Bombardment cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdd2007
    what a joke...dont u think ammunition is included in upkeep? why should it be seperate?
    Of course not you idiot.

If a unit does see action the whole turn, it wouldn't need to use ammo other than for annual exercises.

It's different when there's a real battle.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassin
      I believe, according to my WWII almanac, that each 76mm shell costed about half a cent to make.
      That seems to be off, way off. That wouldn't cover the cost of metal alone.

At any rate, what about 4000lb bombs or even cruise missiles that are several million dollars a pop?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That seems to be off, way off. That wouldn't cover the cost of metal alone. At any rate, what about 4000lb bombs or even cruise missiles that are several million dollars a pop?
        As if they had cruise missiles in WWII. And cruise missiles are very sophisticated, the bombs used in WWII were not.
        In war it's about quantity and not about quality, well anyway in WWII it was.
        So half a cent is possible.
        I am a skitzofrentic, and so am I.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher

As if they had cruise missiles in WWII. And cruise missiles are very sophisticated, the bombs used in WWII were not.
          Erm...if the bombs of WWII weren't that sophisticated, wouldn't they have built something better. And they had cruise missiles in WWII. Remember V1 and V2??.

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

It's a simple fact that military stockpiles that the planners expect to last for a month tend to be fired off within a week or two so until the next stockpile is built up the soldiers' ammunition are rationed !

Maybe this can be handled by a simple adjustment in upkeep cost - units in enemy territory cost double the standard upkeep...

of course, that means if a civilization want to go to war it better have the money to pay for it...... war is an expensive business.

PS. this would significantly affect game balance against warmongers. Warmongers beware

Comment

The just cost of bombarding.

In my opinion the only cost of bombarding must be movement, so if you move the unit you cannot bombard and if you bombard you cannot move your unit on that turn.

Someone has recalled Civ CTP, I think the status of the units: war, alert, peace was fine but I am not agree with reducing the length of the "energy" bar, the lack of strength had to be made by a modifier of the defense/attack points.

Thank you for reading this.

"Cantabria, te quiero".
              «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That seems to be off, way off. That wouldn't cover the cost of metal alone.

At any rate, what about 4000lb bombs or even cruise missiles that are several million dollars a pop?
                In 1940's dollars its on the low side but far from being way off.
                The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher

They had V-1s which are cruise missles. The Germans also had an anti-ship missle, air to air missle, and a few other things.
                  The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

those crazy germans. it's a wonder we won at all.
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Urban Ranger:

Upkeep is the assumed cost of all maintainance and supply of all of your units. Keep in mind that (during wartime) factories do not produce a shell for each one requested ("yeah, we used 2483 shells today, give us that many and no more"). The arms industry produces and stockpiles as much ammunition as possible during wartime, so regardless of the fighting each one of your units actually does the factories are producing (and costing you) ammo at roughly the same rate of speed as they did last turn. Obviously, more units creates more of a demand for ammo, so ammunition can be thus reflected in the upkeep of units in general, without the need for micromanagement costs. All this is assuming, of course, that the reports are true and Firaxis is using a CTP style military readiness guage.
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

he he, at the moment I posted this "Grapefruit!" is beating "yes"

Bak to the subject, I beleive the cost that goes into upkeep is MORE than enough, if 1000 civ dollers can buy a stealth bomber or two (havent checked) than 1 civ doller can buy quite a bit of amunition. And im paying them 1 per turn to stock ammo... SOOO, we should just pretend that they have enough ammo.

Or we could just play the game and not focus on abstract things like this
                        "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Adding cost to bombardment (ala Cossacks ) just adds to the micromanagement of the game. CIV games have always been about Empire control, not minute logistical details.

Comment

Working...
                          X