What Happens if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happens if...

In Civ3 there is a new border thing etc, so what happens if in a war, you land troops right in the middle of your opponents empire and take a city. this city is in the middle of the AI territory, and miles away from your boarder.. do you sort of grew a new border or something.
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Of course!

Like Vatikan or San Marino inside Italy.

Comment

based on the city's cultural rating (probably with a considerable loss), you get a bubble of your own borders within their territory.

then culture ratings will force those borders to expand/contract.

I THINK MILITARY UNITS SHOULD BE ABLE TO MODIFY BORDERS.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Maybe, but then ultimately it is culture that defines the borders. Else it is similar to an occupation.

If you are in a contentious area culturally (eg Alsace-Lorraine) then military units can define the border, else it is a military occupation with detrimental effects. Eg Nazi occupation of Paris.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes, but:

That city will be under a high risk of cultural takeover.

You won't gain cultural benefits from the buildings that already exist in that city. You also won't gain benefits from the foreign citizens intially.

Comment

How do you prevent a cultural takeover? Do you have to have a whole lotta military units in the city?
            Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

Comment

I THINK MILITARY UNITS SHOULD BE ABLE TO MODIFY BORDERS.
              They can't do it for that long of course. Culture is a far more unifying force. Go down to south Texas. There may be an official border with checkpoints and police, but one side of the border is much like the other and most people have relationships (familial and friendly) with people on both sides. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

Question-
                If you are allied with a civ that has a city near one of your own cities, could u "assimilate" the city? I hope u can only assimilate enemy cities...you dont see chunks of Canada becoming the 51st state...

Comment

Agreed, allies should not be included in the mix. Cultural warfare should only occur with enemies or non-allies.

Comment

you dont see chunks of Canada becoming the 51st state...
                    That would be due to Canadian culture being on a par with American Culture.

I believe that a city is taken over culturally only if the cultural "attacker" has a much higher culture rating than the "defender". It's there to make you think twice before settling a new city directly on the border of France, so to speak, where the strength of the existing culture would envelop the young settlement.
                    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
                    "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
                    "I think it would be a good idea."
                    - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
                      Question-
                      If you are allied with a civ that has a city near one of your own cities, could u "assimilate" the city? I hope u can only assimilate enemy cities...you dont see chunks of Canada becoming the 51st state...
                      I though Canada already *WAS* the 51st state...
                      (They just haven't realised it yet)

But if you want to see the resilience of culture, look no further than Quebec.
                      Last edited by Xmudder; September 26, 2001, 16:51.

Comment

Good question!
                        According to info we have, the city you just aquired should have 0 culcure value, therefore size 0. If you want it to generate culture value, you have to get some building by yourself..
                        But somehow this seems weird.

Comment

i honestly dont understand why if i have 3 legions in enemy terriroty, how they can control that land, and use it effectively.

there should be a war-based way of border expansion.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I would assume that if a hostile military unit occupies a square it can't be worked as in all other civ games.

The primary method of military units to influence borders is and always has been to capture cities.

Also a militarily strong nation will probably have more success in diplomatically adjusting borders.

Comment

Does anyone know if forts have effects on borders? I can understand military units not affecting them, but I think a fortress should act as a one-square area of your civ, stretching your border if the fortress is close enough (say within 2 tiles of the border.)

Or perhaps a colony/fortress combination. Is that allowable on a single tile? Or are only fortified units allowed on a colony space?

Comment

Working...
                              X