Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hut! Hut! Hike!

I hate huts.

Various games of all genres have often included in their models the 'goodies', the 'bonuses', the cutesy random and pseudorandom events that give the gaming experience more color, more interest, more excitement. Oh, boy, look what I found! This'll come in handy!

Quakesque shoot-em-ups have their hidden power-up stashes. RPGs have their secret doors and special quests. And civlike games have huts.

I hate huts. I detest, despise, abhore huts. They are an atrocity. They are beyond imbalanced, beyond broken. They are simply mindless. Free gold. Free military units. Free technologies. Free settlers. Free cities.

Free game wins. I recall, with both amusement and bemusement, a Deity-level game of Civ2 in which, over the course of opening my first dozen huts, I was awarded no less than FIVE additional settlers and/or cities. Five. I had almost a dozen cities by the year 3000. I discovered gunpowder by the year 2500. So much for the challenge of Deity.

In Civ2, at least, huts no longer grant 'goodies' once your nation has progressed sufficiently. Civ1 was even more moronic; I managed to acquire Atomic Fusion from 'ancient scrolls of wisdom' by saving a goodie hut all game long. Whee.

And neither of the games allow you to turn OFF the bloody things. We can affect just about every other feature of the terrain; why not this one? I doubt it comes as any surprise for me to note that I tire of the ever-expanding 'hut army', where opening huts reveals military units (horsies!) who then wander the world looking for still more huts to gain still more military units, who then all descend upon some poor, unsuspecting neighbor.

All without actually *building* a single military unit in a city. I've won games that way, too, without ever building a military unit -- in fact, without ever building ANY CITIES AT ALL. Yes, in a small world, Deity level, I've managed to destroy ALL of my enemies by simply opening every single hut on the map (using my starting settler, at first) that I could find. In the end, I won -- but I didn't build a single city of my own. I wouldn't have had any, had I not been forced to take over the computer opponents' cities for the win.

Thus, I am prompted to ask the following questions:

- Are there huts in Civ3?
    - Are they still horribly imbalanced?
    - Can they please, for the love of bananas, finally be disabled by the user?

- Metamorph

In SMAC the equavalnt could be turned off, so the answer is probably yes.

Btw I think the huts sometimes funny, it can give an unexpected turn to events. But as soon as you manage the game being able to switch them off was good in SMAC, otherwise I juts had the idea getting it all a little too easy.

In CivIII I presume that barbarians are more linked to them, so perhaps they are not always positive, but if you do not conquer or diplomatically annex them they could start to spawn barbarians, so you are forced to do something about them.

Comment

Wow! This has rivaled one of my rants.

I do agree, being a realist, I dislike huts. Instead, I propose this. How about stumbling upon ancient relics? Suppose in the year 1800 AD, an English expidition finds the ruins of the ancient Zulu tribe that was killed around 3000 BC. There could be some sort of gold value attached to the find, or maybe just a boost in your culture rating.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

*If* you can turn them off, then either you shouldn't or won't be playing with civ abilities. This is because one of the bonuses of being an expansionist civ is to get "better stuff" from goody huts.

Comment

Pembleton: "*If* you can turn them off, then either you shouldn't or won't be playing with civ abilities. This is because one of the bonuses of being an expansionist civ is to get "better stuff" from goody huts."

This strikes me as one of the more nauseatingly idiotic things I've heard. So rather than acknowledge that huts are stupid and broken, Sid decided to exaggerate the problem. *sigh*

What are the other supposed benefits of being an expansionist? Perhaps the civ ability is still viable even without hut madness.

- Metamorph

Comment

Metamorph: ease off on the personal insults.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It was now midnight, and my task was drawing to a close. I had completed the eighth, the ninth, and the tenth tier. I had finished a portion of the last and the eleventh; there remained but a single stone to be fitted and plastered in. I struggled with its weight; I placed it partially in its destined position. But now there came from out the niche a low laugh that erected the hairs upon my head. It was succeeded by a sad voice, which I had difficulty in recognising as that of the noble Fortunato. The voice said --

"Ha! ha! ha! -- he! he! -- a very good joke indeed -- an excellent jest. We will have many a rich laugh about it at the palazzo -- he! he! he! -- over our wine -- he! he! he!"

"The Amontillado!" I said.

"He! he! he! -- he! he! he! -- yes, the Amontillado . But is it not getting late? Will not they be awaiting us at the palazzo, the Lady Fortunato and the rest? Let us be gone."

"Yes," I said "let us be gone."

"FOR THE LOVE OF BANANAS, MONTRESOR!"

"Yes," I said, "for the love of bananas."

- dedicated to E.A. Poe, with apologies.

Comment

What was the point of that?
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Great ranting!!
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    Metamorph: ease off on the personal insults.
                    Not that I particularly care -- since I don't -- but where, precisely, did I perform a personal insult in this thread?

The closest I came, as far as I can tell, was:

"This strikes me as one of the more nauseatingly idiotic things I've heard. So rather than acknowledge that huts are stupid and broken, Sid decided to exaggerate the problem. *sigh*"

Sid decided to exaggerate the problem. Hardly a personal insult. I mean, if I felt that Sid was a blind, stubborn, money-grubbing, pathetic loser of a game designer, I'd just come right out and say it, now wouldn't I?

- Metamorph

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassin
                      How about stumbling upon ancient relics? Suppose in the year 1800 AD, an English expidition finds the ruins of the ancient Zulu tribe that was killed around 3000 BC. There could be some sort of gold value attached to the find, or maybe just a boost in your culture rating.
                      I know that there won't be any tourism in the game, but I did have a connected idea. What if when you destroy a city (kill all the civilians in it), it creates ruins. These ruins will generate trade for cities nearby (representing increased tourism) in that civ or for the conquering civ. It could be like a resource that you have to connect to your city with roads.

Comment

I personally like them, as they always added to the whole gaming experience. However, when i first read of CivIII's anti-ICS strategies, i immediately thought of goody huts.

By reducing the ability to ICS, they have inadvertently greatly increased the value of goody huts. How much more valuable is a settler from a goody hut going to be now? Considering that settlers now cost 2 population points, isn't a settler found in a goody hut going to be worth twice as much?

Goody huts already largely determine the outcome of games in Civ2, which means that in Civ3 it will be even more important. In many (if not most) games, the goody huts will decide the outcome.

Firaxis must have goody huts selectable at the start of a game. This will be absolutely essential in multiplayer games, as players will simply drop out of games where they suspect that an opponent has had more than their fair share of free cities and settlers. If they have PBEM, if will be even worse, with players dropping out after months instead of minutes

Goody huts should not only be selectable, but restricted to workers and no settlers or free cities.

Comment

jeezus! the things you people are asking for in the setup screens these days! THey'll spend years just making them all! You'll have to have 5 pages of customizable rules alone!

btw, i just made a 1891 space launch in occ
                          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
                            jeezus! the things you people are asking for in the setup screens these days! THey'll spend years just making them all! You'll have to have 5 pages of customizable rules alone!

btw, i just made a 1891 space launch in occ
                            i agree sire
                            Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

I've had no problem with the huts. If you don't like them, don't touch them.

I'm sure the other civs would appreciate your generosity

Comment

Working...
                              X