settlers and workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UberKrux

Hey UberKrux, isn't it embarassing falling for a hoax?

Rumor: Nostradamus predicted the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center.

And Uber, did you know the word gullible isn't in the dictionary? If you don't believe me- look it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
      I have never understood why so many people think it is so wonderful to micromanage a bunch of settler/worker units all over the map to make roads and other such improvements. I hated that in CivII. Furthermore, removing a population from the city to accomplish this seems extreme to me.

CtPs public works system wasn't perfect but it gave a sense of government projects being completed with public funds and hired hands. And, if you saved up enough, you could build many things at once. This was appropriate simply because every turn spanned 5, 10, 20, or even 50 years.

Although, I must admit, I never have understood why the player (and thus the government of the civ) should be allowed to build things like farms, mines, marketplaces, etc. These are things that would be built privately by entrepreneurial individuals.

Oh well.
      I vote for the CTP method, for the reasons mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy
        try playing SMAC - the 'new' system has already been tried and tested for 3 years...
        Hmmm... maybe I'm a bit of an outsider , but ehhh... I really did not like SMAC at all.

But the decision to split up the old setteler in a seperate settler and a worker seems quite valid to me. Makes planning a bit more easy.

I also rarely played CTP (sold it within a week) and never heard of Tropico. But the idea of a global construction queue sounds pretty nice. As for me I think it should be able to group a couple of workers and link them to a queue. This way you could avoid problems mentioned earlier this tread like workers, wandering half the world to arrive when the job is done. Also the trickyness of having the game decide which workers to put on job will be avoided. And simply ungroup them to let them go their own way.

Thinking 'bout this
        Maybe it's even better not to group them. We should just be able to create one or more queues. Then one could link one or more workers to it. (Just an extra order/keycombination, a list of running queues shows up, pick one and the worker starts working at the highest priority job in the queue). When the queue is empty, a message pops up if you want to add jobs or delete the queue. When deleted, all workers become available again. Of course a worker can be disconnected from a queue at any time.
        Last edited by tuckson; September 15, 2001, 12:52.
        -------------------------------><------------------------------
        History should be known for learning from the past...
        Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.
        -------------------------------><------------------------------

Comment

whats even better about the seperation between settlers/workers is that in scenarios, you can disable settlers and still improve terrain.

it was messed up when the Russians in the WW2 Scenario started founding millions of new cities.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
          X