many times and I find Canada and the US similar but they have significant differences. (ie. a lot less guns and fewer kooks who use them!, its colder here!!, we love hockey and to the US it's only a fad,we over react when someone says we're the 51st state.) I could go on and on.... but thankfully the polite Canadian in me won't....

PS: I think the US should become the 11th Canadian province!!!!
      "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
      "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

if canada was a us state then you damned draft dodging panzies wouldn't be able to wimp out of a war so easily...
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

They'd run to Mexico with all the banditos and their fritos
          I never know their names, But i smile just the same
          New faces...Strange places,
          Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
          -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

in WW2 (on the euro theatre) i beleive that canada lost more troops then the US (and dont forget the defeat at diep, i beleive that was a regiment 30,000 canadians, all killed or captured)

so i wouldnt be so quick to call canadians panzies.....
            eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

poor soldiers, then?

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
                in WW2 (on the euro theatre) i beleive that canada lost more troops then the US (and dont forget the defeat at diep, i beleive that was a regiment 30,000 canadians, all killed or captured)

so i wouldnt be so quick to call canadians panzies.....
                You're off by a factor of at least5 on the Dieppe losses. There were ~6000 troops (5000 can., 1000 amer.) who took part in the raid.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by randomturn
                  poor soldiers, then?
                  Go ask the Dutch if they were...

Or the folks who were at Vimy or Ypres.

Seriously, though, the Dieppe raid was a classic example of bad planning and inexperience on the par of the commanding officers. Landing an amphibious assault at a heavily defended port turned out not to be the best idea.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You gotta have mistakes to learn from if you want to learn from your mistakes. Just imagine if some geriatric in a wheelchair decided that it was the "right stuff" to go for Pas de Calais instead of Nromandy.... check out World War I.

Comment

Originally posted by randomturn
                      poor soldiers, then?
                      You run the risk of insulting people extremely much. Think about what you just said. I'm not insulted, but many would be.

I think Uber was talking about American draft dodgers, not Canadians who just aren't drafted in the first place (only at the VERY ends of the World Wars, which pissed us off mightily).

Want a mini-history lesson? Can you tell I have huge Canadian pride?

Anyhoo, Canadians were considered the "Storm Troopers" (Insert Star Wars "Empire's March" theme) in the World Wars because they were just plain good at killing people. The battles where we lost were generally due to the incompetence of high-ranking British generals who considered Australian and Canadian "colonists" as "cannon-fodder" (I bet you had no idea how many words you use actually refer to Canadians ). Vimy ridge was a very proud Canadian battle in France, where many attacks by coalition forces including 200 000 Brit and American troops couldn't capture it but on a different occasion about 100 000 Canadian troops managed to make huge gains and capture the lines while the enemy breakfast was still warm...on the second (!) line of defense. I am told that Vimy ridge is considered Canadian territory now (post-war gift from the French government).

By the way, Canuck is a term that originates from another wartime nickname like "Storm Troopers" - "Crazy Canucks".

WWI is Canada's famous war (yeah, us peace loving canucks are like badgers. You poke us, and we evolve over millions of years into humans and make you extinct through pollution), and though it never formally declared war (Britain did that for us) we got to sign the treaty of Versailles.
                      Your.Master

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.

Comment

Working...
                      X