No announcement yet.

Is Civ3 being rushed? Please vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I choose the second statement, but we must read " little used feature...by me . Every player has a distinct order of preferences about game features....
    The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

korn, your bang on the money! anyone who kids themselves that Civ3 is being rushed is ..er.. kidding themselves!

no demo
      no beta
      no MP

and thats just the stuff we know about, it's got deadline written all over it.

how can you not have a public beta with a agmes like civ?

Comment

Precisely. There can't possibly be too many more clear signs. What will it take? A statement from Firaxis saying: "Damn, we rushed this thing"? They can't say that. But they are leaving big footprints as they walk toward this deadline...and common sense is all we need to see that this looks more like a dog than anything else.

Nice post, Korn.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

dog: (definition 8): one inferior of its kind: as a : an investment not worth its price b : an undesirable piece of merchandise
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

re: above

i meant "isn't" not is

Comment

thanks yin

all i'm trying to do is sound the alarm and tell people to expect that the early going with Civ3 will probably be really rough, and hopefully firaxis will devote the time to fixing it. if you are an early adopter of civ3 you had better be ready, because you will be paying to beta test...i have no problem paying to beta test, but if firaxis has no intention of fixing the problems that arose from rushing the game out the door then why even bother?

nearly every game today includes Multiplayer, and if civ3 was as on track as what everybody thinks then there would be absolutely no reason why multiplayer wouldn't be included, because not having multiplayer in civ3 will cost it sales, maybe not many but at least some

also there is more competition in the computer industry than ever, civ3 is no longer innovative game that civ was...it is one of many strategy games...look at the feature list for empire earth

*Epic scope - spans over 500,000 years, from the discovery of fire to laser technology nd beyond.
              *14 different Epochs - replay all of human history or just the span of time that interests you.
              *Train more than 200 different kinds of units.
              *Battle on land, air, and sea - in addition to armies, you can build wide varieties of ships and aircraft.
              *Fight wars of the future with advanced robotic and anti-gravity units using secret weapons.
              *Enlist great historical Heroes - such as William the Conqueror and Patton - to enhance your military abilities.
              *Customize your military units by improving their strength or equipment.
              *Play in Standard mode for a more-strategic empire building game or Tournament mode for faster-paced action
              *Have your Prophets devastate opponents with Calamities such as hurricanes, earthquakes, and deadly plagues.
              *Engage in historic siege warfare - breach an enemy's walls with catapults, rams, and siege towers.
              *Increase the morale of your soldiers to improve their offensive and defensive capabilities.
              *Match wits with the cunning AI or coordinate attacks with your computer-player allies.
              *Construct 20 types of buildings and research 150 technologies. *A helpful technology tree foldout is included.
              *Temples, Universities, and other buildings provide additional defensive measures beyond walls and towers.
              *Create your own civilization from 100 different attributes or choose from 21 predefined civilizations.
              *Different paths to victory, including military conquest and constructing Wonders of the World.
              *Six different Wonders, each with its own special power.
              *Special effects such as a day/night cycle, weather, translucent water, smoke, and special attack effects.
              *Experience expertly balanced gameplay - each unit has its strengths and weaknesses.
              *Gather 5 different resources that vary in importance depending on your strategy.
              *Play four epic single-player campaigns that each follow a civilization's extraordinary rise to power.
              *Training scenarios guide you through the basics of game play.
              *Gorgeous random maps of various types and sizes for the ultimate replayablity.
              *Create your own original maps, scenarios, campaigns, and even in-game movies with the included editors.
              basically Empire Earth is a RTS version of civ

then next year right around multiplayer comes out civ3 will have to compete with WarCraft 3, Age of Mythologies, MoO3, and EU2

so this no multiplayer in civ3 will hopefully be just a hoax and hopefully civ3 will be polished to perfection, but civ3 hit beta on Agust 23, and it will hit retail (if the various sites are correct) on october, 30, so civ3 will have about a seven or eight week beta, lets just hope that is enough time for them to catch all of the major glitches

Comment

*Epic scope - spans over 500,000 years, from the discovery of fire to laser technology nd beyond.
                i can have civ2 start at 500,000bc
                it's the same as starting at 4,000bc
                *14 different Epochs - replay all of human history or just the span of time that interests you.
                cut the game in 14 piecies with enough "distance" between them
                *Train more than 200 different kinds of units.
                only?
                *Battle on land, air, and sea - in addition to armies, you can build wide varieties of ships and aircraft.
                nothing new here
                *Fight wars of the future with advanced robotic and anti-gravity units using secret weapons.
                already done in ctp1
                *Enlist great historical Heroes - such as William the Conqueror and Patton - to enhance your military abilities.
                already done in ctp2, in harlan's alexander scenario
                *Customize your military units by improving their strength or equipment.
                smac
                *Play in Standard mode for a more-strategic empire building game or Tournament mode for faster-paced action
                wow, you now actually get the time to think about what you're doing
                *Have your Prophets devastate opponents with Calamities such as hurricanes, earthquakes, and deadly plagues.
                ah, at last the power of prophets in human history is shown in this realistic historical game
                *Engage in historic siege warfare - breach an enemy's walls with catapults, rams, and siege towers.
                cities can have walls and you can brake them!
                *Increase the morale of your soldiers to improve their offensive and defensive capabilities.
                barracks
                *Match wits with the cunning AI or coordinate attacks with your computer-player allies.
                a cunning AI
                *Construct 20 types of buildings and research 150 technologies.
                so?
                *A helpful technology tree foldout is included.
                just like civ1, civ2....
                *Temples, Universities, and other buildings provide additional defensive measures beyond walls and towers.
                wow?
                *Create your own civilization from 100 different attributes or choose from 21 predefined civilizations.
                100 attributes that each change your civ by 1%?
                *Different paths to victory, including military conquest and constructing Wonders of the World.
                how about going to alpha centauri
                *Six different Wonders, each with its own special power.
                six?
                *Special effects such as a day/night cycle, weather, translucent water, smoke, and special attack effects.
                excuse me, am i going to "live" every single day from 500,000bc until today?
                *Experience expertly balanced gameplay - each unit has its strengths and weaknesses.
                so not all units are the same! amazing idea!
                *Gather 5 different resources that vary in importance depending on your strategy.
                how mant resources does civ3 have?
                *Play four epic single-player campaigns that each follow a civilization's extraordinary rise to power.
                nothing new
                *Training scenarios guide you through the basics of game play.
                nothing new
                *Gorgeous random maps of various types and sizes for the ultimate replayablity.
                nothing new
                *Create your own original maps, scenarios, campaigns, and even in-game movies with the included editors.
                nothing new

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Mark here is the civ3 feature list, I wanna see your rundown of it

*More interactions, alliances and realistic artificial intelligence responses put players in the middle of negotiations, trade systems and diplomatic actions. Advanced trade system to manage resources, trade routes and spread of technology.
                  *Improved combat options provide finer levels of control for enhanced war-making capabilities.
                  *Technologies, Wonders Of The World and Great People expand the scope of the game.
                  *New elements of Culture, Nationality and the Arts help players plan a new peaceful pathway to victory.
                  *Active world generator creates more realistic maps and organic terrain features.
                  *The most detailed and beautiful art, animations and sound ever found in the genre.
                  *Easier-to-use interface for streamlined management and better control.

Comment

*More interactions, alliances and realistic artificial intelligence responses put players in the middle of negotiations, trade systems and diplomatic actions. Advanced trade system to manage resources, trade routes and spread of technology.
                    better diplomacy than smac
                    trade is back and also better
                    *Improved combat options provide finer levels of control for enhanced war-making capabilities.
                    extra level of veterans and armies create an iprovement over civ2 and smac
                    *Technologies, Wonders Of The World and Great People expand the scope of the game.
                    indeed they do!
                    especiall on wonders, more and two kinds of them, with a connection to the resource model
                    *New elements of Culture, Nationality and the Arts help players plan a new peaceful pathway to victory.
                    never such things where that important in a strategy game before
                    *Active world generator creates more realistic maps and organic terrain features.
                    just look at those mountains!
                    *The most detailed and beautiful art, animations and sound ever found in the genre.
                    one word: city view and palace
                    *Easier-to-use interface for streamlined management and better control.
                    you have sid talking to you, what better interface feature do you need?

Comment

i thought you'd be a little more upbeat about it actually

you know what would be funny? if they had to cut out all of the game except for the Sid advisor who tries to convince you that you are actually playing the game

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                        you know what would be funny? if they had to cut out all of the game except for the Sid advisor who tries to convince you that you are actually playing the game
                        [yin mode]
                        jeff morris: hey Sid, infogrames doesnt like the idea with our faces on the advisors!
                        sid meier: OVER MY DEAD BODY!
                        [/yin mode]

Comment

korn - i am actually thinking about buying empire earth - it looks like a good game... of course civ3 comes first... and so does moo3... and, oh, what the hell, so does warcraft3....

no seriously it does look like a good game, its just coming out at the wrong time
                          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Hey everyone check out my forum at delphi.

"Oderint dum probent"

Comment

Originally posted by genghisvick
                              Hey everyone check out my forum at delphi.

http://forums.delphi.com/PowerUser/start
                              Nice site genghisvick, but you should really post this in the Off Topic Forum , since your site doesn't deal with the thread's topic - except for 3 of your posters who have stated that they wouldn't buy Civ3 since it's not their type of game.
                              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I voted for Civ3 to be perfect in every way. Every thing I have read and saw points to this and the best thing that could have happen was no mulitplayer for 5 months. This means that Firaxis probaly never had any attention of wasting time on mulitplayer from the beginning and have instead spent all thier time on making Civ3 the best SP experince in gaming history.

Comment

Working...
                                X