My prediction for civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My prediction for civ3

I think the pessimism and frustration on this board comes from the fact that we love civ so much that we are just very nervous about what civ3 will be like. We are afraid of being dissapointed.
    But I think that when the game is released, most posters here will be relieved, and very happy about the way civ3 turned out.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

It's kind of like hearing that your favorite book is being scripted and made into a film; it could be great, or it could just be changed totally and not do the original justice. Well, I think Firaxis is aware of this and that Civ3 is in good hands.

Everything will be OK.

Comment

this sounds like alchoholics anonymous. maybe we should form a club - the ca *civers anonymous lol
      And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Yeah, everything will be great if MP is included. MP is just as important to me as is SP to me. SP is what I mainly play even after I start playing MP but I get the most fun out of MP after playing SP for a few games.
        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Laszlo
          It's kind of like hearing that your favorite book is being scripted and made into a film; it could be great, or it could just be changed totally and not do the original justice. Well, I think Firaxis is aware of this and that Civ3 is in good hands.

Everything will be OK.
          actually more like a sequel to your fav movie. sometimes it even gets better....e.g. terminator 2....

Comment

sometimes it even gets better....e.g. terminator 2....
            or like an American Pie 2 but sometimes you get something like an Ace Ventura 2.
            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

american pie was pretty dire.

Comment

A few years ago there was smacaholics anonymous. There was a five part thread on the first UBB official SMAC forums and I was leader of the institute for awhile. We even had Prosmac. It was more about how to stop posting on the forums than about discussing frustration or worry about how SMAC might not be good.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                  I think the pessimism and frustration on this board comes from the fact that we love civ so much that we are just very nervous about what civ3 will be like. We are afraid of being dissapointed.
                  But I think that when the game is released, most posters here will be relieved, and very happy about the way civ3 turned out.
                  You can say that again. One can of course interpret the lack of demo and MP as signs of a "rushed" game. But one can just as much interpret it as the opposite. Firaxis:

"Lets give up the demo and postpone the MP-part temporarily so we can redirect our limited man-hours on an highly polished SP-game instead. Then we can turn our attention fully on the MP-issue and other added extension-pack features. Lets do this properly: on step at a time".

I guess this is one of those "glass half-empty vs half-full" kind of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
                    "Lets give up the demo and postpone the MP-part temporarily so we can redirect our limited man-hours on an highly polished SP-game instead. Then we can turn our attention fully on the MP-issue and other added extension-pack features. Lets do this properly: on step at a time".
                    Also my approach, but I´d really like yin26 to comment on this ...
                    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by Laszlo
                      Its like dreaming your whole life to someday afford and buy a brand new Ford Mustang. Well now its here and its got defective Firestone tires.

Grrrrr.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

If true, then Firaxis has been hiding the fact that there will be no multiplayer. They have been pulling a fast one on their most dedicated fan base. This approach has me worried.

What else will be missing and/or buggy?

Better start warming up your modems - sounds like a batch of patches will soon be lining up to be downloaded. . .

Comment

or not, you cant say till you have the game...
                          "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Leonidas, you have to trust Firaxis a little bit more in my oppinion! I think they will do the best they are able to, AND make money out of it, of course!
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
                              If true, then Firaxis has been hiding the fact that there will be no multiplayer. They have been pulling a fast one on their most dedicated fan base. This approach has me worried.

What else will be missing and/or buggy?

Better start warming up your modems - sounds like a batch of patches will soon be lining up to be downloaded. . .
                              Do you really think that Firaxis is doing this on purpose to screw us?
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Working...
                              X