I wonder what nukes look like...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder what nukes look like...?

Do you think Nukes in CivIII will be just explosions that reduce the city by 1/2 or larger, "plenet buster" style explosions.

Just wondering.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

A nice feature would be a little movie clip of a nuke explosion and the subsequent mushroom cloud. At least when the first nuke is used/tested.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I hope for a nice big mushroom cloud explosion like in SMAC.

I also hope that the effect of a nuke is more like the planet buster (ie city completely destroyed) instead of the 1/2 pop reduction of civ2.

the nuke explosion in ctp2 was pathetic!
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

So was the one in civ2

I guess the result of a nuke should depend on the size of a city.
        A small city should be vanished, a medium sized city should be reduced to small and a big city should become medium.

And of course important building are crushed.

Also hope for a nice explosion, Maybe a screen blank for a while too?

Grtx
        -------------------------------><------------------------------
        History should be known for learning from the past...
        Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.
        -------------------------------><------------------------------

Comment

I think that the nuke should eliminate 1/2 to 3/4 of the population, and also destroy all the city improvements, small wonders, and maybe major wonders. I think that the green goo makes it more realistic because it melts everything in its path and the material that was melted becomes radioactive goo!!! Just some thoughts!!!
          "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
          "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

i really liked the planet buster, whereas it turned the ground underneath it into water.

THAT RULES.

a nuke could destroy a whole city, could it not?
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Nagasaki and Hiroshima are still on my map of Japan. Cities will still exist after a nuclear detonation. How much depends on the blast radius and the size of the city.

Even with large yield bombs the larger cities wil not be completely obliterated. Especially sprawled cities, like LA.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Well...if you have studied nuclear warfare even just a little, you know they ain't anything like they were in civ2. And its not just that they were NOT realistic, they were just too lame and WAY TOO weak.

I would hope that they were like this:

1 nuke in city = all population killed in small, medium, and large size cities. If there were cities with Mega populations (eg. New York in real life), with say...a population that reached above 30, they would become mega-size. and a nuke would destroy 3/4's of the population in "megas". In all cities and cases of nuclear explosions, all of that city's(s) improvements would be destroyed, with the exception of "megas" which would destroy 3/4's of the improvements. in cities sizes small and medium, all of the small wonders (if any) would be destroyed. small wonders in large city's would be destroyed by 3/4, and in mega's, 1/2. Unless the city was a mega, 1 great wonder would be destroyed in that city. also, I personally think that a radiation/fallout field should 'shroud' the land surrounding the city, damaging the agriculture and any units that are there for the next several turns.

BTW, Firaxis has mentioned a small 'tad' of Nuclear warfare in one of their interviews, I believe it was the 2nd one at Gamespot: it goes somethin' like this,

"...When a civilization reaches that time in the modern era when nuclear weaponry is available, you had better be the one with the weapons, or your screwed. If a nuclear holocaust does happen, you are lucky to survive it...nuclear warfare is just down right, DEVESTATING..."
                - Jeff Brigg's

those aren't his exact words, but that's the general idea. Unless Firaxis has gone back on this quote, I have high hopes that nuclear wafare will be much improved from that crappy civ2 style.

Comment

Im wondering what the effect of the "green goo" radiation will be, interesting stuff... and if the workers can clean it up. Maybe we need a Greenpeace wonder
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                    Nagasaki and Hiroshima are still on my map of Japan. Cities will still exist after a nuclear detonation. How much depends on the blast radius and the size of the city.

Even with large yield bombs the larger cities wil not be completely obliterated. Especially sprawled cities, like LA.
                    you are correct to a certain extent, the mega cities (such as L.A. and New York) will not be completely obliterated, BUT...the population will eventually die out. radiation is considered even more devastating then the explosion itself.

"Nagasaki and Hiroshima are still on my map of Japan..."

this may be true, but if you research, Hiroshima was one of the largest cities in southern Japan during WWII. Now, its quite small. And though the actuall cities themselves were not destroyed, nearly all the populations' were. Most of the people that did survive the blast...died in the next 5-10 years from the after-affects of the radiation.

Comment

Well, seeing as Firaxes is going for a very natural "look" and feel with all the graphics, I would expect the nuke explosion to look very realistic as well.
                      If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

I also think(though it's late for such an addition) that nuke usage should be greatly avoided by the civs in game(even your civ).It was overly popular as a military tactic in civ2 (IMHO) and though this makes for good battles it's not that realistic.Players should be freightened to use nukes and settlers-workers shouldn't be able to fix the damage made. Also it should create anarchy for two turns for each nuke attack(which would mean, say two attacs in one turn=4 subsequent turns anarchy) and a possibility of a revolt in your empire(after all nuke users detroy the future of their subjects).The penalty should be less if you're only counter-attacking(unless you overly passionate about it) retaliation should be 1.5 max(for every 2 attacks you get less penalty for 3 attacks).Also other nations should percieve the 1st one in a battle using nukes as a universal threat and offer the opposing nation military aliances and units.

Comment

Originally posted by tuckson

Also hope for a nice explosion, Maybe a screen blank for a while too?

Grtx
                          What about rebooting you PC
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Internationalist
                            Also it should create anarchy for two turns for each nuke attack(which would mean, say two attacs in one turn=4 subsequent turns anarchy) and a possibility of a revolt in your empire(after all nuke users detroy the future of their subjects).
                            No, after all, when America used 2 nukes in WW2, they didnt fall into anarchy. Was still government as usual.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                              What about rebooting you PC
                              LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

ROFTLMAOYAOMAORFOTLOFTL

That's great

Comment

Working...
                              X