No announcement yet.

Refrigeration and Advanced Irrigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hear all this stuff about the PW system of CTP, and i dn't like that at all, but then again i haven't played CTP.

sometimes i want to build roads to areas, not seccessarily in my borders.

and in MP i often help out allied humans with stuff (i usually have 1-2 settlers per city)
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

How can you ever try to be better than the AI if there is no micromanagement? Getting dirty hands by doing something yourself makes your civ alive, instead of an illustrated spreadsheet. For this same reason I cannot understand people who claim to love Civ and at the same time want public works.

Some automation could be nice, like building a road between two cities. But why should the automation available to players have the same intelligence as the AI? Let the AI use some smarter algorithm than is available to the lazy human player.

Comment

I liked creating farmland in Civ II myself, but I can understand some wanting to move away from the double micromanagement. We have seen screenshots with at least better-looking irrigation in more modern times:

Much prettier than the ancient irrigation. But I do think there needs to be some means of representing the rapid growth of cities due to vastly superior farming/storage technology. I don't mind the farmland, but I don't have a better solution than what they already did.

Comment

Originally posted by saracen31
          We have seen screenshots with at least better-looking irrigation in more modern times
          Is that irrigation? It looks like fungus. Maybe this means that they're still tweaking it...

Comment

well you probably haven't seen much farming because we haven't got many modern screenshots. but i think the one you linked to is a very early screenshot, and that irrigation is much uglier than normal
            Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

I could understand many people like micomanagment so they can have an edge over the AIs. It is fun in the early game when decision between roadbuilding or an irrigation is important, but by the time you reach refrigeration, the question is a no brainer. You would like to irrigate, at the second level, all over the map, and you have the manpower to do so. Quite monotonous.

Just because the first level of food-tile improvement stands for "irrigation", doesnt mean that the second level means "even more irrigation". Obviously the second level of food-tile improvement means modern fertilization, mechanized agriculture, crop-development and whatnot. Isnt that obvious?
              This is exactly what the second level of irrigation is, but, what workers have to do with 'modern fertilization, mechanized agriculture, crop-development and whatnot'? Workers or engineers are meant to do public works and infrastructure, not private development. Shields from mining do increase from tech without further micromanagement, why not food production.

Personally I feel that insensible feature are acceptable as long as it is fun and enhance gameplay, just like caravan. But I don't see how that second level irrigation make for better gameplay or is sensible.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else. But I have never once irrigated on any multiplayer game. Ever. And I have lost only a handful of times. It's not important in multiplayer.(Most of us played on Doubles anyway, so really how much could it matter)

But I do like it for extended game purposes, whether that be AI, scenario, or even purposeful long games imposed by a group of players.
                A wise man once said, "Games are never finished, only published."

Comment

Working...
                X