Clear All

Leonidas:
    "1) no 800x600 resolution
    2) no demo
    3) no outside beta testing
    4) only 16 civs
    5) odd-looking roads
    6) zoom function?
    7) it's going to be buggy - the game is way too complex to rely on a few testers over a period of a few weeks
    8) what about all the shortcuts that have been taken that we don't know about? "

1) This is a good thing, not a shortcut. I'm sure you don't want the units to take up 2/3 of the screen. If you want a lo-res game, play pac-man. When your ready for a game that'll be fun for more than an hour, get a computer built past '96 and call me.
    2) I'm tired of all this whining about a demo. its just b itch, b itch, b itch with some people. If you want a buggy, hacked-up version of a game you can play for five minutes at a time, i guess a demo is for you. take a risk and buy the game. you can read the reviews first if it'll make you happy.
    3) They don't have all year to test. You only want it so you can have a demo first.
    4) 16 civs is plenty, they may even offer more off of their site. The civs aren't going to be more than just names and pics of leaders, they have a lot more work put into them. If picking a civ is going to be more meaningful than a starting point and a name, they can't work on so many at once. Plus you can make your own, you know.
    5) Well, they do look odd, but quirkiness is fine in the name of civ.
    6)Just because there's no banner saying "Check out our zoom function" doesn't mean its not there. besides, is a zoom function innovative?
    7) You have no proof of that.
    8) Again, who says they did take any other shortcuts? A lot of these aren't shortcuts, their just things that you don't find appealing about the game as of yet.

Most important: You have not played this game. You have no evidence with which to complain about it. Firaxis, as you may note, has no obligation to make a game you'll enjoy. Feel blessed for what they give you, not pissed for what they don't.
    Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

Firaxis, as you may note, has no obligation to make a game you'll enjoy. Feel blessed for what they give you, not pissed for what they don't.
      "A fan giving his favorite company some leeway? : $2,000"

"A fan bending over so far he snaps in two? : PRICELESS!"

LOL!!!!
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Maybe i did go a little too far. I want to give them benefit of the doubt. But either way, I'm definitely consulting my chiropractor over this one.
        Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

I want to give them benefit of the doubt. But either way, I'm definitely consulting my chiropractor over this one.
          Yes, I understand wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt. And I wish you good luck on the spinal alignment!
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26

Yes, I understand wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt. And I wish you good luck on the spinal alignment!

Ahhh sheesh...it's a friggen $40 game. Not an automobile. Don't sweat it so much.

Comment

You missed to joke in there somehow I think.

Comment

Both part can be biased, but some seems to forget important facts: usually we are all here not to trash the game, but to have a great game to play (and pay for it).

Some of us spent great effort into having a better game, one that can make players very happy, and that can sell as much as McDonalds Hamburgers.

We don't think Firaxis/Infogrames are Charity Society, who must live for our love, but we aren't cows they can butcher at their own pleasure

Of course some opinion are still to be verified, but that works both ways: any claim of "greatest game ever" or "badly rushed bugfest" must be proven.

----------
                Sorry - I must interrupt here because I listen now of the Terrostic attack against the trade center and Pentagon. ---- I haven't the heart to continue
                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Rushing civ3 might be a good idea!

I agree.

I also think agree with:

1) driving a motorcycle without a helmet improves your IQ

2) wearing seatbelts in cars is a waste of time

3) smoking is good for your health and helps you grow

4) sugar builds strong teeth. . .

Comment

Quote by issac brock

Most important: You have not played this game. You have no evidence with which to complain about it. Firaxis, as you may note, has no obligation to make a game you'll enjoy. Feel blessed for what they give you, not pissed for what they don't

1) The game is being rushed to meet a deadline. It explains why all the "extras" weren't included.

2) Firaxis has no obligation to make a game I'll enjoy? Are you serious? The gaming industry is DEMAND driven; not SUPPLY driven. Without consumers buying Firaxis' games, the company would simply not exist. Period. If you don't believe me check out all the empty offices that used to house gaming companies who apparently also forget this simple market principle.

3) I should feel blessed? Hmmm. . . If they don't make a game I like or what other consumers want, we simply won't buy the game. If that is the case, see #2 above for the expected results of this situation.

4) If a game is unfinished or buggy, the consumers will abandon it in droves. I don't expect this of Civ3. It will still be a superior game. However, the game is being released in October because of the publisher's demands not because Firaxis thinks the game is ready.

Comment

edit
                      Last edited by Fidel; September 11, 2001, 13:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannamagnus
                        Mind you Leonidas, you might be right on all counts but so far there is no solid proof on any of these points. So rather than being a profit of doom and gloom I prefer to look forward to a potentialy wonderful game which gives as many hours of addictive enjoyment as civ2 did.
                        Be honest, isn't this true for nearly all discussions thatbecame so hot in the past few weeks?
                        -------------------------------><------------------------------
                        History should be known for learning from the past...
                        Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.
                        -------------------------------><------------------------------

Comment

I expect Civ3 to still be a great game.

But remember the publisher wants it released in October, not Firaxis.

I just hope that Firaxis can get everything working well come that release date.

Comment

And remember that more time spent on developing does not necessarily lead to a better game at all. In fact, some of the most grotesque failurse in PC gaming land were with games that had excessive development time (Diablo2, Daikatana).

Let's just hope for the best now and pass judgement on factual info later.

Comment

Nevermind.
                              Last edited by Ozymandous; September 12, 2001, 11:33.

Comment

Working...
                              X