Aaaargh, persian special unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaaargh, persian special unit

I know, some of us don't give a damn about historical accuracy. But the persian immortals were a heavy cavalry unit, whereas the persian special unit seems to be a "Prince of Persia" unit!!! That's pathetic! Swordsmen??????? They don't know what they do!
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Are you sure they were cavalry?

Herodotus kinda indicates that they were on foot. And most classic accounts of the battle of Thermopylae place the Immortals in the fighting - if Xerxes was sending cavalry up a twisty little road against spearmen no wonder the Spartans held him back for so long. It seems more reasonable to suppose they were on foot.

Where did you read they were strictly cavalry?

Britiannica has a picture which depicts them as foot soldiers ...
    Attached Files
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Even if they used horses, we already have the Rider as a unique unit, and if too many of these were knights, I think it would be uninteresting.

About the Immortal, I'm not that much excited about it (4/2/1), but that's ok, because Persia is not a militaristic civ, so they're not supposed to have a very powerful unique unit.

The Rider (4/4/3), on the other hand, despite the terrible name, is extremely powerful and surprisingly fast, which fits well the Chinese civ which is now Militaristic. From the movie we've all just seen, a modern armor also has a movement factor of 3, so this shows how important that knight can be in its proper period of time.

Comment

wonder what the legion is... i know it is a bump up of the swordsman as well...
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

How about a bump up of the Phalanx unit?

Comment

I don't think that there are phalanx any more. Now there's a spearman and the Greek UU, the Hoplite.

Comment

I believe that a better place for this argument is in the Civ3-Civilizations section.

In one of the debates in there the point was made that if you took any civs main unit it would probably have something to do with archers. They all used them up even to the English. So Firaxis is forced to pick a more diverse group to add to the feel of the game even if it declines on history.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Re: Aaaargh, persian special unit

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                But the persian immortals were a heavy cavalry unit
                Huh?!? Are you sure you're not confusing them with Alexander's "Companion Cavalry?"

Comment

Re: Re: Aaaargh, persian special unit

Originally posted by Melios
                  Huh?!? Are you sure you're not confusing them with Alexander's "Companion Cavalry?"
                  I was writing too quickly without checking up But I knew they were not swordsmen and that persians had quite a bit cavalry to say the least. And the sassanid (persians too) elite cataphracts was called immortals, AFAIK. But the original immortals were infantry as it seems, you're right. Interesting side fact: some suggest that Herodot confused Anushiya (=companions) with Anausha (=Immortals). I really had thought before that Alexander's hetairoi were somehow influenced by the immortals. I guess, I've been wrong.
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

is the right expression 'storm in a tea cup pot or glass of water'?

Comment

could be worse (and is)

What do you think about this clip. Cleopatra's of Greek descent. Ah....stupid Firaxis.....will you ever learn? They are going to fix this right?

Comment

Re: could be worse (and is)

Originally posted by squid
                        What do you think about this clip. Cleopatra's of Greek descent. Ah....stupid Firaxis.....will you ever learn? They are going to fix this right?

http://www.civ3.com/images/screenshots/foreign.jpg
                        They changed cleopatra, didn't you know? Just check out the Egyptian civ of the Week, Cleopatra is now aesthetically correct!
                        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

good!

glad to hear it. I'm hoping "Brother Bluto of Delta House" replaces Julius Caesar though. I like him

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso
                            is the right expression 'storm in a tea cup pot or glass of water'?
                            IIRC it's `Tempest in a teapot'.

Joe

Comment

thanx. english as a second language

Comment

Working...
                              X