Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what the heck is this new "Longevity" wonder anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what the heck is this new "Longevity" wonder anyway?

Allow me to quote a firaxis member for a moment; "There is, however, a new Great Wonder (Longevity) which provides a similar pop boom."

Longevity?
    What is this trying to reflect? How is this a wonder?
    This is such an abstract concept, it's difficult to try to visualize this as a great wonder.

Let's refer to Webster's dictionary on this one

lon·gev·i·ty (ln-jv-t, lôn-)
    n. pl. lon·gev·i·ties

1. Long life; great duration of life: His longevity vexed his heirs.
    Length or duration of life: comparing the longevities of the two peoples.
    2. Long duration or continuance, as in an occupation: had unusual longevity in the company; her longevity as a star.

Interesting, but a wonder? Perhaps something else could have been used to reflect Longevity, but not simply the word Longevity itself. Maybe the rock of Gibraltor or something. I don't know, but you get the point.
    At this point I am somewhat critical of this abstract concept being considered a wonder, it seems as hokey as the whole "rider" thing. IMHO
    Last edited by monkspider; September 25, 2001, 21:41.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

I think this is supposed to replace the futuristic Cure for Cancer wonder, as in the Longevity Vaccine in SMAC. I believe it is a medical concept of extending the length of life for people.

Comment

It's very possible that you are right Kyller, but why not "Cure for Cancer" rather than the hokey "longevity".
      I always liked that Cure for Cancer was a wonder, I can't imagine why it would be replaced by an abstract concept.

Comment

I agree..."Longevity" does not have that classic Wonder of the World feel to it. I was hopeing they'd be getting away from arbitrary, intangible wonders like Women's Suffrage. I want a building or a monument in my city, not an icon.

Also, I can understand why no one else could build the pyramids in Civ II. It was inherently an Egyptian thing (with almost an exception in the New World, I know, but hey...) But can you imagine saying to your citizens "Sorry, the Portugese built Longevity, so you have to die now." That's just wrong.

In CivII the demographics included life expectancy, and maybe someone around here knows exactly what that was based on, and what effects it had. I don't. That would be interesting to find out...

OK, I agree with monkspider that "Longevity" would make a really hokey wonder. Anybody disagree?
        "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

Yeah, Cure for Cancer would be much more acceptable to me too.
          "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

It's CTP all over again...
            be free

Comment

Firaxis is showing that they're really on the ball. Longevity is a concept that is right around the corner. Might be much sooner than a general cure for cancer, although there have been good advances there too.

Yes, I know. It sounds odd. Downright bizarre. But consider that Firaxis is quite near one of the finest medical institutions in the world (Johns Hopkins) with one of the top longevity programs.

sn00py: I'm almost insulted for Firaxis' sake. Take it back.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yeah, it sounds kind of hokey, but maybe Firaxis knows something we don't.

Comment

Kyller: I would count on it. There have been rumors in Washington for a couple of years now (Washington is particularly interested in demographic structure, as you might imagine). Some of the details are weird, so I don't know how much stock to put in them.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Good thoughts DanS, and I will love the game regardless of possibly hokily named wonders. But ya still gotta wonder (no pun intended) what their real rationale is? What is the story behind this? What motivated Sid and his pals to create this wonder? This is certainly beyond intangible wonders like Women's Suffrage or even the old Cure for Cancer, this isn't even an event. It is simply a state of being. By this same reasoning "Equality" or "Happiness" or even "Wisdom" could be considered "Wonders of the World". If Sid and the gang want to create a wonder that reflects a greatly increased lifespan, they ought to stick with Cure for Cancer or use something similar (Penicillin perhaps?).

Comment

Your info certainly gives us optimism for these trying times DanS.

Comment

Edit: This post was misunderstood and I decided just to delete it altogether.
                        Last edited by Pembleton; September 25, 2001, 23:18.

Comment

I think its safe to assume that Longevity will be a small wonder, meaning any civ can build it. But still, this should be a technology, not a wonder, even a small one! Some techs in Civ2 gave specific advantages, like +1 naval movement with Nuclear Power, that's how this one should work as well. Same problem with another wonder officially mentioned, Battlefield Medicine. Both of these are technologies that are not tied to one city, as wonders are. Lets say you built these two wonders in Baltimore, and Baltimore is conquered. Everyone in your civ suddenly stops living as long? The medics on the battlefield suddenly stop knowing what to do? I think not.

I agree that if the name is changed to something more concrete, it would be easier to buy. Human Genome Project for example, could conceivably lead to longer life, and is easier to envision as exsisting in a certain city (though even that is a stretch these days).

Who knows, perhaps they'll outsmart us all and have two kinds of wonders, abstract, which though built by a certain city, does not exist in concrete form and can't be destroyed, and concrete. That doesn't fit with their less complexities the better approach, though.

Comment

Pembleton: I don't agree with any aspect of your post. Indeed, I find it revolting and think you're FOS (no offense meant ). However, that's a question for off-topic.
                            Last edited by DanS; September 25, 2001, 23:07.

Comment

Exactly, I agree with you completely Harlan. I am interested to hear Firaxis' thoughts on this subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X