Are you going to eat that? [modernity and life expectancy]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you going to eat that? [modernity and life expectancy]

To account for the fact that Pacific islanders and native american tribes who have long lived in feast or famine environments seem to exhibit the greatest weight gain when introduced to the fantastically overwhelming bounty of American foodstuffs, I'd like to see some sort of adaptive effect, carrying over from the civ's point of origin on the map up to the present day refrigeration-equivalent.

That way when your civ discovers mcdonalds and subway and taco bell and burger king and wendy's and jack in the box and hot dog on a stick and fresh choice and olive garden and chili's and chevy's and sizzler and red lobster and arby's and weinerschnittzel and aunt annie's pretzels and jamba juice and outback steakhouse and cracker barrel, those civ groups that started in such desert areas would suddenly experience a drop in life expectancy that would really add depth to the game.

Cause trust my doctors, it's not like weighing a couple of hundred pounds over the ideal has no effect.
    I'm typing this from my bathtub. It helps support my girth.

Would we see the faces on the city screen getting rounder a well?
    To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Yeah, that would work. I think it would also help combat the widespread american opinion that obesity is always an out and out personal failing. From my tub i've had a lot of time to do research, and it's really heartbreaking when I hear about native populations whose average weights are lower than my weight being labelled as horrendously fat or morbidly obese.

So yes they should get rounder, but I want to know what other people think. We've ignored for too long the anthropological reasons for weight gain, right UberKrux?
      I'm typing this from my bathtub. It helps support my girth.

Comment

Working...
      X