No announcement yet.

No "ceasefires"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, considering that it has been said that you can end a war and set new borders (ie, if some one is loosing they can go for a peace but the other civ may demand a bunch of cities or they will just continue to ransack them - much like the end of WW1)

this sounds great!

Cease fires in this game are sort of meaningless, as all it is is a a peace treaty where your enemies can still fortify out side your capital and block resources.
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Nukes are kind of tough, but I think the AI can be made to understand the harmful consequences of pollution.

In CTP2 when another Civ agreed to a anti-polution treaty they adhered to the guildlines.

There was a time when my pollution levels doubled and I was polluting about double of all the other civs combined. I was approached with anti-pollution treaties from all the other civs.

Actually I would say that because of the very direct numerical representation of pollution and to an extent even nukes that the AI would be better able to grasp the issues of pollution and nukes than to decide whether to sign a cease fire or peace treaty for example.

Comment

I don't think there are such cease-fires anyways, the opposite of war is peace, if you aren't at war, you are at peace. The Treaty of Versailles was basically just a cease-fire from WWI to WWII. It's not like the Germans became peaceful towards the French between the wars.

In future Civ games, I would like to see scalable units. Not just a non-specific battleship, but different sizes and types. The Yamato class battleships were humongous compared to the rest of the world's fleets' ships. Had it not been for carriers, the Yamato class ships would have been tough ships to sink. For example, putting a limit on the size of battleships (Treaty of Versailles), specifying the ban on certain units (Germany wasn't supposed to build an air force after WWI), and specifying a cap on the size of armed forces (Japan wasn't supposed to have any troops other than a domestic force after WWII).

I think that these things probably won't make it into a Civ game because too many Civers are the kind of people that don't want to think, they just want to play. I call them Cavemen Gamers.

"OOH OOH build tank... move left... declare war... attack *yourcivhere*"

I'd much rather see a game that requires thinking and real strategy.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

oh, when my mighty Polish Panzers come toward your Civ, you shall phear.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I think I read a waaaaaaay back that you can ask another civ to lower it's pollution. think that was in an early game preview. Maybe it's not in anymore, but I'm pretty sure I saw that mentioned at one point.

Don't know about the ABM treaty or arms reduction, but that sounds like a nifty idea.

Who knows? they may have implemented it already.

There seems to be lots of new stuff in the game, and Firaxis is being pretty cagey about releasing it. Only recently did anyone find out that fighters/bombers no longer work like ground units, and still no details exist about how that works (attacks/turn, etc).

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by all the new features they've stuffed into Civ III.

Phutnote

Comment

In Civ2, you could lower pollution in a city just by building "Clean Improvements", like Solar Power and Mass Transit, without any loss of production. So if you had an anti-pollution treaty, the AI would simply have to prioritise the construction of these improvements in Cities with the highest pollution!!
              As for anti-nuclear treaties. This is just a question of the AI disbanding a certain number of its strategic and/or tactical missile units!!
              Research treaties would simply involve each side getting a set percentage of the others TOTAL research "points" added to their own (or simply adding your totals together!!)
              I do hope that cease-fires exist, because a peace-treaty usually involves the movement of hostile units from "enemy" cities, wheras cease fires are, as has been mentioned, merely a cessation of hostilities which can be reneged on at any time (with little or no loss of reputation). Breaking a PEACE treaty, on the other hand should come at a very high cost.

Yours,
              The_Aussie_Lurker

Comment

I agree that there is an important distinction between cease fires and peace treaties.

Comment

[SIZE=1] . For example, putting a limit on the size of battleships (Treaty of Versailles), .
                  That's Washington Conference, not Treaty of Versailles.
                  ==========================
                  www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Does anybody ever saw any polluted tile on AI's territory? I think I didn't. So, I don't see a reason to negotiate about reducing pollution with the AI.
                    Zaki

Comment

Yep. Every time i start a nuclear war with another civ, they never clean the pollution up... I lost 470 points last time (silly me decided to launch nukes the turn before my spaceship landed on AC)
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I love the idea of being able to define borders within a treaty - Historically border disputes have been some of the most contentious and therefore interesting diplomatic situations.

I really hope this means that in CIV III you can have situations where two civilisations sign a treaty where they 'carve up' land - irrespective of the local indigenous civilisation...he he

(example: Spain and Portugal with regard to the Americas)
                        tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

Yep. Every time i start a nuclear war with another civ, they never clean the pollution up... I lost 470 points last time (silly me decided to launch nukes the turn before my spaceship landed on AC)
                          Actually, they did clean up the pollution. I saw it happen once or twice after getting my third Global Warming

Honestly, they do clean up. But I think only if the food production becomes to low to support the city's population, or something.
                          Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Well, ill admit that the three or so turns i waited wasnt really long enough for them to get started on it, but after 3 global warmings... thats just *slightly* too long for me to wait
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

i only ever use nukes as a last resotrt, i think 'i have a veteran fleet with veteran air/ground units, why should they sit on their arses all day'

any way, its more fun having a carrier fleet ransack a civ.
                              eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Working...
                              X