Infogrames stock plummets 27% today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

terrorism hits video games too...

Civ III is too near its completion to be compromised.
    Now what will happen to MoO3?
    The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Swissy: many more people own PCs than own consoles, at least in the US, Canada, and Scandinavia. It is one of the phenomena that the internet has brought us. There are likely 4 or 5 times the number of potential users of Civ3 than Civ1, for instance.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It would be foolish for infogrames to get out of the PC market. For one thing, there are too many different brands of consoles (all of which are incompatible). Computers can continually be upgraded to accept better and better programs, whereas with a console you keep it until a new one comes out. Consoles aren't useful for anything other than games, which is why people buy computers. for those who cannot afford the luxury of a computer and a console, a computer is a much more attractive option. if a company goes solely into console games, it'll be back. Consoles are never good enough to sell a nice, reliable computer for. Never
        Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

Originally posted by GP
          Anybody interested in my Apolyton revenue model?
          Any specific implementation plans?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by isaac brock
            For one thing, there are too many different brands of consoles (all of which are incompatible).
            There are ways around this. Years ago in the good old days, all computers are different, even from the same company. So VIC-20 was different from Commodore 64, Apple II was different from Atari 800 (which surprisingly quite similar to the Atari 400), and so forth. Just like the consoles today.

Programs can be developed so all the hardware dependent bits are isolated in one spot, making it easy to change them.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              Seems like a good time to invest in them then. Assuming they survive until Civ 3 is released, they should be raking it in then. But then again, im not an accountant or anything...
              Yeah, remember Infogames is also publishing Moo3. That's a huge deal. Plus I just downloaded one of the negotiation screens for Moo3. Very real, fluid, smooth.

It should be great as well. But I love Civ, I will always love civ. After almost 11 years I still play my original civ.
              A wise man once said, "Games are never finished, only published."

Comment

I'm surprised.

First of all, no matter which side of the fence you sit upon (Firaxis will release and make loads of money vs. the sky is falling), I would be worried if I were an MP person or owned a Mac. I'm sure there will be Mac versions of Civ 3 available at the beginning, but the largest number of sales is toward the PC version. Let that be a lesson to all of you Mac users

Secondly, I'm surprised that someone hasn't started a debate over whether or not Civ 3 should include some type of global economy, as is true-to-life in our real world. If the U.S. economy enters a recession (and many say it already has) and stays there for any length of time, the economies of nations across the globe are affected. Thus, in the Civ 3 equivelant, if Japan and Babylon suffer recessions, the world economy in the Civ 3 games is altered toward the negative. Of course, having AI be 6/7 of the game would make this a crap part of the game. In MP it would likely be a better component of the game, but upon saying that we revert back to paragraph one of this message...
                Your ad here!

Comment

civcop: while definitely interesting, adding some sort of global economic model would be very ambitious. Rather, the game does well enough by dealing with economics at the macro level using population and productivity. I think more fertile ground would be adding immigration as a factor.

"I would be worried if I were an MP person or owned a Mac."

Yes, I'm an MP person and am worried that they'll try to force me to support a failing bottom line.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                  X