Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wishlist: which Wonders should be included?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishlist: which Wonders should be included?

When I was thinking of the Wonders of the World in Civ2, I realized there are many huge buildings around the world which are not in the game right now and probably should be added. This thread is meant for those who would like to propose a famous monument to be included in Civ3. Please don't mention your local church, your garage, your own house (Well, unless you live in the Buckingham Palace ) and so on. For a start I've made a small list of good Wonders:

The Tai Mahal;
    The Opera of Sydney;
    Mount Rushmore;
    The Notre Dame, Paris;
    The Kremlin;
    The Acropolis, Athens

Nice buildings to be sure, but i don't know that they all should be wonders. I mean, I've seen some pretty cool Taco Bells, but most of them aren't good enough to be wonders...
    Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

Firaxis better already have decided what Wonders they are using or I will get even more concerned over what they have accomplished. No time to add even more wonders that are of less importance. All it would do is add CtP style sleaze.
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Of course they know which wonders are in, otherwise i don't think they would have given the number of 12 major wonders, 24 small wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac brock
          Of course they know which wonders are in, otherwise i don't think they would have given the number of 12 major wonders, 24 small wonders.
          we fanatics know it all. good point.
          Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

What an excellent post! I think that post is so accurate it should be a news item!

Comment

Wonder I would like:-

The Channel Tunnel
              The trans-Siberian railway
              Stonehenge
              The Berlin Wall

and something that is modern Japanese.

Comment

There are so many wonders that could be made. In real life, they aren't the top seven things, though.

What about the CP (Canadian-Pacific) railway? Grants railway access between all cities on the continent? Can you think of a wonder that would have a stupider effect?

Then again, I don't think the Statue of Liberty is much of a wonder. I wonder at it's effect, too. The statue of liberty enables Monarchy (to weird civs who trade for democracy before getting Monarchy)? It usually just grants Communism and Fanatacism too, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is basically against everything the lady stands for (actually, Communism being unliberty-like is just and American perception, but still).

So, what do we replace it with? The heads on Easter Island, which somehow bestow culture upon all your cities? Or in Manhattan project vein, the Philadelphia experiment - destroys one of your ships and makes it reappear years later in foreign waters with crewmen who claim that it's just days after they departed...

Nah, a lot of the wonders are already stretches. Don't add more stretches (although, if they can think of GOOD effects, that might be different).

I in no way expect or want this, but might it be neat if each civ had different names for the same wonders? King Richard's Crusade = Saladin's war?
                Your.Master

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.

Comment

Some more wonders I can think about right now:
                  Eiffel Tower
                  Hagia Sophia - http://www.fullcirc.com/family/turke...ophia/soph.htm
                  Monastery in Czestochowa (my local favorite) - http://www.jasnagora.pl/english/

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                    Firaxis better already have decided what Wonders they are using or I will get even more concerned over what they have accomplished. No time to add even more wonders that are of less importance. All it would do is add CtP style sleaze.
                    Civ2 had several expansion packs. I think new Wonders for Civ3 could be added even after the release.

Originally posted by red_jon
                    Wonder I would like:-

The Channel Tunnel
                    The trans-Siberian railway
                    Stonehenge
                    The Berlin Wall

and something that is modern Japanese.
                    Adding The Berlin Wall is a great idea, because this is indeed one of the most important buildings in the recent history. If you would like a modern Japanese building, you should try to find a very famous one first, otherwise I'm not sure wether it deserves to be a wonder.

Originally posted by Your.Master
                    I in no way expect or want this, but might it be neat if each civ had different names for the same wonders? King Richard's Crusade = Saladin's war?
                    What should be the Roman name for Cure for Cancer? How would the Egyptians call the SETI Project? I don't think this is going to work.

Comment

Le Louvre!!!

It got a big influence at its time. Lots of countries tried to copy it after. It is a marvel that cost tremendous amounts. I don't think many buildings cost that much per square meter also, thus it is very wealthy. I just wonder why it isn't in...
                      Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

i was thinking 12 grand wonders isnt enough cos the ones fom civ2 wet enough but then i remembered their constcutions is slowed and the minor ones are still quite individual, 'cos you stop the AI getting the prequisttites like 5 iron for iron works, just hog it!
                        Just my 2p.
                        Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
                        Which shows you learn something every day.
                        formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

If the Statue of Liberty is a wonder, then it should probably provide a big culture boost to the city it is built in to simulate the influx of immigration associated with it ( "...your tired, your poor... etc" ), something like 50% culture bonus to culture producing improvements.

Comment

I think the idea of wonders was to use things that are unique and symbolic of a particular culture/civilization. There is only one Statue of Liberty (ok, forget the prototype one in Paris), and everyone knows it is American. Likewise, the Great Wall is indisputably Chinese and the Pyramid at Cheops is Egyptian. The point of building a wonder should be to create something emblematic of your nation. I think there is a lot of room for improvement, but I don't know about adding more wonders. They are, after all, Wonders!

Stonehenge could be an early wonder, but then again...doesn't it predate civilization? Same with the Easter Island heads.

I think, by and large, the civ team has the wonders pretty well covered. The Chunnel is a possibility, but what would it do? Perhaps enable one land unit per turn to cross a body of water that was a certain number of tiles wide (like 3?). Or connect two cities on different continents with an airdrop like function, perhaps (which would require working in a way to select the receiving city of the chunnel, which would be a civ first...2 cities sharing a wonder!).

I think the Empire State Building should be considered, too. It was the first super-sky scraper of its kind and opened the era of 100-story plus tall buildings.

BG
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The Eisenhower Tunnel through the continental Divide.

Or for that matter the Interstate/Autobahn systems

Comment

Working...
                              X