More City Styles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More City Styles!

Yes, I know it is probably a little late, but I would like to see more different city styles.

I think we don´t need a special style for every civ, since for example many cities in Europe look very similar (generally - sure they differ in detail ) Perhaps there could be a mixture of styles that are used by all civs, some for several civs and some that are unique.

Some suggestion for special styles:

- ancient Egyptian
    - ancient oriental (for Persians/Babylonians)
    - ancient Greek/Roman
    - medieval European (Germany/England/France)
    - medieval Islamic (for Egypt/Persia)

More ideas?
    Blah

Originally posted by BeBro
    Yes, I know it is probably a little late, but I would like to see more different city styles.
    Yes, why not? In addition to this however, I want distinctive city-graphical changes when progressing from one era to the next; from ancient -> middle age -> industrial -> modern time. That enhances the feel of time passing by (a feeling that was so absent in SMAC), and makes it easier to compare/fit in part-goal achievements, against the inevitable progressing timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf

Yes, why not? In addition to this however, I want distinctive city-graphical changes when progressing from one era to the next; from ancient -> middle age -> industrial -> modern time. That enhances the feel of time passing by (a feeling that was so absent in SMAC), and makes it easier to compare/fit in part-goal achievements, against the inevitable progressing timeline.
      This is in, as are distinct city styles that depend on the culture group of the Civ. So Germans and French share the same style of map city look, but the Germans look radically different from the Japanese, for example.

Dan
      Dan Magaha
      Firaxis Games, Inc.
      --------------------------

Comment

If you look at the Top 5 cities screen posted on civ3.com, you can see some of these styles. There is an ancient Mediteranean style featured as well as a medieval European style.

Thanks Dan, for your help.

Comment

Yes, thanks Dan

What I don´t like in Civ2 and Civ2 ToT is that from a certain period on all cities look the same, e.g. in Civ2 ToT all cities are the same since the Renaissance, then they only change to Industrial or Modern, but without differences between the cultures. I hope your answer says that this is improved in Civ3...
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
            Yes, thanks Dan

What I don´t like in Civ2 and Civ2 ToT is that from a certain period on all cities look the same, e.g. in Civ2 ToT all cities are the same since the Renaissance, then they only change to Industrial or Modern, but without differences between the cultures. I hope your answer says that this is improved in Civ3...
            Yes, this certainly is improved in Civ3. All cities change depending on what era they're in, but each city will look differently depending on its size as well as the culture type of the city.

Dan
            Dan Magaha
            Firaxis Games, Inc.
            --------------------------

Comment

Happy to have this confirmed by you Dan, but I had almost realized myself (unless you had played a lot with the city graphics )

On this screen you can see French Industrial cities, and some Chinese cities too.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I'm glad there will be cultural distinctions that carry through to the modern age. It's easy to see that modern day Paris doesn't look like Hong Kong or LA, even though all are in the modern age.

On a side note, the French industrial cities don't look like really nice places to live (I suppose this accurately reflects the realities of the Industrial Revolution ), but what an dingy, grey looking city.

Comment

Originally posted by jsw363
                  On a side note, the French industrial cities don't look like really nice places to live (I suppose this accurately reflects the realities of the Industrial Revolution ), but what an dingy, grey looking city.
                  They may have changed them, but I guess that they will look boring how thy make them. It is that era
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                    Yes, this certainly is improved in Civ3. All cities change depending on what era they're in, but each city will look differently depending on its size as well as the culture type of the city.
                    Great news! Also size/culture-depending city-graphics are great.

Compare these graphical "era-chapters" with driving on a motorway with regular side-attractions and shifting nature-scenerys to look at. The feeling of time flowing by is obviouisly much more apparent, then compared with if you are confronted with the same monotonous & bare landscape all the time.
                    Last edited by Ralf; September 16, 2001, 10:42.

Comment

I suppose it would be too much to ask, but I'd like to city differences in individual cities of the same civ -- so that all my size 21+ cities don't look exactly the same. (Plus it was always too easy in Civ2 to make all your cities the largest size [large enough to get the largest city icon on the map], almost no matter where they were.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
                        Great news! Also size/culture-depending city-graphics are great.
                        Absolutely!

El hidalgo, I agree that even more details would be fine, however, I also think that there is a limit somewhere. Perhaps in Civ3 we have more than the 255 (?) cities from Civ2 , so when many of them are of the same size it would be a LOT of work to make so much different gfx for all those cities. And this would be only for one culture, at one age, the same amount of work would be needed for other cultures/ages too...
                        Blah

Comment

i hope there can be more than 255 cities per civ, especially if the maps are 6x larger.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

well, gee, who coulda seen that coming...

the only city style that was the same for all cultures in civ2 was modern, which i actually think SHOULD be the same, because the level of difference in city styles is less and less as time goes on in the real world, because this is one aspect of realism that would affect the gameplay absolut++++nada and therefore should be included.

im not trying to be cynical, just why are you guys so excited over this?
                            And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Re: well, gee, who coulda seen that coming...

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
                              the only city style that was the same for all cultures in civ2 was modern, which i actually think SHOULD be the same, because the level of difference in city styles is less and less as time goes on in the real world, because this is one aspect of realism that would affect the gameplay absolut++++nada and therefore should be included.

im not trying to be cynical, just why are you guys so excited over this?
                              So London looks the same as New York? And Hong Kong looks like Rome?

Comment

Working...
                              X